• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10D will soon be history (1 Viewer)

Walther Loff

To my greatest disapointment, I just read on Dpreview, that the Canon 10D is having major returns to the service departments relating to severe Auto Focus failures.
The tread mentioned that Canon will discontinue this model.
cheers
Walther

From what I read the focus problem was only in early production,
all recent models have had no problems.
Suppose it would only be an issue if you bought second hand.

Pete.

peteee23 said:
From what I read the focus problem was only in early production,
all recent models have had no problems.
Suppose it would only be an issue if you bought second hand.

Pete.

Yep - according to the Canon spokesman on dpreview the rumour that they're discontinuing the 10D is just that .... a rumour. It seems to be based on the swift introduction of the 300D - but Canon say that the 10D will remain on their active catalogue into 2004.

helenh

Just a pity so few 10D's are getting into the U.K. at the moment. There are some issues with the AF, but most are o.k. (some people have been unlucky enough to have had a couple of bad 10D's) From what I've heard, the 300d (rebel?) isn't a 10D replacement.... I've heard an 8mp cmos based camera will eventually replace the 10D (20D?)

I went to a meeting of my camera club here in Iceland. 8 of us have 10D. 1 was complaining about lack of sharpness. We used 6 different lenses on 1 body and took pictures of the same thing with all lenses. All of the pictures where ok except 1 taken with a 28-105 which was fuzzier than the rest. That was the lens from the guy who had been complaining. Just to show that the 10D is not allways to blame.

There have been threads on the net about lack of focus of the 10D since the first cameras were shipped. There probably are a number of cameras with fault. But I think the bulk of the cameras are within tolerance.

We've got 2 10Ds and haven't had any problems at all - and they've been pretty severely tested since we bought them last May. There are always rogue cameras in any line - I well remember my first Canon T90 - the chip blew while I was on holiday after only 2 films had gone through it. The other T90s we owned lasted for years (and for all I know are still going strong!).

helenh

To continue what jakobs said, people who have had their cameras and lenses tested and fixed have consistantly it can be either the camera or the lens. And it isn't always bad at every focal length. And the same lens might be good on one camera and bad on another.

With the number of 10D's that Canon sells a month, the number with problems is quite small. But that vocal minority is sure catching people's ear.

ps. In the spirit of full disclosure, I own a 10D. :D

And the lesson for Walther is never ever believe everything you read in a forum. Had to laugh about the demise of the 10D rumour though. If anyone had stopped and thought it was obvious that it was an untruth.

And I agree with eric s about the 10D, good camera, small number with a problem, those who've had problems are so vocal as to seem like a lot more.

Neil
PS. Continuing the spirit of full disclosure, I've got a Nikon D100. :D

I haven' t had any trouble that I can't account for as "bad technique." The classic being when I saw my first bobolink. I locked focus and then (in the excitement of the moment) leaned forward a bit while waiting for the bird to turn his head. Now I have a very nicely posed, out of focus picture of a bobolink. :)

Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back