Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What if......

Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 14:05   #176
Holger Merlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
OK, the first findings are known.
Coming Wednesday I'll pick it up and place all the pics from the inside/components.

The reflective side of the SP prism is made longer to make it fit into the smaller housing (normal SP's are to bulky);
No plastic inside;
Sturdy built, but basic;
Focus lens on objective side;
No signs of the regular well known Oriëntal components.

If there are further questions, please make them so I can get the answers coming Wednesday.
Jan
Very interesting, Jan, thanks for that! So they have replaced the eyepiece-internal-focusing with the now common objective focusing lens! I am curious to learn more ....

Cheers,
Holger
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 14:07   #177
henry link

Thanks very much, Jan! You've done us a great service.

Besides the Uppendahl prism it looks like the eyepiece focuser of the original has also been dropped. It appears that little if anything of the original optical design has been retained in the Retrovid, or maybe we should call it the Pseudovid.

I would be interested in knowing which way the focusing lens moves when changing the focus from near to far. For everything else, like the number of fixed elements in the objective and the eyepiece design, the photos should tell us everything.

Henry

Last edited by Troubador : Thursday 9th January 2020 at 14:22.
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 14:22   #178
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post

It appears that little if anything of the original optical design has been retained in the Retrovid, or maybe we should call it the Pseudovid.

Henry
Pseudovid sounds appropriate Henry.

Lee
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 14:25   #179
jan van daalen

Quote:
Thanks very much, Jan! You've done us a great service.

Besides the Uppendahl prism it looks like the eyepiece focuser of the original has also been dropped. It appears that little if anything of the original optical design has been retained in the Retrovid, or maybe we should call it the Pseudovid.

I would be interested in knowing which way the focusing lens moves when changing the focus from near to far. For everything else, like the number of fixed elements in the objective and the eyepiece design, the photos should tell us everything.

Henry
Hi Henry,

The focus lens runs towards the objective lens.

Coming Wednesday I'll know the answer on the other two items.

Jan
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 14:38   #180
Mike F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post

Lee
Lee, I agree that Henry’s name for the new Trinovid is probably more appropriate. I’m also pretty sure that it’s not going to make one iota of difference to the sales if the binocular is good, which from first reports it seems to be......
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 16:17   #181
Alexis Powell

Quote:
...the Retrovid, or maybe we should call it the Pseudovid...
Or, to retain both descriptors, the Pseudoretrovid.

--AP
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 16:48   #182
Hermann

Quote:
The reflective side of the SP prism is made longer to make it fit into the smaller housing (normal SP's are to bulky);
No plastic inside;
Sturdy built, but basic;
Focus lens on objective side;
No signs of the regular well known Oriëntal components.
Thanks Jan. That's pretty interesting stuff. So these aren't really "real" Trinovids anymore. Thought so after it became clear that they don't use Uppendahl prisms. Also explains why the 8x40 and the 10x40 seem to have a flatter field than I remembered from the old, "real" Trinovid which I know quite well.

Some questions / thoughts:

- Why do they claim the Trinovid is only "splashproof" rather than waterproof? They apparently changed the focusing mechanism, so I can't see any reason why this binocular shouldn't be waterproof.

- What do you mean by "Sturdy built, but basic"? Can you elaborate on this point a bit?

- No signs of "the regular well known Oriëntal components" - does that imply that they really make all the components in Portugal? Hard to answer, still, that's an interesting question, I think.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the construction next week ...

Hermann
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 16:59   #183
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
Thanks Jan. That's pretty interesting stuff. So these aren't really "real" Trinovids anymore. Thought so after it became clear that they don't use Uppendahl prisms. Also explains why the 8x40 and the 10x40 seem to have a flatter field than I remembered from the old, "real" Trinovid which I know quite well.

Some questions / thoughts:

- Why do they claim the Trinovid is only "splashproof" rather than waterproof? They apparently changed the focusing mechanism, so I can't see any reason why this binocular shouldn't be waterproof.

- What do you mean by "Sturdy built, but basic"? Can you elaborate on this point a bit?

- No signs of "the regular well known Oriëntal components" - does that imply that they really make all the components in Portugal? Hard to answer, still, that's an interesting question, I think.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the construction next week ...

Hermann
Hi Hermann,

In Holland we only have one, AFAIK, qualified repair institute and this one repairs every brand and is longer in business then I am.
He reckognizes OEM made components and is honest about it.

I can only repeat his words, but I'll ask him Wednesday.

Jan
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 17:02   #184
wdc

What's the antidote for 'Retrovirus'?

Pseudovid!

;-)
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 17:44   #185
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post

Pseudovid!

;-)
Whoa, steady WD!
Thats almost English humour

Lee
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 17:49   #186
42za

Thank you Jan.
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 21:21   #187
jan van daalen

You're all welcome.

Since English is not my native language, I could have (unintentionally) "insulted" some people who also live on this planet. It turns out that POS (Point Of Sale material) is also known as Piece Of Sh** and the term Oriëntal is a term some Rednecks seem to use where others use the phrase Far East.
I really didn't had any clue.

Reading the manual/warranty it states that this Trinovid has a warranty for ten years on material defects and five years on the labour costs, but NOT warranted is defects on the leather armoring, eyecups and all other accessoires like ocular- and objective caps, bags and straps.

Jan

Last edited by jan van daalen : Thursday 9th January 2020 at 21:33.
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 21:25   #188
Tringa45

Interesting in post #150 to see the combination of negative focussing elements and left-handed thread for clockwise to infinity focussing.

John
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 21:37   #189
Thomas_M

Quote:
OK, the first findings are known.

Jan,

many thanks for the interesting information. I am not so familiar with SP prisms, so what does that mean? Is it a special variant of SP? Why isn't it used in other binoculars, slim binoculars look nice.

Thomas
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 22:42   #190
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_M View Post
Jan,

many thanks for the interesting information. I am not so familiar with SP prisms, so what does that mean? Is it a special variant of SP? Why isn't it used in other binoculars, slim binoculars look nice.

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

I don't have any clue.
Just what he told me. It looked different from "normal" SP's.

Jan
Old Thursday 9th January 2020, 23:02   #191
pbjosh

Excellent thread folks, I'm really enjoying the technical discussion! I particularly find it interesting that Leica states only splash-proof, but it is implied further up in the thread that the construction is "typical/modern" if you will, and that that should permit waterproof sealing. Jan, would it be possible to inquire the opinion of your friend regarding this - was there any gasketing/sealing, or is there a clear reason why it couldn't have been waterproofed?

Many thanks again!
Josh
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 09:28   #192
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post

Pseudovid!

;-)
I like it!

Too bad it's not available "over the counter"

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th January 2020, 09:34   #193
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post

Lee
Well, I will continue using the name Retrovid, with all due respect.

Three reasons:

1. I invented that name, so of course I am not going to abandon it (that‘s the weakest reason)

2. Pseudovid in the English language sounds almost like Sudoko (if the latter is properly pronounced, with the emphasis on the first syllable), and that creates unwelcome confusion

3. „Pseudo“ has a negative connotation. We would be calling it „Pseudo“ just because the outside looks „real“, but the inside is not what you expect; that seems a bit harsh, does it not, esp. if performance is perhaps (needs to be confirmed!!!) amazingly good?

Let‘s see what Jan comes back with and reconsider then.

juts my 2 ct.
Canip

Last edited by Canip : Friday 10th January 2020 at 09:36.
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 10:41   #194
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canip View Post
Well, I will continue using the name Retrovid, with all due respect.

Three reasons:

1. I invented that name, so of course I am not going to abandon it (that‘s the weakest reason)

2. Pseudovid in the English language sounds almost like Sudoko (if the latter is properly pronounced, with the emphasis on the first syllable), and that creates unwelcome confusion

3. „Pseudo“ has a negative connotation. We would be calling it „Pseudo“ just because the outside looks „real“, but the inside is not what you expect; that seems a bit harsh, does it not, esp. if performance is perhaps (needs to be confirmed!!!) amazingly good?

Let‘s see what Jan comes back with and reconsider then.

juts my 2 ct.
Canip
I would go for the Retrovid version also
I think that "basic built" also includes the lack of waterproofness/not nitrogene filled. At least they were fair about that. The Originals weren't either.

