• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March 2nd (1 Viewer)

darrenG

march 2014 091 (480x640).jpg

march 2014 096 (640x480).jpg

march 2014 097 (640x480).jpg

march 2014 095 (640x480).jpg

march 2014 028 (640x480).jpg

Hi all,
Today was a short but promising walk through our valley, I decided to take my camera with me to try and capture anything of interest to me....
Sadly no sign of the Little Egret that was about over the last couple of weeks - but I will keep my eye out for it in the future....
By the amount of Buzzards about it seems that the population is doing really well....up to 5 years ago i had never seen one in the valley....
By the amount of pigeon feathers about the Sparrow Hawk population seems to be doing ok too (see image 1)
I also came across a "plucking perch" for a bird of pray. I cant identify the victim but the feathers seem to look like a Kestrel's ? any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. (image 2 shows the feathers i put in situation to show them better, image 3 are as found)
On other wildlife matters, I came across the first frog spawn in a marshy part of a field adjacent to the River Trent. I have known this marsh to be visited by frogs for over 40 years, and it's reassuring to know that it continues. ( see image 4)
On a more serious matter I found some footprints of Mink on the banks of the Trent that show that they are still prevalent in the area..... I am sure that the loss of species such as moor-hen, coot, and Water-vole along this small stretch of the Trent, is down to the presence of the Mink....
Sorry to end on such a negative manner, but I feel that people should be aware of the change in species that inhabit the surrounding area....

I look forward to your help and comments on this Post......

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back