Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What can i expect to see on West Coast Scotland

Old Wednesday 29th August 2012, 15:46   #1
developer

What can i expect to see on West Coast Scotland

I am heading up to Spean Bridge and Skye in September and wondered if we had any members from the area that could advise on the Birds of Prey that i might see in the area.

regards

Steve
Old Wednesday 29th August 2012, 20:48   #2
shark attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by developer View Post
I am heading up to Spean Bridge and Skye in September and wondered if we had any members from the area that could advise on the Birds of Prey that i might see in the area.

regards

Steve
Not from the area steve but there is no end to what you might see...by the sounds of it is it not a case of what you WANT to see.....namely GE and SE... ???? Not sure about Spean Bridge although i have past through there a thousand times...isle of skye is a different matter...depending on where you are staying and how much time you have got......plenty pairs of GE up there and SE too...............if your asking where to see them your on the wrong forum....send me a private e mail i may be able to help........mind you sometimes is not worth the hassle......goood luck anyway if you go.........
Old Wednesday 29th August 2012, 22:13   #3
developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark attack View Post
Not from the area steve but there is no end to what you might see...by the sounds of it is it not a case of what you WANT to see.....namely GE and SE... ???? Not sure about Spean Bridge although i have past through there a thousand times...isle of skye is a different matter...depending on where you are staying and how much time you have got......plenty pairs of GE up there and SE too...............if your asking where to see them your on the wrong forum....send me a private e mail i may be able to help........mind you sometimes is not worth the hassle......goood luck anyway if you go.........
Hi SA..

Thanks for the input its appreciated..

We are staying adjacent Loch Lochy for a couple of nights and had heard there were Osprey in the area. Then onto Skye for a couple of nights staying about 8 miles north west of Dunvegan where i had hoped we might possibly sight the Sea Eagle but who knows. Anything will be a bonus to be honest

Steve

PS. Your inbox is full...

Last edited by developer : Wednesday 29th August 2012 at 22:21. Reason: PS added
Old Wednesday 29th August 2012, 22:21   #4
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Boat trips out of Portree should score you Sea Eagle,

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 29th August 2012, 22:24   #5
developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
Boat trips out of Portree should score you Sea Eagle,

Rich
Thanks Rich...i was considering taking a boat trip but didn't really know where from..
Old Wednesday 29th August 2012, 22:29   #6
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

No worries. There's some great trip reports from Sandra et al which are always helpful to look at Steve as well. Gordon Hamlett's book is superb also.

www.skye-birds.com should also be worth a visit.

Have a great trip,

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 29th August 2012, 22:53   #7
developer

Checked out the skye-birds.com site....looks great!

Where will i find the "trip report" threads Rich?
Old Thursday 30th August 2012, 08:42   #8
Sandra (Taylor)

Quote:
No worries. There's some great trip reports from Sandra et al which are always helpful to look at Steve as well. Gordon Hamlett's book is superb also.

www.skye-birds.com should also be worth a visit.

Have a great trip,

Rich
I've acquired a book - Skye Birds by Bob McMillan which you will see on the website. That's really useful. We're off to Skye for a week on 29th September before our annual pilgrimage to Speyside! It's years since we stayed on Skye so really looking forward to it. A pity we have to miss out Mull this year.

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:07   #9
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Hi Steve. I'm not sure how to get to them directly but if you look at the Scotland forum and scan through you should be able to get a few. Perhaps others can provide direct links?

Rich

Old Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:51   #10
developer

Quote:
Hi Steve. I'm not sure how to get to them directly but if you look at the Scotland forum and scan through you should be able to get a few. Perhaps others can provide direct links?

Rich
Thanks Rich i will do that..
Old Thursday 30th August 2012, 19:18   #11
Ratal

My personal list for Skye last september.

Sea Eagle, Golden Eagle, Peregrine, Merlin, Hen Harrier, Common Buzzard and Short Eared Owl.
Sea Eagle was over the Inner Sound, just to the right as you go into Skye itself over the bridge, Peregrine wheeling high over shortly after.

Simply put, if you go home without Gold and Sea on your list, its been either A) blooming foggy, or B) stair rods. Option C) Not looking... well lets not go there!
Old Friday 31st August 2012, 20:57   #12
June Atkinson

Red face

Quote:

regards

Steve
Ospreys are beginning to leave the Highlands on their migration south, so keep your eyes open whenever you're near water. The ospreys will fly then fish and roost at intervals.
Have a look at Roy Dennis's website and you see that Beatrice has left for her winter in Southern Spain. She doesn't go to Africa!!
http://www.roydennis.org/animals/rap...lite-tracking/

Have a look at his entries for Golden Eagle too.

Have a wonderful time!

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 7th September 2012, 18:08   #13
Cartman

Quote:
Thanks Rich...i was considering taking a boat trip but didn't really know where from..
get yourself across to Mull and head to Grasspoint, great chance of both eagles there, Ospreys will be gone though.

Best chance of seeing a Goldie is after a long spell of rain, they will come out to hunt as dusk once the rain clears
Old Friday 7th September 2012, 18:11   #14
Cartman

Quote:
some great boat trips out of Tobermory, look at Sea Life Surveys
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: