• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

Blimey Daniel, I bet you'd run out in the middle of your own wedding if a rare turned up within range 8-P

Even I turned my pager off for the ceremony and the agreement was that I would stay for at least the photos. (Thankfully nothing broke all day.) A pager did go off during the ceremony and the vicar leant forward and said, is that one of your twitchers? To which my wife had to respond by saying, no that's my cousin, he is a haematologist and he is on call! B :)

Blimey Daniel, I bet you'd run out in the middle of your own wedding if a rare turned up within range 8-P

My wedding was while the Green Heron was at Messingham and I needed it. I had a go and missed it three days before (much angst and Marion lying to her parents about where we were) - various people turned up at the wedding enthusing about having ticked it, Tringbirder shrugged it off as he'd seen the Sunk Island bird, no pressure eh!!!

We connected en route from Farnborough to Penzance for a honeymoon on Scilly. No, its not exactly on the way....:t:

John

Ok, they've removed the Ruppell's Vulture tick. Dick Forsman has confirmed it was a regular Vulture.

They've also un-ticked the AHG, yet they've added Baird's Sandpiper.

>]Ok, they've removed the Ruppell's Vulture tick. Dick Forsman has confirmed it was a regular Vulture.

This puts them in a tricky position, as they now need to decide whether to return to Iberia for Ruppell's Vulture or accept it as missed. If they hadn't ticked this misidentified bird they would presumably have searched until they found a real Ruppells; instead they left Spain and may have to return separately. Perhaps this is (almost) their first major cock-up.

...or they could come to Sagres in mid-October or so and see one of the 3-4 Rüppell's hanging around then, most years at least.

Last edited:
So not quite as fortunate as it first seemed! Moral of the story - don't take any photos!

Today is apparently 'Vulture awareness day'. For birders this must surely mean brushing up on the key features of immature Ruppell's Griffons, compared to the commoner resident species. :t:

cheers, alan

>]Ok, they've removed the Ruppell's Vulture tick. Dick Forsman has confirmed it was a regular Vulture.

This puts them in a tricky position, as they now need to decide whether to return to Iberia for Ruppell's Vulture or accept it as missed. If they hadn't ticked this misidentified bird they would presumably have searched until they found a real Ruppells; instead they left Spain and may have to return separately. Perhaps this is (almost) their first major cock-up.

I think the Egypt episode was much worse.

What are the features that show their bird as a Griffon? Head and neck? Underwing pattern?

http://andaluciabirdsociety.org/ind...about-birds/116-rueppells-vulture-id-headache

Many thanks

Features per-se aside, I'm always shocked when good light illuminates a Rüppell's underparts - just a very different colour than Griffons warmer tones. I think half the problem is that the underparts are often in shadow and things get more complex than they need to. Also,if the upperparts are seen in anything but good light from a good angle, their milk chocolate colour and the faint contrast between flight feather and coverts isn't obvious either. So I think John Cantelo's comment is pretty relevant as on a view of a potential Rüppell's it could be well worth it to keep the bins or scope on it while on view - to see it from various angles before attempting photos My 2 cents anyway...

Last edited:
Features per-se aside, I'm always shocked when good light illuminates a Rüppell's underparts - just a very different colour than Griffons warmer tones. I think half the problem is that the underparts are often in shadow and things get more complex than they need to. Also,if the upperparts are seen in anything but good light from a good angle, their milk chocolate colour and the faint contrast between flight feather and coverts isn't obvious either. So I think John Cantelo's comment is pretty relevant as on a view of a potential Rüppell's it could be well worth it to keep the bins or scope on it while on view - to see it from various angles before attempting photos My 2 cents anyway...

Simon

Many thanks. That is useful. One of those classic ones for me of only having been for an adult which was sitting in exactly the place that I was told that it was going to be sitting - so in reality, I learned very little!

All the best

So, the next birding will be in Britain and Ireland from the 10th? Looking at the forecast, they should fly to Shannon a day earlier to get in some good seawatching at the Bridges of Ross on Sunday and Monday as conditions look really good. Can anyone relay that info to them? I hope to there myself on Sunday.

So, the next birding will be in Britain and Ireland from the 10th? Looking at the forecast, they should fly to Shannon a day earlier to get in some good seawatching at the Bridges of Ross on Sunday and Monday as conditions look really good. Can anyone relay that info to them? I hope to there myself on Sunday.

Realistically, what are they likely to see from an Irish headland that they haven't already seen? I think they might still need Sooty Shearwater, but anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back