• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

Three solid additions for me, the first being at least six flocks of nocturnal migrants.

70. Least Sandpiper (f)
71. Pine Siskin (f)
72. Purple Martin (f)

Before last night, I had only heard Least Sand on two other occasions. One quick note here: I am very judicious in counting nocturnal migrants, only recording them if they are unmistakable calls and heard well several times.

I was thrilled to have the siskin. I thought I'd missed the window for that! Given last year's big irruption, there's a good chance I won't have any this fall.

The martin was simply a clean-up species, but one that peaks in late April.

Jos, Paul and Wari, your combined latest additions are all needed here, that's 13 species I haven't yet seen for the Garden List this year, I'm really pleased for you all.

Really.:-C

Singing Little Crakes and various Acros, I ask you.................

Richard, you have dozens that I don't - and never get. Do you wanna switch? |;|

One more yesterday with a migrant

73. Ruby-throated Hummingbird (f)

The dreamed-for Mississippi Kite did not materialize, but 7 Common Nighthawks were a decent consolation prize.

Sleeping out this night - calls of quadrillion frogs echoing all over, plus a Bittern booming and the Little Crake too, but over the top several Thrush Nightingales belting out sone and one Grasshopper Warbler reeling. Just on edge of property as I drove in, one Long-eared Owl, only the second time I have seen here (although common in neighbouring forests)

105. Long-eared Owl.
106. Thrush Nightingale
107. Grasshopper Warblers.

Last edited:
Finally some warm sunny weather today, sending two typical summer arrivals within range of my binoculars:

67 Griffon Vulture
68 Common Swift

House Martins have been back in the village for two weeks now, but the trees are blocking my view down there from here, so I will have to wait for one to wander a bit, the other impending arrival is Red-backed Shrike (arrived 16 May in 2017, first one recorded on 28th last year, though we were in Armenia from 12 to 25 May).

... the other impending arrival is Red-backed Shrike (arrived 16 May in 2017, first one recorded on 28th last year, though we were in Armenia from 12 to 25 May).

I have a worrying absence of Red-backed Shrike so far this year, I am hoping they are just late. Nice 'shrike piles' waiting for them, so far just used by Whitethroats.

Red-backed Shrikes

I have a worrying absence of Red-backed Shrike so far this year, I am hoping they are just late. Nice 'shrike piles' waiting for them, so far just used by Whitethroats.

Late arrival indeed Jos for the Red-backed Shrikes, if the link below works you can see the situation as it was in the first week of May across Europe, if you then click on to EuroBird Portal the current picture seems more reassuring:

https://www.ornitho.ch/index.php?m_id=21&a=N706#FN706

Hopefully you won't be suffering with your piles for much longer;)

I didn't have to wait too long after all for the next one:

69 House Martin

One overhead with four Swifts yesterday.

Still no Red-backed Shrike, but a welcome Spotted Flycatcher today, investigating a nest site - these have been scarce in recent years, so pleased with this.

Little Crake still singing, with Bittern et al.

108. Spotted Flycatcher

Yay, 20 minutes after the above post, a male Red-backed Shrike singing right adjacent to the piles! Very satisfying indeed, even the hedgeline he is singing from I planted.

109. Red-backed Shrike.

Mouth-watering stuff, Jos. I still need Little Crake.

You still would need it even if you visited me ...it is singing from reeds very close, but not a big chance of seeing it I think (I guess I could tape lure it, but no plans to do this).

Bittern is also very close and booming all day every day, haven't seen him either :)

One interesting addition:

74. Common Yellowthroat

Certainly a breeder, but one that I thought was forced out by construction a couple years ago.

Busy busy here, though the leaves are starting to make things more difficult.

59 Cape May Warbler
60 Mourning Dove - Heard only so far. Over and over and over.
61 Red-eyed Vireo
62 Magnolia Warbler
63 Bay-breasted Warbler
64 Eastern Wood-Pewee
65 American Redstart
66 Chestnut-sided Warbler
67 Blackpoll Warbler Brand new to my Province list, let alone the garden! Seen from the sofa this morning! Takes my garden life list to 106.
68 Philadelphia Vireo

Busy busy here, though the leaves are starting to make things more difficult.

59 Cape May Warbler
60 Mourning Dove - Heard only so far. Over and over and over.
61 Red-eyed Vireo
62 Magnolia Warbler
63 Bay-breasted Warbler
64 Eastern Wood-Pewee
65 American Redstart
66 Chestnut-sided Warbler
67 Blackpoll Warbler Brand new to my Province list, let alone the garden! Seen from the sofa this morning! Takes my garden life list to 106.
68 Philadelphia Vireo

That is a rather nice list of additions!

Agree, well done Amy. Still quiet here, waiting for some regulars to arrive. Luckily, while scanning the distant peaks for Short-toed Eagle (I saw a pair nearby a fortnight ago now) two acrobatic

70 Alpine Swift

flew into view, I would never have spotted them with the naked eye! Only the second record since we arrived at this house in 2016 and the first in Spring. Warm weather forecast so hopefully that tardy Red-backed Shrike will turn up along with the local Honey Buzzards.....

Well that was quick!

71 Honey Buzzard

A good raptor day so far, 9 Griffon Vultures, this pair of Honey Buzzards, Common Buzzards, a Black Kite and a Red Kite.

Edit, More birds of prey later, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Golden Eagle pair distantly, four more Honey Buzzards (migrating) and the icing on the cake,a gliding

72 Short-toed Eagle

making nine species in the day. I think a glass of red is meritedB :)

Attachments

• bondrĂ©e f reduced.jpg
    bondrée f reduced.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 12
  • bondrĂ©e m2 1.6.19.jpg
    bondrée m2 1.6.19.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back