Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sir David ...what are we going to do without him?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 5th February 2007, 22:48   #1
ghostrider

Sir David ...what are we going to do without him?

I read in the times today that Sir David Attenborough is retiring after his latest series about reptiles.
A new series called "life" is being made over the next 3 years, but he isn't going to present it. Who is going to to take his place?
Not Alan Titchmarsh... Please!
Old Monday 5th February 2007, 22:56   #2
Helwith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider
I read in the times today that Sir David Attenborough is retiring after his latest series about reptiles.
A new series called "life" is being made over the next 3 years, but he isn't going to present it. Who is going to to take his place?
Not Alan Titchmarsh... Please!
LOL, Nor B Oddie hopefully! Simon King might be in the offing his dad might pull a few strings

CRF
Old Monday 5th February 2007, 23:02   #3
ghostrider

Simon King would be good. Don't think Bill could could pull it off.
Old Monday 5th February 2007, 23:52   #4
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

[quote=ghostrider]Simon King would be good.

About the only wildlife presenter I can think of who doesn't have a background in childrens tv/''comedy''?

Who else does that leave?

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 00:07   #5
Barred Wobbler

I like Simon King, but he does have that irritating habit of giving the animals names.

Certainly the two others mentioned above must not be allowed anywhere near the short-list.
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 08:03   #6
Farnboro John

Charlotte Uhlenbroek - intellectual cred and yum yum yum

John
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 08:10   #7
Di Stone

What about Saba Douglas Hamilton?

Di

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 09:17   #8
Stewart J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John
Charlotte Uhlenbroek - intellectual cred and yum yum yum

John
She definately gets my vote

Stewart

BF Supporter 2005 2007 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 09:22   #9
malgos

Kate humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart J.
She definately gets my vote

Stewart
How about Kate Humble. At least it will split her and Bill Oddie up.
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 09:28   #10
colonelboris
Right way up again

Sod it - if that's all we've got to offer, I'll do it..

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 10:23   #11
pianoman
duck and diver, bobolink and weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di Stone
What about Saba Douglas Hamilton?

Di
I fell out of love with her when she started advertising 4X4s...
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 10:27   #12
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

[quote=Alan Seaton]I like Simon King, but he does have that irritating habit of giving the animals names.

QUOTE]

That may be more the programme makers' decision than his. In any case, when following the trials and tribulations of a number of beasts (particularly large hierarchical groups) there's no way of following what's going on without being able to quickly identify and refer to individuals, and names are a good deal easier to remember than numbers. If, when simply illustrating a piece of animal behaviour, be it mating, feeding etc, he continues naming the animals, then I'll take that back!

For what it's worth, I also rate Simon King, but prefer Nick Baker and Chris Packham.

James
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 10:30   #13
dafi

How about brains off thunderbirds hes intelegent articulate with an endering stutter.The strings might be a problem in the jungle. But im shure we would warm to his antics as he playfully fends off gs wood peckers and beavers on his travels. Probably worth the licence fee on its own.!!
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 10:40   #14
Sandra (Taylor)

Nick Baker?

Chris Packham?

Sorry James. Wrote this before I looked at your suggestions. Great minds??

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 12:21   #15
KnockerNorton

I've had a few conversations about tbis. If they want a 'new attenborough', long term, rather than a jobbing presetner, then it has to be someone with an academic background like Attenborough's, to have the credibility to carry the weight of knowledge across. That only leaves Uhlenbroek. Virtually all of the rest have backgrounds in children's TV or as cameramen. I think the public does, just, still want a zoologist or biologist.

Unfortunately, however, since the BBC went to bed with Discovery and turned all their productions into the modern equivalent of Gentle Ben (contrived cutesy storylines, anthropomorphic dubbing, heavy editing to remove any scenes of sex or actual blood, a focussing on pretty cuddly things or stuff with big teeth, and a subtle eradication of any notion of evolution, all to please the USA market), anyone could now do Attenborough's narration in recent shows. He doesn't actually 'present' anymore, does he?

My heart sank when i read the Times re this new show, and the BBC guy saying it was about 'extremes of predatorial enviornments', and the 50% of life that has to kill for a living, and how they wanted to convey the "emotional" aspect of predators and their prey. So, it sounds like we're in for another show full of lions and killer whales and sharks *almost* killing things before any blood is edited out, and cutesy stories of lost little wildebeest calves who always manage to survive and arrived here through immaculate conception. All to the backdrop of a towering orchestral score that tells when to be impressed with their new camera mounted on the nose of a gnat. While actually telling us absolutely sod all about the natural world.
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 12:33   #16
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

I vote Poecile to be the new presenter - straight to the point, cutting the crap and even with the odd fact or two for free

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 12:41   #17
abagguley

Maybe we could get all the footage of violence & [email protected] that the Beeb edit out & get Poecile to present it on Channel 5?

Adrian
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 12:44   #18
jurek

What about our Timmy?
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 13:04   #19
KnockerNorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford
I vote Poecile to be the new presenter - straight to the point, cutting the crap and even with the odd fact or two for free
Perfect face for radio. And the accent would need subtitles. But maybe I'll send them a tape!
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 13:06   #20
KnockerNorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by abagguley
Maybe we could get all the footage of violence & [email protected] that the Beeb edit out & get Poecile to present it on Channel 5?

Adrian
Isn't there any violence and [email protected] in the world you live in, then, or is it all censored out for you in between the Saga and stairlift adverts?

My point is that it doesn't reflect the real natural world. It reflects a sanitised version that will not scare the horses in the American market, hence no sex, no death, no evolution, hardly any science at all. It's kids tv.
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 13:29   #21
joannec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poecile
it has to be someone with an academic background like Attenborough's, to have the credibility to carry the weight of knowledge across..... want a zoologist or biologist.

I agree it should be someone with credibility, someone who people with some prior knowledge can learn from. We need someone who knows alot more than we do. I know we all have different levels of understanding and experience but we don't need another dumbed down programme with soppy presenters. Attenborough will be very hard for anyone to follow. I think it does need a scientist.

Joanne

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 13:53   #22
Collster

What about Borat, surely an ideal candidate with his presenting style
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 13:54   #23
Capercaillie71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poecile
Virtually all of the rest have backgrounds in children's TV or as cameramen. I think the public does, just, still want a zoologist or biologist.
Chris Packham may have come from Children's television, but it was a children's nature programme, and he does have a zoology degree.
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 13:55   #24
Barred Wobbler

[quote=JWN Andrewes]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Seaton
I like Simon King, but he does have that irritating habit of giving the animals names.

QUOTE]

That may be more the programme makers' decision than his. In any case, when following the trials and tribulations of a number of beasts (particularly large hierarchical groups) there's no way of following what's going on without being able to quickly identify and refer to individuals, and names are a good deal easier to remember than numbers. If, when simply illustrating a piece of animal behaviour, be it mating, feeding etc, he continues naming the animals, then I'll take that back!

For what it's worth, I also rate Simon King, but prefer Nick Baker and Chris Packham.

James
I blame Simon for being one of the trail-blazers of the naming game, with his "Drift the Mute Swan" and that stuff all those years ago.

I remember David Attenborough from his early days on Zoo Quest and have always enjoyed his stuff. He'll take some replacing. I remember him giving an interview on telly in about the 1970s when he was decying anthropomorphism in natural history programmes. I wish more had heard and listened to what he said.

Another thing about him is that even though he often appears in-shot, he doesn't upstage his subject, unlike so many of the current crop of presenters who aren't happy if they think a shot of an animal is preventing their own face from filling the frame. Bill Oddie and Charlotte Ohlenbroek please take note.

You are right about Chris Packham. I enjoy his stuff. He doesn't dominate the topic.
Old Tuesday 6th February 2007, 14:26   #25
Silvershark

Cry? lol

Alistair Forthergill will still probably work on the programmes, he has a similar background to David and has worked with him for years now. So I suspect the programmes might not fail, though I doubt he'll go into presenting them though according to some sources the BBC have him lined up as a replacement... I personally think they should find an unknown presenter if Alistair doesn't take over the presenting aspect. All the others already come with "baggage" and their own styles so I think getting an unknown who can follow in David's footsteps but develop his own style out of that would be the best option. If Alan Titchmarsh takes over I'm throwing my TV out of the window lol I can't stand him at all!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: