Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Starling Murmurations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 1st November 2013, 14:04   #1
rachk116

Starling Murmurations

Hi all,
After watching Autumnwatch this week, I was wondering if anyone can tell me of any Starling Murmurations near to the Hull area. I remember about 3 years ago of one near to a large farm just north of Bridlington (Martonian Inn??). If anyone knows of any I'd be really grateful of any info.

Thanks in advance
Rachel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15340_161984524068_1612742_n.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	470882  
Old Friday 1st November 2013, 15:21   #2
Lawts
Supa Silly Un

I think Blacktoft sometimes but check with reserve.
Old Friday 1st November 2013, 15:34   #3
BirdFlower
Always more to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachk116 View Post
Hi all,
After watching Autumnwatch this week, I was wondering if anyone can tell me of any Starling Murmurations near to the Hull area. I remember about 3 years ago of one near to a large farm just north of Bridlington (Martonian Inn??). If anyone knows of any I'd be really grateful of any info.

Thanks in advance
Rachel
Last year Potteric Carr was the place to be. Only 45 mins from Hull, but I'd check with the reserve first
Old Friday 1st November 2013, 16:29   #4
birdieboy123
All The Gear, No Idea

I've heard that there is one at Far Ings in Barton, just across the bridge, but I've not seen it myself

My Flickr Photos
My Twitter @jpsadler
Old Friday 1st November 2013, 20:38   #5
BirdFlower
Always more to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachk116 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Rachel
If you can't find Starlings locally, there's always a similar spectacle with added colour just outside Hull. Thousands of Golden Plovers at Paull Holme Strays. Can be absolutely stunning when a predator sends them up into the air.
Old Friday 1st November 2013, 21:04   #6
pshute

The sound of these flocks in flight must be spectacular, but for some reason everyone who puts a video on Youtube wants to play music or talk over it. Can anyone direct me to a video or recording of Starlings flocking that has good sound?

Apologies for hijacking the thread.
Old Friday 1st November 2013, 21:39   #7
birdieboy123
All The Gear, No Idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuY9hJ6gKeI

My Flickr Photos
My Twitter @jpsadler

Last edited by birdieboy123 : Friday 1st November 2013 at 21:42.
Old Saturday 2nd November 2013, 04:51   #8
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdieboy123 View Post
Talking and music in that one too, although at least he whispers and pauses.
Old Thursday 7th November 2013, 12:27   #9
rachk116

Thanks guys, I'll try and check some of those out.

Rachel
Old Thursday 7th November 2013, 15:01   #10
Saphire
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshute View Post
The sound of these flocks in flight must be spectacular, but for some reason everyone who puts a video on Youtube wants to play music or talk over it. Can anyone direct me to a video or recording of Starlings flocking that has good sound?

Apologies for hijacking the thread.
I have a video with sound. It was taken in my garden, at the 2 minute mark the swooshing noise you hear is them taking off from the conifers, they came out in waves. They were only 10 feet away from me so the noise was deafening. Hubby was covered in poo, I only had a few spots LOL!

http://youtu.be/Uo5Kh74ImBc

Last edited by Saphire : Thursday 7th November 2013 at 16:28.
Old Friday 8th November 2013, 13:57   #11
AndyK

Im waiting to see one in the LDV, there is a huge number in North Duffield at the moment and we get a mini murmuration when over 100 are devouring my fat balls!
Old Friday 8th November 2013, 21:06   #12
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
I have a video with sound. It was taken in my garden, at the 2 minute mark the swooshing noise you hear is them taking off from the conifers, they came out in waves. They were only 10 feet away from me so the noise was deafening. Hubby was covered in poo, I only had a few spots LOL!

http://youtu.be/Uo5Kh74ImBc
Thanks for that, I think it's the best I've found so far. Is there some kind of machinery running in the background in most of the scenes? And water trickling in the last one?
Old Saturday 9th November 2013, 08:39   #13
Saphire
Christine

Pshute, there is no machinery running but I do have a fountain. I have listened again, I can hear my breathing, the shutter of hubby's camera and about 3/4 of the way through there could be a helicopter.
Old Saturday 9th November 2013, 09:12   #14
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Pshute, there is no machinery running but I do have a fountain. I have listened again, I can hear my breathing, the shutter of hubby's camera and about 3/4 of the way through there could be a helicopter.
Perhaps it's the hum of the fountain pump. It vanishes at 3:02 and is replaced by the water. I assume you moved away from the pump towards the fountain.

But enough of that, it still gives a better impression of what the flocks sound like than anything else I've found on YouTube. I don't know why people feel they have to "fill in the gaps" with music when the sound is so spectacular.

I was sent this link to a recording made with a shotgun mic:
https://audioboo.fm/boos/553531-flock

That one's interesting because it's a dawn recording, so it includes the sudden silence after the flock departs.

Peter Shute
Old Saturday 9th November 2013, 09:53   #15
Saphire
Christine

I keep listening now, I turned the volume right up, at first I thought it was the camera motor, I was using the 7D but I still think it is a helicopter in the distance, we do get a lot going over. They may have kept there distance for a while the last thing they want to do is get caught in the middle.
Old Monday 18th November 2013, 21:21   #16
melodious

Not in Yorkshire I admit but in a neighbouring county; currently in excess of 50000 birds roosting at Middleton Moor, Derbyshire and giving a tidy display. For those who have been to the site before the birds are not roosting at the more familiar lagoon (with the bird hide). Rather access from A623 west of Eyam, turning south at Housley along Thunderpit Lane (signposted Cavendish Mill). Keep left where the road forks. Park by gate at SK 20126 75104. Climb gate and walk short distance until beyond trees. The reedbed where the roost is can be observed from the bank. Obviously don't approach too closely so as not to disturb the roost. Alternatively a good view point to watch the flocks forming pre-roost is from Moisty Lane; continue along Thunderpit Lane and turn right at Cavendish Mill. The road goes under the overhead pipes, continue until clear of the small wood on the right. This lane is pretty rough but passable. The journey can be made from various locations by public transport via Stoney Middleton. How long the roost remains is debatable; a good freeze of the Derbyshire Peak District fields is likely to move them on.
Old Saturday 23rd November 2013, 20:21   #17
melodious

A Dearne Valley roost;

http://barnsleybirds.blogspot.co.uk/...starlings.html
Old Monday 2nd December 2013, 19:41   #18
melodious

The Middleton Moor roost currently appears to have begun to decline after peaking at c120000. Still an impressive 40000+ last weekend though. Occasional updates can be found at http://sbsg.org/sightings/recent-news

Some great photos here; darleydalewildlife.blogspot.com

Evening gives a more protracted display but to appreciate the sheer volume of birds a visit at dawn is better with virtually the entire roost leaving within a minute as demonstrated in this video by the same author http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAU3tTltPj0

Also 11000 still roosting in the Dearne valley

http://barnsleybirds.blogspot.co.uk/...y-1-12-13.html

Last edited by melodious : Tuesday 3rd December 2013 at 13:27. Reason: Barnsley gen added
Old Wednesday 4th December 2013, 12:53   #19
AndyK

There were a good number just over alkborough flats the other evening viewed from singleton hide at Blacktoft, we were all watching them when the hen harrier flew in!
Old Thursday 27th February 2014, 20:52   #20
AndyEmery

Large murmuration by the A1 at Leeming Bar this evening. Stunning!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: