• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Indiana (1 Viewer)

KimberlyL

Hello all from a sort of newby from Indiana. I grew up with a dad who used to be bird crazy before he got the Embuggerance (Alzheimers, for those of you not Terry Pratchett fans). I used to feed and watch birds with him and fondly remember the frustration of traipsing around in the Everglades, certain I'd seen a flamingo, only to realize it was another roseate spoonbill, dangit.

However other than having backyard feeders, I've never really been a birder myself, per se. I know the obvious ones, but that's about it. But was recently in Florida and saw a bird I'd never seen before and became obsessed with trying to ID it. It was a Limpkin.

Ever since, I've been buying bird guides, phone birding apps, and new binoculars and driving my family a little crazy.

I'm finding ID'ing quite a challenge. I'm staring at sparrows that I can tell are different from one another, but I can't really differentiate between them.

Thanks for having me, and I hope to learn from all of you.

Hi Kimberly and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Don't fret.... quite a few people have problems with your sparrows!! You'll get all the help you need here.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Kimberly, just wanted to add one more welcome to the forum. Sparrows are very tough for me also. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I'd like to say that in response to your difficulty discerning sparrows there was a post just today that led to an article about sparrow ID. It was about the sparrows of Newfoundland so I'm not sure if the species you see would be the same but it also contained some general identification tips you might find useful.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=364201

Last edited:
Welcome! Sparrows are always the hardest - try the big ones first - birds of prey, Eagles, Kites, Vultures etc - all exciting birds to watch

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back