Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Screen Captures with Photoshop 7

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 12th March 2004, 19:35   #1
cuckooroller

Screen Captures with Photoshop 7

Hi Guys,

How do I do it?

I can do it with my PaintShop Pro application but I have just never been able to figure out how it is done using the PhotoShop 7 program.

Neotropical Bird Club
Old Tuesday 20th April 2004, 12:44   #2
RAH

I don't know how to do a screen capture with Photoshop specifically, but you can do a screen capture using the facilities built into Windows itself. To capture a screen snapshot of the active screen, just press alt/PrintScreen. This puts a screen snapshot into the clipboard. Then go to your image program and paste the clipboard to a new image. To get a screen snapshot of the ENTIRE screen (not just the active application), press PrintScreen without the alt key.

Rich
Old Tuesday 20th April 2004, 13:10   #3
gthang
Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....

Yep, that's how you do it. Sometimes, when I want to post one of my pictures that I took, and want to post it here online, i open the image using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. This app automatically resizes the image to fit within the application's borders. Since my screen resolution is 1024x768, all I have to do is press the PrintScreen key, paste into photoshop (new document automatically creates a document of the correct dimensions), and crop the image to my specs, and i don't need to resize it myself to 800x600 (although sometimes i want to show the quality of the shot, so i might resize it to 1024x768).

Well, looking forward to seeing what you have in mind!

Last 2007 year bird/lifer: Lapland Longspur (#51/136)
Last 2008 lifer: Red-Headed Woodpecker (#137)
Old Tuesday 20th April 2004, 13:27   #4
Lee Rogers

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooroller
Hi Guys,

How do I do it?

I can do it with my PaintShop Pro application but I have just never been able to figure out how it is done using the PhotoShop 7 program.

Cuckooroller,

In the menu structure File>Import> there should be a "Screen Capture" option displayed, this in turn has two options "setup" and "start" choose Setup to specify whether you require; active window, area only, inclusion of mouse pointers, multiple captures, time delays etc... and choose a shortcut for capture (I usually go with F11). Return to the menu and choose Screen Capture>Start, at the screen you require press F11 and your image will appear pasted into PSP as a new image, from here save as *.jpeg, *.gif or whatever, the default is *.pspimage (the paint shop pro file format).

Check the online help that comes with it, it's pretty good.

Hope this helps

Lee

Last edited by Lee Rogers : Tuesday 20th April 2004 at 13:30.
Old Tuesday 20th April 2004, 23:35   #5
cuckooroller

Thanks guys.

Mostly mine was out of curiosity as I have never found anywhere within the PhotoShop 7 tutorials that it is even possible to do it with that Program. I always do it with PaintShop Pro but it had always seemed rather strange to me that an obviously more complete image manipulation program such as that offered by Adobe did not have this feature. Again thanks!
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Tuesday 28th September 2004, 17:18   #6
louiscrespo

Screen capture with Photoshop

Hello,
I think the short answer (and hope I'm wrong), is you can't the same way you did in Paint Shop Pro. Very disappointing to lose that differentiating functionality in what is supposed to be a top notch editing tool.

For those that haven't used PSP. You would simply click on a camera icon, have the PSP screen minimized and be able to navigate through all open apps until you found the right area of interest. Right click to get the cursor going and drag the area you wanted. From there it would automatically copy paste into your PSP session. Zip zip zip. Much better than selecting an entire screen and having to crop down.

Fingers crossed that I am wrong and it can be done in Photoshop?
Thanks so much.
Old Tuesday 28th September 2004, 17:27   #7
cuckooroller

Thanks Louis.

I do have PaintShop Pro 7 and that is how I do it. It just always really seemed very screwy to me that an application that costs as much as Adobe PhotoShop did not have that functionality.
Neotropical Bird Club
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: