• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Copalinga, Ecuador (1 Viewer)

nikothomsen

Hi,

I realize there's not many details in some of the pics, but I hope some of you can help!

1. A very green Fawn-breasted Brilliant?
2. Some antvireo?
3. No clue
4. Antvireo?
5. No clue

Attachments

• D7K_2290-2.jpg
    D7K_2290-2.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 84
  • D7K_2656-2.jpg
    D7K_2656-2.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 71
  • D7K_2782-2.jpg
    D7K_2782-2.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 79
  • D7K_3003-2.jpg
    D7K_3003-2.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 80
  • D7K_3176-2.jpg
    D7K_3176-2.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 82
I have a guess about #3 - but just a guess, because the "business end" of the bird is obscured. To me, the jizz suggest a flowerpiercer.

Going by the Copalinga list, Glossy Flowerpiercer is the best match I can come up with.

Interesting, I had not thought of the flowerpiercer family! I'm a little sceptic of the posture though. I have not experienced flowerpiercers with such a vertically raised tail?

Agree 1 & 3, struggling with the others. 4 looks a little like a tapaculo but nothing on the list matches. 2 perhaps closest to plain-wnged antwren in the guide, but wrong range. Perhaps male plain antvireo if the all grey ssp is in the area.

5 looks like it has some developmental abnormality as the frill of feathers round the bill isn't natural. there's also what might be a tumour at the gape. Even bearing this in mind, haven't found any obvious fits; closest might be goulds jewelfront as the image shows buff on the chest and a blackish bib. Is not clear why there's no indication of jewelfront itself, though, or why the black is bordered by rufous. So currently my best guess is abnormal female or immature male goulds jewelfront

Gould's Jewelfront would be quite a scoop in that area: Ridgeley & Greenfield limits GOJF to eastern lowlands, where Copalinga is not located. Although there is one slope record according to eBird and this record is not far from Copalinga.

Oops looks like I completely misread the copalinga hummers guide I downloaded; thought it was included. So not goulds jewel front. Not clear what it is, though, and think my comments about apparent abnormalities stand. I've never seen a hummer with a frill of feathers like this one has.

Copalinga is situated at 959mt, which ought to exclude the jewelfront? Don't know how prone they are to venturing into higher altitudes.

Interesting thoughts concerning brilliants. To clarify: Green-crowned does not occur at Copalinga, Black-throated, Violet-fronted and Fawn-breasted do. I will look into whether any of these match.

For 4, isn't tail too short for slaty antwren, and wouldn't we expect some indication of a darker throat patch?

KGS I can see how you get hummer 1 as violet-fronted brilliant, but what's the reasoning for 5?

I feel post ocular spot, bill and general structure fits Heliodoxa well and the plumage reminds me strongly of immature male Green-crowned Brilliant. Although I easily can’t find any description of this plumage for Violet-fronted Brilliant, I would expect it to be similar to the closely related and generally similar Green-crowned. You can also find some evidence of this if you google. Violet-fronted Brilliant was one of the common hummers at Copalinga when I visited last year.

Roger Ahlman, eBird reviewer for Ecuador says:

"1. This is an immature male Violet-fronted Brilliant. The rufous throat is typical for immature male Brilliants. The green on the breast excludes Fawn-breasted Brilliant and I see nothing that would suggest Black-throated.

2. This and 4 may be the same bird or at least the same species. It could be a White-streaked Antvireo as you suggest. But it could also be Slaty Antwren. I was also into Spot-winged Antbird. I can't tell for sure.

3. Male White-shouldered Tanager. Usually shows a more extensive white patch but it can vary. The odd tail-posture is just temporary as it is working around in the cecropia. The Glossy Flowerpiercer as suggested by someone and on their lodge list, is just one very odd record of a stray bird. It usually lives 2000 m higher up!

5. I am pretty sure this is a Fawn-breasteed Brilliant. The black throat is rosy but looks dark in most angles. The color on the side of the breast and the little that can be seen on the breast suggest this species."

Thank you Roger! what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back