Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

60mm Macro Lens

Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 20:22   #1
flossiepip

60mm Macro Lens

Bought this lens just a few weeks ago to try my hand at insect macro something that I've been wanting to do for a long time and have absolutely been loving using it, difficult but love the lens. However after using it early this morning noticed condensation in the lens not on the outside, is this going to be a problem for me in the future or is it ok! Was a bit surprised as this is supposed to be a water/dust proof lens. Just a few shots to show why I like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2180497_1.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	654469  Click image for larger version

Name:	P2160545_1.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	654470  Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140626_1.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	654471  
Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 20:30   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Did you come out from a room with strong AC into a humid environment or visa versa?

My immediate reaction is that you should not have condensation on the inside even under such conditions with a water/dust proof lens.

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 20:42   #3
flossiepip

We have high humidity here but the temperature stays consistent. I was using the flash, still was surprised!
Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 22:00   #4
Adey Baker

I would certainly return it to be checked out. I've had this lens for a few years and used in all sorts of conditions, even dropping it into a muddy puddle on one occasion, and it's never let me down.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 22:51   #5
flossiepip

I rang the camera shop up today and they were less than supportive and don't believe that it would be a an issue covered by Olympus. Their advise was to put the lens in a bowl of rice or buy a dehumidifier! To be fair I only noticed because the grass and bushes were wet with dew and I was checking that the lens was clear normally I would not look and would guess that few others would either.
It's a fabulous lens and I've bought and been a loyal customer of Olympus for many years but I keep getting issues with their kit so next time I will change brands there comes a time when enough is enough and I say that even though I'm a huge fan of Olympus!
Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 02:44   #6
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Contact oly directly. If they state that their lens is waterproof, then I do not believe fogging should be possible

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 06:03   #7
flossiepip

The dealer informed me that the lens is weather proof not water proof, I believe that is how they can side foot the issue if they so desire!
Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 06:07   #8
flossiepip

The dealer informed me that the lens is weather proof not water proof, I believe that is why they say that the lens may not be covered by the warranty!
Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 08:32   #9
nikonmike

In the right atmospheric conditions it doesn't surprise me,if the lens extends when focused it has to take air in to fill the extra space, the wrong air conditions and it could form condensation,the only way it wouldn't would be if it was airtight.
Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 08:46   #10
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossiepip View Post
The dealer informed me that the lens is weather proof not water proof, I believe that is why they say that the lens may not be covered by the warranty!
In the boring technical part of the lens manual, there might be an explanation of what "weatherproof" is actually supposed to mean.

I'd not be surprised if it meant that you actually could briefly immerse the lens in shallow water without harm, so I really wouldn't trust the dealer's statement blindly.

Regards,

Henning
Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 09:33   #11
Adey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
In the right atmospheric conditions it doesn't surprise me,if the lens extends when focused it has to take air in to fill the extra space, the wrong air conditions and it could form condensation,the only way it wouldn't would be if it was airtight.
The lens has internal focussing which is one of the ways they can design the weather-proofing into it.

Hopefully, flossiepip has registered the purchase with Olympus in whch case contacting them direct should get the issue sorted.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 10:06   #12
iveljay

I would expect that most weatherproof lenses are only weatherpropf when physically connected to the camera.

This lens does not extend when in use, so it will not suck in vast quantities of air when at minimum focus distance, though a fair amount of movement appears to be going on internally. As the lens operates on a focus by wire principle I cannot tell if the rear element moves significantly.

After problems in the past, the room that I store all my optical gear does have a sizeable de-humidifier running automatically if there is a problem. All this was set up some time ago as I was suffering mould internally on older film lenses.

Of course the lenses live in the real world when in use and I have never had internal humidity problems, I do take care not to expose them to sudden changes in temperature as even if they do stay dry internally, getting covered in condensation externally is a bad idea if you hope to get sharp photos.

I would always talk to the manufacturer if you have a problem, especially if the lens is new and you are not happy with your dealer. My experience with dealers and repairers is mixed to say the least.

Last edited by iveljay : Wednesday 21st February 2018 at 10:19.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: