• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Cougar (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I just heard on the news that hair samples found in Fundy Natuional Park have been proven to be from a cougar. This is the first hard evidence that a wild population of Eastern Cougar may exist. The last one shot was in the 1930's, however, there have hundreds of reports of sightings of large cats in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia but no proof.
It remains to be shown whether the hair was from a truly wild animal or from an escapee.
I've listened to many people telling of theior encounters with Eastern Cougars and I'm convinced that most of them are true. A lot of people have been reluctant to report sightings because of the skepticism with which such reports are greeted.

There have been sightings around here in recent years too, Dan. I haven't seen one since I was a kid but my mother in law saw one about 3 years ago.
Also been many more sightings of lynx and bobcat. We've seen all kinds of both in the last 2 years. They still take my breath away every time I see them!

Tammie said:
There have been sightings around here in recent years too, Dan. I haven't seen one since I was a kid but my mother in law saw one about 3 years ago.
Also been many more sightings of lynx and bobcat. We've seen all kinds of both in the last 2 years. They still take my breath away every time I see them!
I thought lynx and bobcat are synonyms?!! Tell me what the 2 species are, please.
a lynx-family fan

lou salomon said:
I thought lynx and bobcat are synonyms?!! Tell me what the 2 species are, please.
a lynx-family fan

Bobcat (Felis rufus)
Canadian Lynx (Felis canadensis)
Northern Lynx (Felis lynx)
Iberian Lynx (Felis pardina)
Caracal (Felis caracal)

I think these are the cats generally regarded as Lynxes. Unfortunately none around here (that would be Felis lynx) in the last 1500 years.

David

Tammie said:
Of the three cats, sadly I've only seen the Bobcat even though I lived in great Cougar country out west.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back