Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Loch Garten Ospreys

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 16th April 2005, 11:12   #26
kas

Well spotted Tiger_mz.

It is now an hour and a half since you posted that picture and EJ is still not back on her nest. I dont know if it is her on a perch on the other webcam, looking very wet. If so why is she not incubating ?

How long can the egg be exposed to what looks like a cold wet day, before it becomes it comes to any harm ?
Old Saturday 16th April 2005, 17:04   #27
therealijn

Something definitely not right at Boat of Garten.The egg we saw this morning is gone and the bird that has been seen periodically at the nest today looks like a different Osprey. C'mon Mr. Warden - get your diary filled in please.
Old Saturday 16th April 2005, 17:12   #28
kas

Your right something is wrong.
Having been at home all day, I keep going back to the webcam and have only seen a bird on the nest once.
It is sooooooo fruastrating seeing the webcam pictures and not knowing what is actually happening!
Old Saturday 16th April 2005, 17:16   #29
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealijn
Something definitely not right at Boat of Garten.The egg we saw this morning is gone and the bird that has been seen periodically at the nest today looks like a different Osprey. C'mon Mr. Warden - get your diary filled in please.
I agree that something is wrong. The egg may well be covered up but it is still srange behaviour.
Old Saturday 16th April 2005, 17:51   #30
Sandra (Taylor)

Osprey Diary

I had a reply to an e-mail to the Osprey Centre when I queried why the diary was only updated weekly. The lady said the staff were very busy and there had been problems at HQ where the diary is put on the internet. But I think so early in proceedings this ought to be a priority until things settle down and then we would be happy with weekly reports. At the moment we are just relying on talking amongst ourselves but we don't know what is actually happening. Wonder if the staff there log on to BF?

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 17th April 2005, 16:28   #31
kas

Is this the egg or another egg at EJs feet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	video4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	19502  
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 12:51   #32
Paul F

Called in at Loch Garten visitors centre to get the latest news.
EJ laid her egg on Friday (product of mating with VS) There has been much fighting between different males for posession of the nest. Firstly an unringed male sent EJ packing and then early yesterday morning a smaller and younger male Red 8T (1 or 2 years old) fought and won against the unringed male.

There is much concern that 8T may not be mature enough to understand his new responsibilities with regard to providing fish for EJ whilst she sits on her egg. Now that EJ has been sitting and warmed the egg she cannot now leave the nest and allow the it to cool or it will become sterile. Whilst there EJ seemed very vocal and agitated - probably hungry and trying to get 8T to go fishing. In his defence the weather was not good for fishing with all the rain the water in the river, lochs and fisheries was very cloudy.

Keep your eyes on the webcams!

ps Henry has not been heard of and we must assume the worst. A shame he was a wonderful father and mate.

Paul F
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 16:01   #33
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F
Called in at Loch Garten visitors centre to get the latest news.
EJ laid her egg on Friday (product of mating with VS) There has been much fighting between different males for posession of the nest. Firstly an unringed male sent EJ packing and then early yesterday morning a smaller and younger male Red 8T (1 or 2 years old) fought and won against the unringed male.

There is much concern that 8T may not be mature enough to understand his new responsibilities with regard to providing fish for EJ whilst she sits on her egg. Now that EJ has been sitting and warmed the egg she cannot now leave the nest and allow the it to cool or it will become sterile. Whilst there EJ seemed very vocal and agitated - probably hungry and trying to get 8T to go fishing. In his defence the weather was not good for fishing with all the rain the water in the river, lochs and fisheries was very cloudy.

Keep your eyes on the webcams!

ps Henry has not been heard of and we must assume the worst. A shame he was a wonderful father and mate.

Paul F
Surely you mean "sent VS packing"?

Also EJ has not been sitting on the egg for days. It must be sterile by now!

Pity the RSPB are so slow to update the diary :(

Thanks ever so much for the news.
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 16:02   #34
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas
Is this the egg or another egg at EJs feet?
I cannot be sure that is an egg.
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 16:04   #35
Tiger_mz

I would have thought that Red 8T would be almost four years old. They put red rings on in 2001!
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 17:04   #36
RichardB1947
Disley birder

Activity at nest

Ospreys seem to be busy...

This is my first posting; I hope a thumbnail is attached...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ospreys.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	19573  
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 17:10   #37
RichardB1947
Disley birder

Now 2 eggs?

2 eggs?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	osprey2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	19578  
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 17:10   #38
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB1947
Ospreys seem to be busy...

This is my first posting; I hope a thumbnail is attached...
Yes. EJ seems to have laid a second egg!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	osprey0017.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	19579  
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 17:10   #39
therealijn

This taken from todays 'Herald' newspaper.