Jan
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 12:33   #195
John A Roberts

Hi Canip,

One could argue that Pseudovid may be technically more accurate i.e. an imitation of something else - and often a lesser one
(and if so, if one was feeling particularly harsh, then perhaps a case could even be made for something such as Ersatzvid or Fauxvid!)

However, besides the lack of a negative inference, the big advantage of Retrovid is that it has an immediate association with the past - in this instance the original Leitz Trinovid
Which shows the aptness of the term that you coined

John

Last edited by John A Roberts : Friday 10th January 2020 at 12:38.
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 13:12   #196
Hermann

Quote:
The Retrovid is sealed on the ocular and objective side but, like the Original, the bridge ax is not watertight and can/will leak when submerged.
That's what I thought. Should not be that much of a problem in real life actually. Not suitable for use in the bathtub though ...

Quote:
All parts are made of metal/glass and nothing is glued. Heaven for the repair department.
Good. I don't like the use of plastics (and glue) at all. I'm sure there are plenty of binculars around that contain plastic parts ...

Quote:
I'm curious about its light transmission but that will follow in time.
From my impressions of the 8x40 I'd hazard a guess that transmission will likely be just a bit higher than the Trinovid HD.

Hermann
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 13:13   #197
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

Thanks Jan for all the info you are providing!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th January 2020, 13:41   #198
Canip

Jan (post # 194) and John (post # 195),

Tks for your support about not dropping the Retrovid name (is that what they mean be „name-dropping“?).
My post was only half-serious and so was yours, I suppose.

Whether Retrovid is the right name or not, what strikes me is that Leica chose the plain term Trinovid.
Not only does this create confusion with older models, it seems also „counter-intuitive“ to me to sell a Trinovid as an up-market model with a higher price than a „Trinovid HD“ which by its name implies higher performance.

That, combined with the hardly comprehensible decision to only sell via Leica Stores, may hamper sales significantly (I first believed that the exclusivity argument might have some merit, but believe that less and less).
But of course, it‘s Leica‘s business, not mine, so I am sure they must have been thinking hard about that ....
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 14:06   #199
henry link

Quote:
The objective is a doublet and behind that a single lens (standard).
The ocular is three lenses of which one is a doublet.

I'm curious about its light transmission but that will follow in time.

Jan
Thanks for the additional information, Jan.

I'm uncertain about the lens count from your description above. Is the total objective group made up of 3 fixed lenses (1 cemented doublet separated by an air space from a singlet) followed by a moving focusing singlet for a total of 4 lenses, or is it a fixed cemented doublet followed by a moving focusing singlet for a total of 3 lenses?

Does the ocular have a total of 3 lenses (1 singlet and 1 cemented doublet) or does it have 3 groups (2 singlets and 1 cemented doublet) for a total of 4 lenses?

Leica's light transmission spec is 88%. I'm looking forward to seeing Gijs's measurements.

Everybody, I didn't consider Psuedovid to be a serious name, but it is a serious criticism of the way these binoculars are being represented by Leica.

Henry

Last edited by henry link : Friday 10th January 2020 at 14:13.
Old Friday 10th January 2020, 14:10   #200
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canip View Post
Jan (post # 194) and John (post # 195),

Tks for your support about not dropping the Retrovid name (is that what they mean be „name-dropping“?).
My post was only half-serious and so was yours, I suppose.

Whether Retrovid is the right name or not, what strikes me is that Leica chose the plain term Trinovid.
Not only does this create confusion with older models, it seems also „counter-intuitive“ to me to sell a Trinovid as an up-market model with a higher price than a „Trinovid HD“ which by its name implies higher performance.

That, combined with the hardly comprehensible decision to only sell via Leica Stores, may hamper sales significantly (I first believed that the exclusivity argument might have some merit, but believe that less and less).
But of course, it‘s Leica‘s business, not mine, so I am sure they must have been thinking hard about that ....
Hi Canip,

Indeed, the Retrovid name was intended as fun

In defence of Leica.... the first Retrovid had Uppendahls. These were just to expensive (?) so Higher Command decided to go for SP and exclusive sales.
So the circle after Post one is round

Jan
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: