• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fun Bird, E of San Diego CA (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
Fun because I have no idea.

Taken last weekend east of San Diego, elevation 4000 ft

Attachments

• JV8A1984 xx.jpg
    JV8A1984 xx.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 123
I will follow up with this, but I think I have a color aberration
taking place. Being red/green colorblind, I see a blue bird.
I hypothesize that I maybe seeing more of a blue color extreme
then normal sighted people see. Thanks for your help. I have
never seen blue on a pewee, this is a "normal" one to me.

Attachments

• 01 DSC_0154_20110521_072614 WEWP.jpg
    01 DSC_0154_20110521_072614 WEWP.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 14
The photo at the top of this thread has a blue cast in its shadows. It's the sort of thing a photo editor might or might not try to correct. It's subtle and shows the natural effects of lighting as much as it shows the effects of the camera equipment. Most people probably wouldn't notice, unless you put your two photos side by side. I think your colorblindness is, in effect, amplifying the blue for you.

The photo at the top of this thread has a blue cast in its shadows. It's the sort of thing a photo editor might or might not try to correct. It's subtle and shows the natural effects of lighting as much as it shows the effects of the camera equipment. Most people probably wouldn't notice, unless you put your two photos side by side. I think your colorblindness is, in effect, amplifying the blue for you.

Exactly what I was thinking. Greens/reds (brown) is not vibrant for me, thus
the color that I do see (blue and yellow are normal) is amplified. What I have also learned is that the Western Wood-Pewee has feathers that change color based on light conditions. On the same day/location I caught this one that looks black to me (unlike either bird in this thread). Actually I was hoping for an unusual bird (close the Mexican border) but did get a very interesting observation on my view of the world. Thanks to all, fun hobby.

Attachments

• 02 JV8A2207 xx.jpg
    02 JV8A2207 xx.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 7
It must be hard living with color blindness in the world of nature.

It just requires more work before I can count a bird. I cannot ID birds in the field unless there are obvious patterns or blue/yellow involved. Very very often I miss what other people see as obvious like a cardinal in the shade in a green tree. The reason colorblindness is still in the gene pool is pattern recognition. I was able to see a bull elk on the other side of a meadow while an experienced hunter could not.

Exactly what I was thinking. Greens/reds (brown) is not vibrant for me, thus
the color that I do see (blue and yellow are normal) is amplified. What I have also learned is that the Western Wood-Pewee has feathers that change color based on light conditions. On the same day/location I caught this one that looks black to me (unlike either bird in this thread). Actually I was hoping for an unusual bird (close the Mexican border) but did get a very interesting observation on my view of the world. Thanks to all, fun hobby.

Interesting. To my “normal” eyes, the colors look fine though a touch on the cold side, perhaps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back