• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is hiding in the reeds? (1 Viewer)

Hi Aiden I see this is your first post, so may I welcome you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators at Bird Forum

I'm sorry I can't help with the identification, but I'm sure there'll be someone along soon who can.

D

Looks more like Reed Warbler to me, would expect to see more of the super, even in that rather awkward light, if it were Sedge.

James

Looks more like Reed Warbler to me, would expect to see more of the super, even in that rather awkward light, if it were Sedge.

James

Dark lores, James, super extends behind eye and well above it, pale cheeks, dark brow compared with rest of head, and dark shoulder 'patch' - admittedly difficult and overexposed/burnt out pic (no offense to photographer!) so perhaps not straight forward.

have lightened/upped contrast a bit:

Attachments

• reed bird.jpg
    reed bird.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, sorry about the detail in the photo, I saw a flash of movement in the reeds, quickly pointed my camera, crossed my fingers and pressed the button. That was the last I saw of it.
Cheers, Aiden

I'd favor Reed W too...

you could be right, 'normally' the super would be more visible. Unfortunately, the whole of the face is not only in shadow but there's significant bleeding when pics upped to 500+ - the mantle tones colour on enlarged pic seems to show varigated darkness with warmer tones suggesting presence of streaking, the head tones are greyish on the top of the crown contrasting with nape, there appears to be a continuous 'line' of some sort from front to back above super/extending at the most exposed/sun side of the head. The contrast between the brow/to back of head that's still in shadow, is actually quite dark compared to super. The back of the super unfortunately is either obscured by reed or 'burnt' out. IMV, don't think it's straightforward but not willing to get involved in another long and protracted SW/? debate ;) - just my observations from the pic which may well be subjective. (my gut says tail looks a little short for RW but against very subjective ob)

Last edited:
This bird is not worthy of the debate.
The big contrast of the bird is attributable to the strong back ligth.
So we can not appreciate just at all to the colour of the bird.
In my experience and mind,
the general jizz differs somewhat between these species.
E.g.
the superc is clearly too narrow for Sedge,
also Sedge has more often 'the beer belly' whereas Reed has more slim body,
possibly the length of tail looks mostly shorter in Sedge than in Reed,
and possibly typical posture is mostly more vertical in Sedge than in Reed.
Of course, these are mainly relative features...;-)
See the follow link (Sedge):
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/digimies/20040708_CRW_7297.JPG

Last edited:
I think the shoulder patch is a bit of the reeds in the way.

Would opt for sedge myself due to the strength of the super and the contrast between back and belly (though I admit it is exaggerated by the strong light)

First impression this AM was Reed Warbler. Read all posts today and still think Reed Warbler. I guess this is the maligned zen approach to ID but no amount of detailed analysis can for me overcome this being a slim, plain bird without an obvious super rather than a streaky, bouncy bird with a patterned face.

Graham

Pointedly just superc makes it Reed Warbler,
[a) the border between the supercilium and the forehead is mostly rather distinct in this bird (some diffuse due to shadow; sedge's sc has usually very distinct and sharp),
b) the supercilium continues mostly rather distinctly to above eye in this bird (sedge's sc has distinct, sharp and wide),
c) but not continue beyond clearly (sedge's most strongest part of the superc often starts from above the eye continuing beyond the eye, but it varies individually and depending on the angle).

Well the vote's overwhelmingly in favour of Reed, so there's no argument here - as I said in response to the original suggestion of Reed Bunting, obs from (not very clear pic) were very subjective - but happy to be proved wrong on this occasion!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back