' IT seemed so simple: girl meets boy and they set up home together. But then another fellow comes along, and things grow complicated.
A female osprey found herself with a choice of partners yesterday, and a tough decision: will there be chicks this year?
EJ raised three chicks last year, but this time around she has been having man trouble after laying one egg in the nest.
The drama is being played out before hundreds of enthralled visitors to the RSPB Osprey centre at Loch Garten, which celebrated the 50th anniversary of ospreys returning to Scotland last year.
EJ the name on her identification ring arrived at the nest at 6pm on March 29, after a 3000-mile flight from West Africa to Strathspey.
Then Orange VS, an old flame, arrived on April 4, when his gift of fish was accepted and mating was allowed.
However, an unringed male arrived last Thursday, with his sights on EJ's heart.
The unidentified osprey even delivered sticks and moss, but EJ staying faithful to her first choice VS spurned him again and again, while he and VS battled across the air.
Her decision apparently made, she then laid her egg, usually one of three, on Friday.
But by then both males had given up. It is suspected VS has another bird, while the mysterious newcomer had resigned himself to his loveless fate.
EJ, despite sub-zero temperatures, remained on the nest, awaiting the return of VS.
It proved to be a forlorn hope, and RSPB officials knew that she would have to leave the nest soon to feed, and the egg would not be incubated.
Richard Thaxton, senior site manager at the RSPB centre, said at the weekend: "It is sad for EJ. It is very rare for an osprey to re-lay after coming off an egg. EJ and VS seemed a happy couple but he has disappeared.
"I don't know if the other male spooked him, but I do know he is a bit of a rake.
"He may have another female. He may even be keeping his options open and come back in due course."
Then, yesterday, when all looked lost, a fresh suitor, 8T, arrived, and another unknown possibly the newcomer back again appeared.
8T appeared to be winning the battle for EJ's affections, as she was calling on him to bring some dinner over.
After 8T's apparent victory, Mr Thaxton was more optimistic.
He said: "All could still be well for her. Even the first egg might be viable if only she started to sit on it again."
Female ospreys spend 40 days on the nest being fed by their partners.
EJ's partner last year was Henry V who has not been seen this year. She was with VS in 2003, although forced off the nest by another female.
Ospreys were once widespread, but became extinct in Scotland in 1916.
Their absence was broken in 1954 when a pair nested near Loch Garten. Since 1959, ospreys have arrived every year raising more than 70 young.
The young fly in July and migrate to Africa in August, when their parents also leave. '
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 17:25   #40
RichardB1947
Disley birder

They are a pair again?

2 ospreys inspecting 2 eggs...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	osprey3.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	19580  
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 18:32   #41
Tiger_mz

Quote:
The diary has been updated AT LAST.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guid...iary/index.asp
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 20:54   #42
kas

Quote:

Thats all they have done.

I haven't seen EJ sit on these eggs at all.

Any bird behaviour experts out there, that could come up with explanations considering the events of the last few days.?
Old Tuesday 19th April 2005, 00:26   #43
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas
Thats all they have done.

I haven't seen EJ sit on these eggs at all.

Any bird behaviour experts out there, that could come up with explanations considering the events of the last few days.?
I do not think that what has happened is all that strange. The fact that the resident male i.e Henry has not returned is obviously a big blow. Orange VS does not seem to be a paricularly competant osprey and certain is bit shy when it comes to fighting. The reality is that both male and female ospreys seem to have to fight intruders all the time.

Loch Garten had the legendary Ollie for about ten years until he did not return for the 2002 season. It then took two years of fighting before Henry and EJ established themselves as the resident couple. Even then in 2004 EJ had an early season fling with VS before Henry turned up to see him off.

EJ herself was ousted from a nest in 2003 when she incubating eggs fertilised by VS.

If you want to see ospreys live on the NET the best cam is at the DPOF site.

See:

http://puleston.osprey.bnl.org/OspreyFund/ospreycam.php

The resident pair there did not return and it is a young pair in residence. They certainly fight off intruders quite regularly.
Old Tuesday 19th April 2005, 14:24   #44
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

I rember I visited this place when I was in Primary School (long before I was a birdwatcher) increadable place loved watching the live footage from the nest love to visit it again

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th April 2005, 17:01   #45
Tiger_mz

An Egg on the edge?

Is that an egg at the edge of the nest?? I cannot see any in the nest any longer.

Actually it is amazing that they have lasted so long.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	osprey0019.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	19655  
Old Thursday 21st April 2005, 10:20   #46
carol poole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_mz
Is that an egg at the edge of the nest?? I cannot see any in the nest any longer.

Actually it is amazing that they have lasted so long.
its not looking good now. this has happened before when the resident male fails to return and all hell lets loose cos the unattached speyside birds have a go at taking over the nest. might be a year or two before a strong pair can get established and rear young
Old Thursday 21st April 2005, 11:32   #47
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol poole
its not looking good now. this has happened before when the resident male fails to return and all hell lets loose cos the unattached speyside birds have a go at taking over the nest. might be a year or two before a strong pair can get established and rear young
One can see why Orange VS is not a very successful osprey. He seemed to run at the first sign of trouble. It looks as if both those eggs are gone know. I saw the one at the edge of the nest was clearly broken last night.

Yes 2002 and 2003 were fallow years. Looks like 2005 will be another. It shows how precarious things really are.
Old Friday 22nd April 2005, 10:57   #48
carol poole

lets just hope a pair can settle and hopefully regular successfull breedind can resume
Old Friday 22nd April 2005, 12:09   #49
Tiger_mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol poole
lets just hope a pair can settle and hopefully regular successfull breedind can resume
If you notice it seems as if EJ laid another egg yesterday. So it is turning out to be a bit grim. I have never seen this sort of thing happen before.
Old Sunday 24th April 2005, 21:03   #50
Sandra (Taylor)

Loch Garten Ospreys

The diary appears to have been updated (see date at bottom 22/4/05) but the text is a repeat of the previous entry. Hope RSPB HQ notice soon.

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: