Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

First Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch for Arkansas!

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 17:55   #1
ovenbird43

First Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch for Arkansas!

Sunday afternoon I read on the local listserv that a Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch had been found at the visitor's center at Mt. Magazine State Park, the first record of this species in Arkansas. It's not often that a potential lifer shows up in my home state, and this one only a 2-hour drive away. I didn't have time to go on Sunday or yesterday, but since it was still being seen yesterday I figured it was worth a shot.

I left early this morning and arrived at Mt. Magazine around 7:30 am, with a thunderstorm looming ominously but so far only thundering and sprinkling. I found the bird within 10 minutes, foraging in the short grass beside the parking lot. Wow, that easy! I sat down on the pavement to watch and photograph the bird. It was busily chomping away at some small yellow asteraceous flowers, eating petals, sepals and all. As I sat quietly it made its way to within 1-2 meters of me... no binoculars needed for this bird!

The rain that soon followed sent me home earlier than I had planned, but the small bit of additional birding was fairly productive- Swainson's Thrushes were singing, a few small flocks of lingering Pine Siskins flew over, many warblers were active and vocal including Blackburnian, Tennessee, Hooded, Blackpoll, and Ovenbird. A stunning male Scarlet Tanager sang from an exposed perch, and the Rufous-crowned Sparrows were conspicuous and singing in their usual haunt- Arkansas' only reliable location for this species, considerably east of its main range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rosy_finch_1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	383323  Click image for larger version

Name:	rosy_finch_2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	383324  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread