Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Audubon HR/5 diopter adjustment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:20   #1
Chhayanat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Cow Belt
Posts: 178
Audubon HR/5 diopter adjustment

How many diopters of compensation are available for myopic users in the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 HR/5 4b(i)?
Chhayanat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 24th January 2014, 01:48   #2
elkcub
Registered User
 
elkcub's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,484
Good question. I'm not aware of any such catalog specs. on Swift products, or the diopter adjustment ranges either.

Sorry,
Ed
__________________
Understanding optics is child's play compared to understanding child's play.
Nullius in verba
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts." Richard Feynman
elkcub is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 24th January 2014, 02:38   #3
Steve C
Registered User
 
Steve C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Posts: 3,628
As I recall the one I had, the diopter was only marked with a zero and arrows indicating plus and minus directions, no numbers in the dial to give any indication of how many diopters movement there were.
__________________
Steve

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.
Steve C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 24th January 2014, 05:28   #4
Chhayanat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Cow Belt
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
As I recall the one I had, the diopter was only marked with a zero and arrows indicating plus and minus directions, no numbers in the dial to give any indication of how many diopters movement there were.
Thanks. The reason I asked was that I could not get infinity focus with a 1985 serial number 804R without my spectacles. I wear approximately -4.5 for distance vision with some compensation for axis and cylindrical power.
Chhayanat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 24th January 2014, 20:43   #5
Steve C
Registered User
 
Steve C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Posts: 3,628
I don't know what kind of competent repair facilities you can access from where you are. It is a relatively simple matter to adjust focus. I do not know how much the focus can be adjusted for your use, but be aware that the close focus function will be altered dramatically, like maybe to a close focus of 50-60 feet.

It is doable on my older Audubon 1c, but I never did anything with the HR/5.

I guess all of this depends on how much you want the binocular.
__________________
Steve

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.
Steve C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 25th January 2014, 06:46   #6
Chhayanat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Cow Belt
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I don't know what kind of competent repair facilities you can access from where you are. It is a relatively simple matter to adjust focus. I do not know how much the focus can be adjusted for your use, but be aware that the close focus function will be altered dramatically, like maybe to a close focus of 50-60 feet.

It is doable on my older Audubon 1c, but I never did anything with the HR/5.

I guess all of this depends on how much you want the binocular.
At present the glasses are in the US awaiting the conenience of Nicolas Crista. A close focus of 50-60 feet is much too far away, so I will just leave the glasses alone. At present, the close focus seems to be between 10-14 feet which is pretty good for a porro..

Chhayanat

Last edited by Chhayanat : Saturday 25th January 2014 at 14:23. Reason: wrong choice of word
Chhayanat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 26th January 2014, 03:28   #7
Steve C
Registered User
 
Steve C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Posts: 3,628
Well if Nicholas has them, there is probably nobody better to pose your question to.
__________________
Steve

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.
Steve C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 26th January 2014, 17:29   #8
Howard220
Registered User
 
Howard220's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: eastern upstate NY
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
At present the glasses are in the US awaiting the conenience of Nicolas Crista. A close focus of 50-60 feet is much too far away, so I will just leave the glasses alone. At present, the close focus seems to be between 10-14 feet which is pretty good for a porro..

Chhayanat
Make sure Nicolas clearly understands what you are looking for with regard to focus setting. He initially set my 804R's to just reach infinity. (And oh, what a spectacular view after he worked them over.) But I had to send them back so that they would focus a little past infinity to ensure my myopic eyes would be able to focus them at infinity - without eyeglasses or contacts. I hope that makes sense!

Howard
Howard220 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 27th January 2014, 04:40   #9
Chhayanat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Cow Belt
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard220 View Post
Make sure Nicolas clearly understands what you are looking for with regard to focus setting. He initially set my 804R's to just reach infinity. (And oh, what a spectacular view after he worked them over.) But I had to send them back so that they would focus a little past infinity to ensure my myopic eyes would be able to focus them at infinity - without eyeglasses or contacts. I hope that makes sense!

Howard
My friend who took the glasses to the US, is awaiting a response from Nicolas Crista because his website says that glasses are not to be sent without speaking with him first.

Your suggestions re. infinity focus make eminent sense. Unfortunately, I have astigmatism as well and am, therefore, precluded from using binoculars without spectacles. In fact the 1980s Carl Zeiss Jena brochures used to warn against users with "heavy ametropia" from using their binoculars without spectacles. Given the poor eye relief of their Jenoptems, one had frequently to ignore this warning, till increasing myopia and astigmatism made viewing without spectacles unprofitable.
Chhayanat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 28th January 2014, 20:44   #10
Howard220
Registered User
 
Howard220's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: eastern upstate NY
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
Your suggestions re. infinity focus make eminent sense. Unfortunately, I have astigmatism as well and am, therefore, precluded from using binoculars without spectacles. In fact the 1980s Carl Zeiss Jena brochures used to warn against users with "heavy ametropia" from using their binoculars without spectacles. Given the poor eye relief of their Jenoptems, one had frequently to ignore this warning, till increasing myopia and astigmatism made viewing without spectacles unprofitable.
Since you must wear spectacles, then you should be able to see through the Audubons just fine at the far focus Nicolas will set them to.
Howard220 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 18:57   #11
Chhayanat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Cow Belt
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard220 View Post
Since you must wear spectacles, then you should be able to see through the Audubons just fine at the far focus Nicolas will set them to.
Let's see what Nicolas Crista has to say about the Audubons. I had asked my original question because I thought the far focus was a little too far away without spectacles. With spectacles, as you say, the far focus ought to be all right. Thanks.
Chhayanat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diopter adjustment better focus bluedubius Photography using 'Astro' telescopes 3 Saturday 8th January 2011 00:42
Diopter adjustment distance Bugtographer Zeiss 3 Tuesday 26th October 2010 10:08
Diopter Adjustment Question Excogitus Binoculars 11 Sunday 21st March 2010 00:33
SLC 8x30 diopter adjustment stephentappin Swarovski 5 Saturday 28th November 2009 16:44
Diopter adjustment Lewie Binoculars 13 Thursday 19th October 2006 16:39

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.18569493 seconds with 25 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:18.