• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (10 Viewers)

A fabulous couple of hours there this morning gave us beautiful views and film opportunities of one of the Groppers. It was about 30 yards from the screen, I couldn't believe it! Just one brief Cuckoo song though no sighting.... but I'm not complaining after such a morning! Cheers for your updates, Woodchat; without them we might have gone somewhere else!

A fabulous couple of hours there this morning gave us beautiful views and film opportunities of one of the Groppers. It was about 30 yards from the screen, I couldn't believe it! Just one brief Cuckoo song though no sighting.... but I'm not complaining after such a morning! Cheers for your updates, Woodchat; without them we might have gone somewhere else!

Excellent, Mary.

The same Gropper was showing well again yesterday evening (12/06) and another reeling the other side of the screen. 4+ Cuckoos performing well again. Also Common Whitethroat, Swifts, Swallows, Sand Martins, 2 Canada Geese, 2 Ravens, Reed and Sedge Warblers.

My first Broad-bodied Chaser of the year was along the canal and a Hornet flew past me.

My first Emperor Dragonfly, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Burnet Moth for the year over the weekend. Other insects included Broad-bodied Chaser, Azure Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly, both Demoiselle species, Large Skippers (becoming quite common), Common Blue, Speckled Woods, Red Admirals, Small Tortoiseshells and Brimstone Moth.

Birds included a Coal Tit, Grey Wagtails with 2 freshly fledged juveniles, juvenile Common Whitethroats, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Great Spot and Green Woodpeckers, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Kestrel, linnets, juvenile Greenfinches, Reed, Sedge and Grasshopper Warblers (3 reeling still), Cuckoos, Starlings with juveniles, kingfisher and Grey Heron plus roosting hirundines (about 30 Sand Martins and Swallows).

A Hobby chasing bats and hirundines over high park this evening.

A Gadwall flew over.

Several juvenile Swallows in the roost.

Cuckoos and Gropper still performing.

My first Marbled Whites (2) of the year yesterday evening (18/06/14), plus lots of Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Large Skippers and Small Tortoiseshells. Burnet Moths, several Banded Demoiselles and a large greenish looking Dragonfly that flew off before I could get a decent look at it.

Left the patch quite early to set up my new moth trap in my garden but still saw a couple of Cuckoos and heard Gropper reeling. Common Whitethroats and Reed Warblers feeding juveniles and the hirundines were just starting to gather.

As I walked along the path by the east gate of Coney Meadow this morning I noticed an olive-brown warbler with a rounded tail fly out of the long grass and onto the barbed wire fence by the reedbed. I immediately recognised its 'jizz' as being a Grasshopper Warbler. When I got my bins on it I could see that it was a very fresh juvenile / fledgeling - so fresh that it still had obvious gape flanges. So, this confirms successful breeding at this site this year. Also, I think this must be the youngest specimen of a Grasshopper Warbler I have ever seen - poor record shots (digi-binned) attached:

Attachments

• Juvenile Gropper.JPG
    Juvenile Gropper.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 95
  • juv Grasshopper Warbler.JPG
    juv Grasshopper Warbler.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 85
Pretty much more of the same this weekend:

3 Cuckoos yesterday evening
Grasshopper Warbler reeling
Lesser Whitethroat coney yesterday morning
Common Whitethroats still singing
Reed and Sedge Warblers, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs
2 Ravens
Buzzards
Grey Wagtail
Kingfisher
Grey Heron
Coot at Porter's Mill
House Martins and Swifts
50 - 60 hirundines in the roost, including some juv Swallows
Black-headed Gull
House Sparrows

Marbled Whites (5), many Ringlets and Large Skippers, Narrow-bordered five-spot Burnets, Cinnabar Moth, Meadow Browns, Speckled woods, Commas, Small Tortoiseshells, Banded and Beautiful Demoiselles, Azure Damselflies and Blue-tailed Damselflies

Last edited:
As I walked along the path by the east gate of Coney Meadow this morning I noticed an olive-brown warbler with a rounded tail fly out of the long grass and onto the barbed wire fence by the reedbed. I immediately recognised its 'jizz' as being a Grasshopper Warbler. When I got my bins on it I could see that it was a very fresh juvenile / fledgeling - so fresh that it still had obvious gape flanges. So, this confirms successful breeding at this site this year. Also, I think this must be the youngest specimen of a Grasshopper Warbler I have ever seen - poor record shots (digi-binned) attached:

I bet there are not many people that have seen juv groppers...not seen one myself. nice one Dave :t:

I bet there are not many people that have seen juv groppers...not seen one myself. nice one Dave :t:

Cheers John,

Two juvenile Sedge Warblers by east gate early evening. Cuckoos singing as I left - I didn't stay till dusk this evening. 4 Marbled Whites among the butterflies noted.

The hirundine roost reached 3 figures this evening and a Hobby came in at dusk.

2 Cuckoos, juvenile Sedge Warbler, Whitethroats, 4 Ravens and 10 Marbled Whites earlier.

GLOWING SEASON HAS BEGUN

Three female Glow-worms this evening in Droitwich Community Woods - one under a Sweet Chestnut on Gorsey Bank and a further two by the allotments. I saw the first at around 10:15 pm and it's possible I may have seen more if I'd stayed longer but, unfortunately, I've got an early start tomorrow. Photo of one of those by the allotments below.

Attachments

• Glow worm 250614.jpg
    Glow worm 250614.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 59
Birds over the weekend included Common Tern, Grasshopper Warbler, Cuckoos, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroats, Grey Heron, Sedge Warblers, Reed warblers, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, juv Green Woodpecker, 4+ Ravens, Goldcrests, Treecreepers, roost of 100+ Swallows and a few Sand Martins, Swifts and House Martins.

Insects included 1 Four-spotted Chaser, 2 Broad-bodied Chasers, 1 Southern Hawker, Azure Damselflies, Banded Demoiselles, Beautiful Demoiselles, 2 Small Skippers, Large Skippers, Marbled Whites, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Speckled Woods, Small Tortoiseshells, Red Admiral and 3 Glow-worms again yesterday evening.

just some poor record photos from tonight, Common Tern hunting down canal at 19,30 very pleasant evening just right for a stroll

Attachments

• PICT3973.JPG
    PICT3973.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT3972.JPG
    PICT3972.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 48
  • PICT3971.JPG
    PICT3971.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 43
  • PICT3970.JPG
    PICT3970.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 47
5 Glow-worms this evening - 2 Gorsey Bank and 3 by allotments.
Also a close encounter with a young Badger there.

Nice to see the Common Tern along the canal again plus Cuckoo, Kestrel and 2 Grey Herons.

Observations for yesterday evening (Tuesday 1st July):

2 reeling Grasshopper Warblers late evening
1 male Cuckoo
Juvenile Sedge Warbler plus several adults
Buzzards, male Kestrel and Sparrowhawk
1 Grey Heron
Reed Warblers, Reed Buntings
4 Ravens
2 Common Whitethroats
kingfisher
Green Woodpeckers
100+ Swallows and a few Sand Martins roosted
30+ Swifts

1 Brown Hawker - new for the year
1 Southern Hawker
Large and Small Skippers
Marbled Whites 4 or 5
Ringlets and Meadow Browns

8 Glow worms after 10:30 - 2 Gorsey Bank, 3 around allotments and 3 actually on the railway line (viewed from road bridge)

1 Badger again by allotments
2 Foxes

Just back from a walk up to the reed beds and down the canal. Notables are several reed buntings, reed warblers and 3 sedge warblers. A flock of goldfinches numbering at least 25 feeding on the thistle patches along the top of the reed beds. No sign of grasshopper warblers though. There was a buzzard hawking the trees over the other side of the river and a cuckoo on the big dead tree near the screen. A strange croaky raspy sound from deep in the reeds (2nd time ive heard it now) but no sign of what it is. Not experienced enough to tell what it is. There was a tawny owl in the distance sounding. Sounds as if it was nearer the woods far side if salwarpe towards porters mill. On the canal walk back, chiffchaffs more goldfinches and a sparrowhawk over the field the other side of the canal. No sign of the term but i did see a first, a water vole in the canal!!! Unfortunately it saw me before i readied my camera and that was that. No butterfly expert but a large amount of smallish dark brown butterflies??? Any ideas??

They nest in the long grass by that small pond near the barbed wire but have fledged now i think. No sign of any eggs in the nest so i am thinking there wont be another brood this year. There were 5 eggs to start with this year, in pretty sure 4 survived to fledge. 3 fledged last year from that nest, but there were at least 5 adults before breeding this year which makes me suspect that there is at least one more nesting site, possibly within the reeds. I wish theyd let experienced nature watchers walk around the beds riverside as i am pretty sure there is otter activity there.

They nest in the long grass by that small pond near the barbed wire but have fledged now i think. No sign of any eggs in the nest so i am thinking there wont be another brood this year. There were 5 eggs to start with this year, in pretty sure 4 survived to fledge. 3 fledged last year from that nest, but there were at least 5 adults before breeding this year which makes me suspect that there is at least one more nesting site, possibly within the reeds. I wish theyd let experienced nature watchers walk around the beds riverside as i am pretty sure there is otter activity there.

That area was restricted for good reason - a nest was abandoned in that area in a previous year due to disturbance. I never enter that area betwen late march and august and don't feel it is necessary to do so as everything can be seen from the public access areas. The canal trust have been very cooperative and have chosen to impose some restriction to protect vulnerable nesting birds and I definitely think it would be a step backwards if this arrangement was undermined even by experienced naturalists. I hope you can appreciate this. Thanks

BTW: Grasshopper Warblers very often have two broods and at least one pair on site is still feeding young. They will lay second clutches in the same nest but it is possible they will use another one depending on several factors. They need to produce many young each year to maintain their numbers and Grasshopper Warblers are known to 'boom and bust' varying significantly in their numbers from year to year - about 15 years ago they went through a phase where they were a very scarce bird in Worcestershire.

Last edited:
11 Glow worms yesterday evening (2nd July) - 3 on Gorsey Bank and 8 around the allotments.

2 Grasshopper Warblers (one singing)
1 male Cuckoo
Water Rails calling from the reeds
Juv Sedge warbler
family party of Whitethroats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back