Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Audubon HR/5 diopter adjustment

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:20   #1
Chhayanat

Audubon HR/5 diopter adjustment

How many diopters of compensation are available for myopic users in the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 HR/5 4b(i)?
Old Friday 24th January 2014, 01:48   #2
elkcub

Good question. I'm not aware of any such catalog specs. on Swift products, or the diopter adjustment ranges either.

Sorry,
Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 24th January 2014, 02:38   #3
Steve C

As I recall the one I had, the diopter was only marked with a zero and arrows indicating plus and minus directions, no numbers in the dial to give any indication of how many diopters movement there were.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 24th January 2014, 05:28   #4
Chhayanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
As I recall the one I had, the diopter was only marked with a zero and arrows indicating plus and minus directions, no numbers in the dial to give any indication of how many diopters movement there were.
Thanks. The reason I asked was that I could not get infinity focus with a 1985 serial number 804R without my spectacles. I wear approximately -4.5 for distance vision with some compensation for axis and cylindrical power.
Old Friday 24th January 2014, 20:43   #5
Steve C

I don't know what kind of competent repair facilities you can access from where you are. It is a relatively simple matter to adjust focus. I do not know how much the focus can be adjusted for your use, but be aware that the close focus function will be altered dramatically, like maybe to a close focus of 50-60 feet.

It is doable on my older Audubon 1c, but I never did anything with the HR/5.

I guess all of this depends on how much you want the binocular.

Old Saturday 25th January 2014, 06:46   #6
Chhayanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I don't know what kind of competent repair facilities you can access from where you are. It is a relatively simple matter to adjust focus. I do not know how much the focus can be adjusted for your use, but be aware that the close focus function will be altered dramatically, like maybe to a close focus of 50-60 feet.

It is doable on my older Audubon 1c, but I never did anything with the HR/5.

I guess all of this depends on how much you want the binocular.
At present the glasses are in the US awaiting the conenience of Nicolas Crista. A close focus of 50-60 feet is much too far away, so I will just leave the glasses alone. At present, the close focus seems to be between 10-14 feet which is pretty good for a porro..

Chhayanat

Last edited by Chhayanat : Saturday 25th January 2014 at 14:23. Reason: wrong choice of word
Old Sunday 26th January 2014, 03:28   #7
Steve C

Well if Nicholas has them, there is probably nobody better to pose your question to.

Old Sunday 26th January 2014, 17:29   #8
Howard220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
At present the glasses are in the US awaiting the conenience of Nicolas Crista. A close focus of 50-60 feet is much too far away, so I will just leave the glasses alone. At present, the close focus seems to be between 10-14 feet which is pretty good for a porro..

Chhayanat
Make sure Nicolas clearly understands what you are looking for with regard to focus setting. He initially set my 804R's to just reach infinity. (And oh, what a spectacular view after he worked them over.) But I had to send them back so that they would focus a little past infinity to ensure my myopic eyes would be able to focus them at infinity - without eyeglasses or contacts. I hope that makes sense!

Howard
Old Monday 27th January 2014, 04:40   #9
Chhayanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard220 View Post
Make sure Nicolas clearly understands what you are looking for with regard to focus setting. He initially set my 804R's to just reach infinity. (And oh, what a spectacular view after he worked them over.) But I had to send them back so that they would focus a little past infinity to ensure my myopic eyes would be able to focus them at infinity - without eyeglasses or contacts. I hope that makes sense!

Howard
My friend who took the glasses to the US, is awaiting a response from Nicolas Crista because his website says that glasses are not to be sent without speaking with him first.

Your suggestions re. infinity focus make eminent sense. Unfortunately, I have astigmatism as well and am, therefore, precluded from using binoculars without spectacles. In fact the 1980s Carl Zeiss Jena brochures used to warn against users with "heavy ametropia" from using their binoculars without spectacles. Given the poor eye relief of their Jenoptems, one had frequently to ignore this warning, till increasing myopia and astigmatism made viewing without spectacles unprofitable.
Old Tuesday 28th January 2014, 20:44   #10
Howard220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
Your suggestions re. infinity focus make eminent sense. Unfortunately, I have astigmatism as well and am, therefore, precluded from using binoculars without spectacles. In fact the 1980s Carl Zeiss Jena brochures used to warn against users with "heavy ametropia" from using their binoculars without spectacles. Given the poor eye relief of their Jenoptems, one had frequently to ignore this warning, till increasing myopia and astigmatism made viewing without spectacles unprofitable.
Since you must wear spectacles, then you should be able to see through the Audubons just fine at the far focus Nicolas will set them to.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 18:57   #11
Chhayanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard220 View Post
Since you must wear spectacles, then you should be able to see through the Audubons just fine at the far focus Nicolas will set them to.
Let's see what Nicolas Crista has to say about the Audubons. I had asked my original question because I thought the far focus was a little too far away without spectacles. With spectacles, as you say, the far focus ought to be all right. Thanks.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: