• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (10 Viewers)

That area was restricted for good reason - a nest was abandoned in that area in a previous year due to disturbance. I never enter that area betwen late march and august and don't feel it is necessary to do so as everything can be seen from the public access areas. The canal trust have been very cooperative and have chosen to impose some restriction to protect vulnerable nesting birds and I definitely think it would be a step backwards if this arrangement was undermined even by experienced naturalists. I hope you can appreciate this. Thanks

BTW: Grasshopper Warblers very often have two broods and at least one pair on site is still feeding young. They will lay second clutches in the same nest but it is possible they will use another one depending on several factors. They need to produce many young each year to maintain their numbers and Grasshopper Warblers are known to 'boom and bust' varying significantly in their numbers from year to year - about 15 years ago they went through a phase where they were a very scarce bird in Worcestershire.

must be a different nest then because this one isn't in a restricted area it is about 2 feet away from a walkway and in long grass. It has not been disturbed at all to my knowledge and i only dared step closer to it last night after sitting and observing for an hour with no sign of any movement. I know they normally have 2 broods, the same area i saw a brood scared out of a nest last year by what i assume must have been a rat or something and that was July 26th early morning. They are a great bird and its great they are breeding there now. Would you think that it is the same birds as last year that are nesting there this year?? Would like to think so.

must be a different nest then because this one isn't in a restricted area it is about 2 feet away from a walkway and in long grass. It has not been disturbed at all to my knowledge and i only dared step closer to it last night after sitting and observing for an hour with no sign of any movement. I know they normally have 2 broods, the same area i saw a brood scared out of a nest last year by what i assume must have been a rat or something and that was July 26th early morning. They are a great bird and its great they are breeding there now. Would you think that it is the same birds as last year that are nesting there this year?? Would like to think so.

Very difficult to say whether or not they are same birds as last year but I do know that last year's bright yellowish bird didn't return this year. They are thought to have little site-fidelity but I think there are many unknowns with this species as they can be generally very difficult to detect in many instances.

They have bred at this site irregularly since about 2009 or 2010 (having not consulted my notes). In that time, the population at nearby Oakley Pool seems to have diminished (based on a few visits each year).

Just out of interest, what time were you there last night? Myself and two others were on site from about 7:30 pm. I stayed until dusk (at least 9:30 pm), the other two left slightly earlier.

I'm just surprise I didn't see you while I was / we were there.

The attached map gives the distribution of Glow worm sightings so far this year - up to and including 2nd July.

The numbers indicate the order in which each was discovered.

The area by the allotments next to the railway track appears to be the best place for them at the moment.

Attachments

• Glow Worm Distribution to 2nd July 2014.jpg
    Glow Worm Distribution to 2nd July 2014.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 75
quiet start to the evening , poor old Heron disturbed by us all the way up the canal and all the way back, Groppers calling east and west of the screen, several hundred swallows in the roost, wildlife all over the area the later it got.

Attachments

• PICT3984.JPG
    PICT3984.JPG
    330 KB · Views: 47
  • PICT3990.JPG
    PICT3990.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 45
  • PICT3997.JPG
    PICT3997.JPG
    586.7 KB · Views: 49
  • PICT3999.JPG
    PICT3999.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT4001.JPG
    PICT4001.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 32
Birds this weekend included:

2 singing Grasshopper Warblers plus good views of non-singing birds.
Family party of Mistle Thrushes
Kingfisher
Grey Wagtails
Coot with 3 well-grown juvs at Porter's Mill
male Kestrel
Sparrowhawk
Buzzard
6 Ravens
The usual warblers, including family parties of Common Whitethroats
The hirundine roost now numbering 200+

Insects included my first Gatekeepers and Essex Skippers of the year, Marbled whites, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Red Admiral, several Brown Hawkers and Broad-bodied Chaser.

Only 2 Glow worms seen yesterday evening (both by allotments) - hopefully, this means the others have successfully mated. It's still early in the season - with any luck, a lot more are yet to emerge.

Last edited:
07/07/14 - a much better evening for Glow worms - possibly because it was warmer and quite muggy or maybe because it was darker, the moon was clouded over and they came out earlier. I counted 10 in total - 1 Gorsey Bank, 8 by the allotments and 1 along the railway line.

The Badger 'came out to play' again by the allotments.

2 Grasshopper Warblers were singing earlier plus one or two (possibly juvs) making distinctive contact calls.

200 - 300 Hirundines roosted.

4 Ravens.

10 Glow worms again yesterday evening (09/07/14) - including a new one on Gorsey Bank in the long grass further north than any others seen this year so far. Details were 2 Gorsey Bank, 7 by allotments and 1 railway line.

Very close views of 3 Badgers (2 small ones) by the allotments also.

A Hobby was catching dragonflies around High Park earlier and 2 Grasshopper Warblers still reeling in the meadow.

Lots of swifts around (80+) and still 200 - 300 hirundines roosting.

2 Grey wagtails by the canal bridge.

Yesterday evening (10/07/14) - very similar:

Great views of Hobby - perched and flying about at dusk.
Kestrel with a full crop
Buzzards
Grasshopper Warbler singing
Goldcrest singing
Reed and Sedge Warblers
Hirundine roost and loads of Swifts

7 Glow worms seen in brief search.

Glow worm count for Sunday 13/07/14 - 5 females - 1 on railway line and 4 around allotments.

A Grasshopper Warbler was still reeling strongly, the usual Ravens coming into roost, 2 Herons and hirundines eventually dropping into the reeds.

On Saturday, I saw several Roesel's Bush Crickets, Long-winged Coneheads and one Golden-bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle Agapanthea villosoviridescens in the meadow. I tried to get some shots but most turned out blurry. The Coneheads tend to move to the opposite side of the grass-stalk whenever I try to get near.

Glow worm count for Sunday 13/07/14 - 5 females - 1 on railway line and 4 around allotments.

A Grasshopper Warbler was still reeling strongly, the usual Ravens coming into roost, 2 Herons and hirundines eventually dropping into the reeds.

On Saturday, I saw several Roesel's Bush Crickets, Long-winged Coneheads and one Golden-bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle Agapanthea villosoviridescens in the meadow. I tried to get some shots but most turned out blurry. The Coneheads tend to move to the opposite side of the grass-stalk whenever I try to get near.

Re shots of Conehead's etc, that's where a bridge camera scores.

Des.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Attached is my best shot of a LW Conehead from Saturday morning. Just a record shot I'm afraid - the little bug**r was playing hard to get. 8-P

Attachments

• Long-winged Conehead.jpg
    Long-winged Conehead.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 93
A Little Egret flew over due south-west this evening and called once.

Grasshopper Warbler still singing strongly for most of the evening.

Whitethroats, Sedge, Reed, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, 2 Ravens, House Martins, Swifts, Sand Martins and Swallows plus Grey Heron, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

A total of 7 Glow worms seen eventually - including 3 new ones with 2 on the railway line, 2 by the allotments, 1 by the path opposite Hopyard Wood and two appearing late-on on Gorsey Bank.

Little Egret again this evening - flew out from river adjacent to Coney and down the valley beyond Salwarpe village.

A Hobby flew over three times and had a swoop at the gathering hirundine flock (c. 300)

Also Coal Tit, 2 Ravens, Grey Wagtail and Grey Heron.

A total of 5 Glow worms tonight - including a new one just inside the allotment gates (viewed from public footpath)

After yesterday's virtual washout, today turned out to be a very decent day on the patch. The Redstart and Kite were the obvious highlights and the following were also seen.

Little Owl sunning on its usual pollard
Kestrel
Grey Wagtail
juv Coal Tit
Ravens
Reed and Sedge Warblers
Grey Heron

Hobby over Coney at dusk then perched in dead trees along the salwarpe.
Buzzards
Swifts
Hirundines
Juv Coots

Lots of Brown Hawkers, 2 Common Darters, Blue-tailed and Azure Damsels, both Demoiselles, Essex Skippers, lots of Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, Burnet Moths, Speckled Woods.

The meadow is buzzing with grasshoppers and bush crickets - had good views of a Roesel's.

Just 2 Glow worms seen this evening.

22/07/14 - A fairly quiet evening:

Reed and Sedge Warblers, Common Whitethroat, Chiffchaffs, Swifts, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Buzzards, 2 Ravens, Kingfisher, Grey Heron, Long-tailed Tits, Water Rail.

Tawny Owl called several times at dusk.

Marbled White, Essex Skippers, Brown Hawkers, Blue-tailed Damsels and Banded Demoiselles.

3 Glow worms by the allotments - including two new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back