• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

60mm Macro Lens (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

Bought this lens just a few weeks ago to try my hand at insect macro something that I've been wanting to do for a long time and have absolutely been loving using it, difficult but love the lens. However after using it early this morning noticed condensation in the lens not on the outside, is this going to be a problem for me in the future or is it ok! Was a bit surprised as this is supposed to be a water/dust proof lens. Just a few shots to show why I like it!

Attachments

• P2180497_1.JPG
    P2180497_1.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 54
  • P2160545_1.JPG
    P2160545_1.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 50
  • P2140626_1.JPG
    P2140626_1.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 43
Did you come out from a room with strong AC into a humid environment or visa versa?

My immediate reaction is that you should not have condensation on the inside even under such conditions with a water/dust proof lens.

Niels

I would certainly return it to be checked out. I've had this lens for a few years and used in all sorts of conditions, even dropping it into a muddy puddle on one occasion, and it's never let me down.

I rang the camera shop up today and they were less than supportive and don't believe that it would be a an issue covered by Olympus. Their advise was to put the lens in a bowl of rice or buy a dehumidifier! To be fair I only noticed because the grass and bushes were wet with dew and I was checking that the lens was clear normally I would not look and would guess that few others would either.
It's a fabulous lens and I've bought and been a loyal customer of Olympus for many years but I keep getting issues with their kit so next time I will change brands there comes a time when enough is enough and I say that even though I'm a huge fan of Olympus!

Contact oly directly. If they state that their lens is waterproof, then I do not believe fogging should be possible

Niels

The dealer informed me that the lens is weather proof not water proof, I believe that is how they can side foot the issue if they so desire!

The dealer informed me that the lens is weather proof not water proof, I believe that is why they say that the lens may not be covered by the warranty!

In the right atmospheric conditions it doesn't surprise me,if the lens extends when focused it has to take air in to fill the extra space, the wrong air conditions and it could form condensation,the only way it wouldn't would be if it was airtight.

Hi,

The dealer informed me that the lens is weather proof not water proof, I believe that is why they say that the lens may not be covered by the warranty!

In the boring technical part of the lens manual, there might be an explanation of what "weatherproof" is actually supposed to mean.

I'd not be surprised if it meant that you actually could briefly immerse the lens in shallow water without harm, so I really wouldn't trust the dealer's statement blindly.

Regards,

Henning

In the right atmospheric conditions it doesn't surprise me,if the lens extends when focused it has to take air in to fill the extra space, the wrong air conditions and it could form condensation,the only way it wouldn't would be if it was airtight.

The lens has internal focussing which is one of the ways they can design the weather-proofing into it.

Hopefully, flossiepip has registered the purchase with Olympus in whch case contacting them direct should get the issue sorted.

I would expect that most weatherproof lenses are only weatherpropf when physically connected to the camera.

This lens does not extend when in use, so it will not suck in vast quantities of air when at minimum focus distance, though a fair amount of movement appears to be going on internally. As the lens operates on a focus by wire principle I cannot tell if the rear element moves significantly.

After problems in the past, the room that I store all my optical gear does have a sizeable de-humidifier running automatically if there is a problem. All this was set up some time ago as I was suffering mould internally on older film lenses.

Of course the lenses live in the real world when in use and I have never had internal humidity problems, I do take care not to expose them to sudden changes in temperature as even if they do stay dry internally, getting covered in condensation externally is a bad idea if you hope to get sharp photos.

I would always talk to the manufacturer if you have a problem, especially if the lens is new and you are not happy with your dealer. My experience with dealers and repairers is mixed to say the least.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back