• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guides in Monteverde? (1 Viewer)

ptickner

I will be in CR in March, and will have a couple of days to bird in the Monteverde area. Does anyone have any specific guides they would recommend? I know there are lots of guides in the area, but I've had mixed luck in the past having the hotel arrange one, or just getting one at a reserve entrance. It often seems they are more of a general naturalist guide than a birding guide.

Any input would be great! Thanks.

Paul

Send a PM to Patrick (Birdingcraft) here on BF and see if he is available. He is not based in that area but does guiding away from his home.

Niels

Niels - Patrick is going to guide us at Carara and on a day trip out of San Jose, but he doesn't have anyone to suggest for Monteverde. Thanks for the suggestion though.

So, I'm still open for suggestions....

Did you end up finding a guide?

My wife and I will be in Monteverde on the 17th, 18th and 19th and will be looking for a guide as well. Sorta last minute but such is life.

I did find a guide and he was excellent. His name is Rafael Elizondo, and his email is [email protected]. Very easy to be with, and he certainly knows his birds. He is a CR native and has been guiding full time for 15 years.

My trip report is now up in the Vacational Trip Report forum, and I talk about the day and a half we spent with Rafa.

Please let me know if he works out for you.

Paul

Last edited:
I did find a guide and he was excellent. His name is Rafael Elizondo, and his email is [email protected]. Very easy to be with, and he certainly knows his birds. He is a CR native and has been guiding full time for 15 years.

My trip report is now up in the Vacational Trip Report forum, and I talk about the day and a half we spent with Rafa.

Please let me know if he works out for you.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Rafael was amazing. We spent nearly 6 hours with him and he did a great job.

I'd highly recommend him to anybody else in the area.

Fantastic. I'm glad Rafael worked out for you. We certainly enjoyed our time with him, and were very impressed with his skills.

I hope the rest of your trip was good as well!

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back