Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RFI: Cambodia and Laos in November

Old Tuesday 1st March 2016, 21:08   #1
davidg

RFI: Cambodia and Laos in November

I'm looking at taking an organised trip to Laos and Cambodia in November this year and would be grateful for any suggestions as to what to look out for.
In Laos we'll be travelling down the Mekong from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang before flying to Vientiane. There's a further flight to Pakse before we go by road to Phnom Penh via Champasak and Kratie. We finish the trip in Siem Reap and I'm hoping to organise a couple of days birding through the Sam Veasna Centre.
The trip will be with a number of non-birders so I'll have to fit bird-watching in as and when I can but there should be a number of opportunities hopefully. This will be my first trip to the far east so any help would be very welcome.
Many thanks,
David
Old Thursday 3rd March 2016, 04:33   #2
Jeff hopkins

I went to Luang Prabang a few years ago. There wasn't that much bird-wise in town. I took the tour to Pak O caves and during that I was able to find small pratincole (but not much else). I also took a boat across the river and did a little birding over there while doing some temple exploring. I put a quick trip report on Birdforum. Do a search on "Luang" and you'll find it.

I can strongly recommend Sam Veasna Center. They provided the local leader for our tour.
Old Thursday 3rd March 2016, 17:11   #3
davidg

Hi Jeff,
Thankfully this isn't a birding trip otherwise I think I would be very disappointed in Laos from the various trip reports I've read! I'm due to spend 2 days travelling on the Mekong going towards Luang Prabang so perhaps I should take a good book and look forward to my two days with the Sam Veasna people.
Thanks for your help.
David
Old Thursday 3rd March 2016, 19:55   #4
andyadcock

You know about River Dolphins and Mekong Wagtail at Kratie I assume?

A boat trip in to the river should get you both but the Dolphins are often viewable from the bank.

Look for the Wagtails on the small islands in the River

Andy

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 3rd March 2016 at 19:57.
Old Thursday 3rd March 2016, 22:06   #5
davidg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
You know about River Dolphins and Mekong Wagtail at Kratie I assume?

A boat trip in to the river should get you both but the Dolphins are often viewable from the bank.

Look for the Wagtails on the small islands in the River

Andy
Hi Andy,
Yes, the dolphins are the main reason for visiting Kratie but the wagtails would also be welcome. Thanks for the information.

David
Old Thursday 24th March 2016, 19:16   #6
davidg

I've now booked two day-trips with the Sam Veasna Centre. The first is to the Prek Toal reserve and the second to Koh Ker and Beng Melea. I was advised that I'll be there at the wrong time of year for Bengal Florican which is a shame. Has anyone been to these sites? Any info beyond what's on the SVC website would be helpful.
Thanks,
David
Old Sunday 16th October 2016, 19:06   #7
davidg

The trip is now all sorted and I'm off in about 3 weeks. We have time off in Luang Prabang and Vientiane so if anyone can suggest somewhere worth visiting for half a day in or very near either town I'd be grateful. We also have half a day in Kratie, Cambodia and have already organised a trip to see the dolphins and, hopefully, Mekong Wagtail - anything else to look out for here?
Thanks,
David
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: