Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Odd Bird on Feeder in mid August in Washington DC Area

Old Friday 11th October 2019, 14:42   #1
SarahNoVa

Odd Bird on Feeder in mid August in Washington DC Area

I live in the Washington DC area. In mid August I noticed this bird on my feeder eating sunflower chips. It was on the feeder twice that day and each time stayed for a long time (didn't flit away and come back). I took these photos. Later I removed the screen in hopes of a clearer shot, but it never returned to the feeder. The shape of the head, narrow neck, the crest down the back and the long, slightly curved bill caught my attention. As I recall, the bill was yellowish. Its belly was light grayish and had black or brown spots. From what I could see, its back looked rather drab, though my viewing angle wasn't great. A staff member at the Audubon Society wondered if it was an immature pileated woodpecker, but the crest wasn't red. Its feet were grasping the underside of the feeder. I estimate its length was about 6 inches head to tip of tail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5481.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	707311  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5482.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	707312  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5483.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	707313  

Last edited by SarahNoVa : Friday 11th October 2019 at 14:50.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 14:45   #2
The Bird Nuts
Birding Duo

I think it's a Carolina Wren with a lot of its feathers missing.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 15:16   #3
SarahNoVa

Interesting possibility. The bird was too big to get its head into the feeder hole using the perch under the hole. I would think a wren could, as the sparrows and finches who frequent the feeder can. It had long legs and grasped the underside of the feeder with them, the way cardinals and woodpeckers at the feeder do. I'm enlarging the photo to try to make out an eyestripe.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 15:26   #4
howiewu

It is a Carolina Wren, you can see the eye stripe.

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th October 2019, 20:00   #5
KC Foggin
Gallery Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Yeah, I'm leaning towards a Carolina Wren as well.

And BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th October 2019, 21:19   #6
dalethorn

It sure doesn't match Carolina Wrens I see. The tuft of feathers on back of the head, the head shape, and long beak that doesn't taper from the head - all look different.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 21:41   #7
The Bird Nuts
Birding Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalethorn View Post
It sure doesn't match Carolina Wrens I see. The tuft of feathers on back of the head, the head shape, and long beak that doesn't taper from the head - all look different.
That's because it's missing a lot of feathers.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 21:49   #8
Birdbrain22

100% Carolina Wren... with a bunch of feathers missing like others have said.
Lifelist:649-Red-footed Booby,Wedge-tailed Shearwater,Red-tailed Tropicbird,LB Curlew,Surfbird,Wandering Tattler,Clark's Grebe,Pygmy Nuthatch,Acorn WP,Nuttall's WP,Ferruginous Hawk,Rufous-crowned Sparrow,Golden-crowned Sparrow,Anna's HB,Allen's HB,Oak Titmouse,Red-breasted Sapsucker,Rock Sandpiper
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 21:52   #9
Birdbrain22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahNoVa View Post
Interesting possibility. The bird was too big to get its head into the feeder hole using the perch under the hole. I would think a wren could, as the sparrows and finches who frequent the feeder can. It had long legs and grasped the underside of the feeder with them, the way cardinals and woodpeckers at the feeder do. I'm enlarging the photo to try to make out an eyestripe.
Carolina Wrens are all over my suet feeder here... upside down and all. It is not unusual for them.
Lifelist:649-Red-footed Booby,Wedge-tailed Shearwater,Red-tailed Tropicbird,LB Curlew,Surfbird,Wandering Tattler,Clark's Grebe,Pygmy Nuthatch,Acorn WP,Nuttall's WP,Ferruginous Hawk,Rufous-crowned Sparrow,Golden-crowned Sparrow,Anna's HB,Allen's HB,Oak Titmouse,Red-breasted Sapsucker,Rock Sandpiper
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 03:37   #10
Daveg22152

Definitely not a wren. My bet is a Hairy Woodpecker. A cheerful little fellow who follows the bird feeder circuit in the Dc area. I see them all the time on my feeder in Springfield VA.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 03:59   #11
howiewu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveg22152 View Post
Definitely not a wren. My bet is a Hairy Woodpecker. A cheerful little fellow who follows the bird feeder circuit in the Dc area. I see them all the time on my feeder in Springfield VA.
A Downy Woodpecker wouldn’t have that downcurved bill. It’s definitely a Carolina Wren.

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 07:58   #12
rollingthunder

We have a coupla Starlings in similiar condition and they look a different species, whether it is a skin or mite infection i don’t know but that looks like a Carolina Wren to me

Laurie -
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 10:46   #13
Microtus

It's a Carolina Wren, missing many feathers.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: