Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A spot of birding.

Old Tuesday 13th June 2006, 16:08   #1
Ant
North Wales birder

A spot of birding.

Hi all

I went into college today to sort a few things out.

Anyway, I had planned to go and see if I could see the local peregrines after college, however the weather did not look too good.

On the way however I allowed myself at least 10 minutes to check out a flooded field that I have seen on the bus many times, which is only a 100 metres off my route to college.

I knew that there was a footpath off a small industrial estate that would take me close to the fields.

On the water was a coot, with possibly another in the distance or a moorhen, I could not tell as I only had my camera. A drake mallard was out in the open, and I found one or 2 duck mallard with ducklings by some trees, I never got a clear view so I was unable to see the exact numbers. Flying over the water where House martins and swallows, with tits in the bushes. The occasional magpie was around, around along with jackdaws, and woodpigeon. I was surprised to see 2 drake tufted ducks an one duck tufted duck, but it was the small flock of lapwings that caught my attention most.

I then moved round to a carpark by the local volkswagen dealer, where I could get clear views of the entire area. It was clear that with all the dry weather we've had recently a lot of the water had dried up as there was no sgin of the mute swan pair, they must of dediced to move on due to the reduced ammount of water. I don't know If they had a next here, but if they had eggs and/or cygnets they have most likely been abandoned, but then that is the risk of such a large waterbird breeding on a area that is mostly filled by rainwater, hopfully if their is enough rain to get the waterlevel up they will return.

Take care,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lapwings1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	48846  Click image for larger version

Name:	lapwings3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	48848  Click image for larger version

Name:	mallard.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	48850  Click image for larger version

Name:	tufty1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	48851  Click image for larger version

Name:	tufty2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	48852  

Last edited by Anthony Britner : Tuesday 13th June 2006 at 18:49.
Old Tuesday 13th June 2006, 18:46   #2
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Hi Ant

'Flash' pools like this can often attract rarer birds so are always worth a good look.

What you descibe with the Mallards possibly leaving highlights just how dependant birds can be on weather conditions. The Sand Martin nests shown in Springwatch last week which were flooded out when the rive rrose spings to mind. Goos that the birds keep at it though.

take care

I see the Mallards have changed to Mute Swans or was i dreaming that???

Last edited by brianfm : Tuesday 13th June 2006 at 19:14.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th June 2006, 18:51   #3
Ant
North Wales birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfm
Hi Ant

'Flash' pools like this can often attract rarer birds so are always worth a good look.

What you descibe with the Mallards possibly leaving highlights just how dependant birds can be on weather conditions. The Sand Martin nests shown in Springwatch last week which were flooded out when the rive rrose spings to mind. Goos that the birds keep at it though.

take care
Opps I ment mute swans not mallard.

An embarrassed Ant
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: