Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon D6 coming in 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 30th August 2019, 16:05   #26
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Exciting ! (what is it with this time of year?! :)
I can only hope it spawns a D6 tech heavy D500S, or D560 or whatever they want to call an upgraded D500 ........
Apparently discounting of the D5 has already begun too.
If used D5 start to dip into the 2000s, that might be a nice deal.

With the 32MP 90D, Nikon will have to do something to keep up in the high-end crop sensor, though it depends on the AF and IQ of the thing. And the 90d has a small buffer (25 frames @ 10fps vs 200 for the d500, both for raw).

Marc
Old Friday 30th August 2019, 17:34   #27
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
If used D5 start to dip into the 2000s, that might be a nice deal.

With the 32MP 90D, Nikon will have to do something to keep up in the high-end crop sensor, though it depends on the AF and IQ of the thing. And the 90d has a small buffer (25 frames @ 10fps vs 200 for the d500, both for raw).

Marc
I have heard of emails from NPS saying 40% off - so that's still about $4K US new.

The D6 will have the Sony a9 II and Canon 1DX III to contend with - so will have to be good. With a 24MP sensor they will be just catching up to Sony in that regard, and I think rumours have the a9 II at about 30-36MP ? It will be interesting to see how that part of the game pans out.

The D500 seems to be still waiting for competitors (Fujifilm XT-3 and new Sony 6600 notwithstanding). Nobody seems to have been able to put the whole package together yet. Canon is AWOL with any 7D III for so long now that's it's long suffering customers are beyond depression and are now just mere shells of human beings !

The IQ of the 90D seems to have underwhelmed the Canonistas. The OOC jpegs seem mushy with the kit lens. To be fair, it is equivalent to 83MP FF and so would need the higher quality L glass to really shine. I think I've lost a measure of enthusiasm for changing over to that body with any of the third party super zoom telephotos. Time and proper tests will tell. I don't really see a need for Nikon to go beyond 26MP for any D500 successor (which would be ~60MP FF anyway).

That's why I'm fingers crossed that Nikon will upgrade the D500 with D6 goodliness (though I wouldn't expect IBIS at that level - the better metering /AF /tracking, fps, and video, and processing would be sufficient) - better to lead the market than try and play catchup. A 600mm f5.6 PF to go along with it could really put bums on seats, and with the FTZ adapter working so well, encourage folks to stick around for the eventual Z bodies.

I'm interested to see how good this D6 will be.

It's going to be a fantastic 12 months for photography gear - especially if CaNikony extend the new Pro offerings to DX level.

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Friday 30th August 2019 at 17:38.

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th August 2019, 20:52   #28
marcsantacurz

Quote:
I have heard of emails from NPS saying 40% off - so that's still about $4K US new.

The D6 will have the Sony a9 II and Canon 1DX III to contend with - so will have to be good. With a 24MP sensor they will be just catching up to Sony in that regard, and I think rumours have the a9 II at about 30-36MP ? It will be interesting to see how that part of the game pans out.

The D500 seems to be still waiting for competitors (Fujifilm XT-3 and new Sony 6600 notwithstanding). Nobody seems to have been able to put the whole package together yet. Canon is AWOL with any 7D III for so long now that's it's long suffering customers are beyond depression and are now just mere shells of human beings !

The IQ of the 90D seems to have underwhelmed the Canonistas. The OOC jpegs seem mushy with the kit lens. To be fair, it is equivalent to 83MP FF and so would need the higher quality L glass to really shine. I think I've lost a measure of enthusiasm for changing over to that body with any of the third party super zoom telephotos. Time and proper tests will tell. I don't really see a need for Nikon to go beyond 26MP for any D500 successor (which would be ~60MP FF anyway).

That's why I'm fingers crossed that Nikon will upgrade the D500 with D6 goodliness (though I wouldn't expect IBIS at that level - the better metering /AF /tracking, fps, and video, and processing would be sufficient) - better to lead the market than try and play catchup. A 600mm f5.6 PF to go along with it could really put bums on seats, and with the FTZ adapter working so well, encourage folks to stick around for the eventual Z bodies.

I'm interested to see how good this D6 will be.

It's going to be a fantastic 12 months for photography gear - especially if CaNikony extend the new Pro offerings to DX level.

Chosun
I think that going beyond 24MP in a crop sensor will not make some people happy, as they will expect to shoot f/8 or f/11 at their handheld shutter speeds, and at 83MP equivalent, that is just not going to fly even if you have excellent glass. The 90D, by my estimation, will start to be diffraction limited by f/6.3 (for a 100% crop), though for a typical print it might go out to f/16. Whereas a d850 will go out to f/9 for a 100% crop before showing diffraction limits.

Likewise, for a full frame like the d6, 24MP is where you hit f/11 for a 100% crop for f/22 for a typical print. I suspect that has something to do with the D6 being 24 instead of 32. It will be interesting to see if the A9II goes beyond 24.

Lloyd Chambers has been doing a lot of focus stacking experiments, and he seems to be convinced that for high-MP sensors you need stacking to get DoF as they are so diffraction limited.

Marc
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 02:53   #29
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Cool Leaks ahead of tonight's 'development announcement'

It seems those clever viral marketers have been at it again (unless it really was another genuine whoopsie! :) , with part of the marketing briefly posted by Nikon Europe and Nikon Life before being taken down.
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/09/03/n...-tonight.aspx/

The takeaway from these snippets seems to be an emphasis on "Sports Photojournalism" ...... just the thing for the 2020 Olympics !

From this I gather the D6 will be a further evolution of the D5's strengths - all light (especially low) capture of fast moving subjects. It will be interesting to see how much detail we actually get tonight ....

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 07:28   #30
JPAC

What's new, the wait continues...
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 10:52   #31
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
What's new, the wait continues...
It's a "Building the hype" or "Don't buy Canon yet" announcement. The No info strategy makes people even more curious.
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 11:24   #32
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
It's a "Building the hype" or "Don't buy Canon yet" announcement. The No info strategy makes people even more curious.
And ..... especially don't buy a Sony a9 II ....... !!!!!

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 11:42   #33
Vespobuteo

Quote:
And ..... especially don't buy a Sony a9 II ....... !!!!!

Chosun
Actually I think the 120-300mm would be a good reason to swap to Nikon if you already shoot Sony...

For some sport and news shooters this will be a very useful lens, if it's not too (front)heavy.

Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 11:41   #34
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
Actually I think the 120-300mm would be a good reason to swap to Nikon if you already shoot Sony...

For some sport and news shooters this will be a very useful lens, if it's not too (front)heavy.

Yes, a very astute product to pair up with F mount Pro gear - as long as it balances like you said, and they need to get nearer to 2kg rather than 3 ..... it will be interesting to see where it lands. It has FL glass so that should help.

Chosun

Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 11:44   #35
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Photo comparison D5 vs D6

Some keen trainspotters have noticed a few subtle differences in the appearance of the D6 - most noticeably around the larger OVF prism housing .......
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/09/07/n...mparison.aspx/

Chosun

Old Thursday 24th October 2019, 21:06   #36
JPAC

Canon announced development of digital SLR camera "EOS-1D X Mark III" today so Nikon D6 can't be far away. :)
Old Saturday 26th October 2019, 06:42   #37
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Canon announced development of digital SLR camera "EOS-1D X Mark III" today so Nikon D6 can't be far away. :)
Nikon has already made their official Development Announcement for the D6 though it was even more scant on detail than the Canon !
https://m.dpreview.com/news/57249775...fessional-dslr

Should be a good battle for supremacy between the two

Chosun

Old Sunday 10th November 2019, 17:00   #38
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Post Interesting D6 wish list .....

Interesting that some feel that even a pretty well ergonomically resolved tool such as the D5/6 could do with some UX improvements among other things .....
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/11/09/n...ish-list.aspx/

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th December 2019, 12:17   #39
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Smile Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm F/2.8E FL ED SR VR Lens To Be Released Soon ......

Dec ? or Jan ? ...... ?
I'm very interested to see what the weight of this thing comes in at .....
I also followed the glossary link but am still none the wiser as to what 'SR' is ? - maybe a performance characteristic rather than a lens or glass type ?
The D6 also can't be far behind ?? :)
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/12/03/t...sed-soon.aspx/

Chosun

Old Thursday 5th December 2019, 00:33   #40
marcsantacurz

Nikon recently got a patent [1] on a variable power lens with a mechanism to correct chromatic aberration and coma. Perhaps it is related to this?

marc
By configuring the variable power optical system ZL of this embodiment in this way, excellent optical performance can be implemented with bright lenses having small (or bright) F numbers. In other words, the intermediate group G3 b of the third lens group G3 is constituted by four lenses having a symmetric structure (positive, negative, negative, positive), whereby spherical aberration, curvature of field, and coma aberration can be corrected well while keeping the F numbers small for high brightness.
[1] https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190353881A1
Old Sunday 8th December 2019, 05:24   #41
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

D6 To be released mid-Feb 2020

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/12/05/n...ications.aspx/

24MP, IBIS, 4K60p video, some silent shooting modes, and lots of evolutionary improvements - the number of AF points may remain the same, though AF is claimed to be improved - I wonder if it will be enough to retain the AF crown - at all ? and over the model's inevitably long life span ?

Chosun

Old Sunday 8th December 2019, 07:04   #42
JPAC

It's got built in IBIS? Does that mean you don't have to leave home to photograph birds? I just wish Nikon would put in some of the mobile phone technology. Some of these new phones have better cameras than DSLRs now, especially in low light.
Old Friday 27th December 2019, 21:27   #43
JPAC

SR? Maybe you can switch off VR in the lens and use D6's internal VR (SR)?
Old Friday 27th December 2019, 23:44   #44
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Why would you? Can they not work together?

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th December 2019, 23:55   #45
JPAC

Maybe, still not sure what SR stands for. VR image quality reduces the further from the centre of the image.
Old Saturday 28th December 2019, 01:58   #46
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow NIKON AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR lens

Quote:
Maybe, still not sure what SR stands for. VR image quality reduces the further from the centre of the image.
For sure it's annoying that Nikon has introduced a new acronym 'SR' on the new 120-300 f2.8 lens and hasn't bothered to fully explain what it is !

The FL glass should contribute to better chromatic aberration control.

Best guess for 'SR' at this point in time is that (as per Marc's post#40) it is a group of lenses which corrects for aberrations. Specifically 'spherical aberration, field curvature, and coma' for fast variable power lenses .

My take on this is that you will be able to have your fast zoom lens cake and eat the prime lens quality too.

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Saturday 28th December 2019 at 02:10. Reason: Title

Old Saturday 28th December 2019, 02:00   #47
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up D6 latest rumours !

Great low AND high ISO performance .....

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/niko...t-bh.aspx/amp/

Chosun

Old Saturday 28th December 2019, 02:19   #48
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
As posted above - SR is to do with the new fast zoom lens.

The D6 will have IBIS (in body sensor stabilization - not bin chickens ! :) which will work together with the lenses VR system (dependent on mode selected).

Logically, this will be of most benefit in extreme low light, and/or when shooting video which should be pretty impressive.

Chosun

Old Sunday 29th December 2019, 19:40   #49
SimonLS

I'm sure I read somewhere that ball bearings were to be used in the tripod collar - could SR be as mundane as Smooth Rotation?

Simon
Old Sunday 29th December 2019, 22:11   #50
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLS View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere that ball bearings were to be used in the tripod collar - could SR be as mundane as Smooth Rotation?
What the actual wording behind 'SR' is will prove fascinating and I'm sure have lots of us kicking ourselves over its simplicity !

Assuming that it is to do with that group of lenses (I think? I remember seeing it labeled as such on a lens schematic somewhere - probably posted in one of the links on this thread) , then the probable purpose is to allow a fast zoom lens to resolve like a prime across the frame.

Perhaps something like 'Super Resolution' ......... ?

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Sunday 29th December 2019 at 22:37. Reason: I think ?

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: