• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 604 or 664 ? (1 Viewer)

CLIVE CLIVE

I decide on a Kowa scope ether a 604 or 664, both about the same price but which one, any advice. I perfer the staight scope version. Thankyou

Last edited:
Hi Clive, I see this is your first post, so may I welcome you on behalf of all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise you

D

CLIVE CLIVE said:
I decide on a Kowa scope ether a 601 or 664 both about the same price but which one, any advice. Thanks
I think there's a mistake there, the 664 is in a different league, it should cost twice as much as the 601.
601 is an angled 60mm scope with standard glass
664 is a straight 66mm scope with the high quality 'prominar' ED glass.

It'd be the 664 every time for me, despite the straight eyepiece.

cheers,
Andy

CLIVE CLIVE said:
I decide on a Kowa scope ether a 601 or 664 both about the same price but which one, any advice. Thanks
If you can afford it, always choose the model that uses "ED" or "Flourite" glass in its construction - in this case, the 664. I would also choose from the new wider angle eyepieces, either a 20-60x zoom or a 30xW. Most people seem to be happier with an angled scope these days as it means the tripod does not need to be extended so far and it can be more comfortable to use - try before you buy is the motto though.

Other models you might consider are the Nikon Fieldscope IIIED or, money permitting, the Zeiss Diascope 65.

Andy Bright said:
I think there's a mistake there, the 664 is in a different league, it should cost twice as much as the 601.
601 is an angled 60mm scope with standard glass
664 is a straight 66mm scope with the high quality 'prominar' ED glass.

It'd be the 664 every time for me, despite the straight eyepiece.

cheers,
Andy

Yes, my mistake it should read 604 / 664. I prefer the straight scope version . Thanks clive

I decide on a Kowa scope ether a 604 or 664, both about the same price but which one, any advice. I perfer the staight scope version. Thankyou

Hi clive you were right in your first question I have a 604 kowa scope and yes it
has ED glass. if you had got one of these you would not be disappointed

If you were comparing a 601 to a 661, I would suggest the 601. (I realize you stated 664).

I looked through a new 661 with a te-9z eyepiece yesterday and was totally unimpressed...

Al lot depends on distance the farther away yo want to see the larger and more expensive scope you need but for lesser distances smaller and lighter scopes will work well. I have both Kowas or asking about and the differences are the 664 is a little brighter and does a little better with the zoom eyepiece cranked up. The little one is what I usually take on trips unless going to the ocean where you'll be farther away. I can also take a smaller and lighter tripod for it. I was in the riviera maya a fer years ago and was able to clearly read the names on ships that were over a half mile at sea with the little Kowa.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back