Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

hello, i have a roadrunner question!!

Old Sunday 27th May 2007, 18:28   #1
tasneem

hello, i have a roadrunner question!!

hello everyone..
i need to know how many tail feathers a typical (greater) roadrunner runs around with? i am reconstructing a fan from old feathers, and need to knwo the accurate amount, if anyone knows! thanks very much....
Old Sunday 27th May 2007, 19:01   #2
Dave B Smith

Hello tasneem,
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum.
As to your Roadrunner question, I can only give you an approximate answer - 12. I say this based on counting the feathers from this photo.
Hopefully someone can confirm or correct this.

The other link you should check is that concerning the various Bird Protection Laws in the US. It is illegal to keep feathers/ nests, etc. of most migratory birds (not sure if RR is covered since it is non migratory).

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th May 2007, 21:46   #3
craig whitmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B Smith View Post
Hello tasneem,
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum.
As to your Roadrunner question, I can only give you an approximate answer - 12. I say this based on counting the feathers from this photo.
Hopefully someone can confirm or correct this.

The other link you should check is that concerning the various Bird Protection Laws in the US. It is illegal to keep feathers/ nests, etc. of most migratory birds (not sure if RR is covered since it is non migratory).
Hi Tasneem and Dave

The copyrighted "Birders Handbook" by Ehrlich, Dobbins, and Weheye has a very extensive discussion of the early treaties re: migratory bird protection between The United States Great Britain (on behalf of Canada) and later with Japan, Russia, and Mexico, and also the legislation to augment these treaties.
Following quote is from Pete Thayer's Birds of North America electronic version of said Birders Handbook.

Under special permits, protected non-game species (but not endangered species) may be killed if they become serious local pests. This provision has been used primarily with regard to species of blackbirds and cowbirds when their gigantic fall and winter roosting flocks become nuisances, although control programs have not been without controversy. House Sparrows and starlings, both non-native species, are not protected. No other birds, except those for which there are designated hunting seasons, can be legally killed, trapped, harassed, or possessed (including birds found dead). Even "adoption" of young birds that appear to have been deserted by their parents is illegal without a permit. If found, these apparently unattended young should be left alone, as, more often than not, the adults are not far away. In the United States or Canada, anyone molesting protected birds in any way should be reported to the state or provincial Department of Fish and Game
or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

birds has been interpreted as any body part including feathers, also eggs and nests. Penalty in US up to 6 mo in jail and $500.
Craig

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 28th May 2007, 05:53   #4
robinm

Hi tasneem, welcome to BirdForum

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 28th May 2007, 08:30   #5
John N

Hi tasneem, welcome to Birdforum.Enjoy yourself here.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 29th May 2007, 07:28   #6
Mark Bruce
Super Moderator

Hi, a warm welcome and good to have you with us !

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 29th May 2007, 18:26   #7
tasneem

thank you all for the info. and welcomes! i will look more into the migratory bird laws, especially in relation to native americans, my family! i still, however, want to find out the number of tail feathers on a roadrunner!!! any leads would be appreciative!
thanks and blessings!
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 21:53   #8
masey77

hi there & a big welcome to BF from the heart on chesterfield
Old Friday 1st June 2007, 17:22   #9
RKell1
Landrover, it does exactly what it says on the tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasneem View Post
thank you all for the info. and welcomes! i will look more into the migratory bird laws, especially in relation to native americans, my family! i still, however, want to find out the number of tail feathers on a roadrunner!!! any leads would be appreciative!
thanks and blessings!
I counted 5-8 long tail feathers on a Greater Roadrunner in New Mexico so would go with Craigs photo. With regard to possession of feathers my understanding is that even if you are enrolled in a federally recognised tribe a permit may still be required. Though I don't think the RR migrates?

~Chief Seattle, Duwamish Suquamish~

http://www.dublinbirding.ie/
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: