• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Bumblebees in Nest Box (1 Viewer)

Peugeot

I've got a Tree Bumblebee nest in my garden nestbox, (which I'm delighted about B :)), but when the bee nesting season ends, could anyone advise me, as to whether I should remove the old bees nest, or leave it, so that it can be used again next year?

For me,....leaving it, would be the best option, because I already have other nest boxes situated around the house and garden, and I would love to have the bees returning to the box annually. :t:

I'd leave it. We had Tree Bumblebees in one of our Swift boxes last year - this year Great Tits nested successfully in the same box, and now a pair of Swifts seem to be moving straight in (the same days the tits fledged). Similarly an old GS Woodpecker hole had Hornets in the following year then Great Tits the year after. There are also various species of invertebrates that breed in old bees nests, and species that eat the wax etc so the nest will decompose over time.

Chances are though that the bees will build a new nest elsewhere - they're not going to want the old one.

I turned up at my little owl nest box yesterday expecting to find the resident pair I'd last seen on Tuesday but instead was greated by the sight of the box covered in honey bees. The owner of the farm got the local beekeeper to come over. When we investigated, the box was stuffed full bees and two abandoned eggs. He took the colony away, and based on the amount of wax he found he suggested they'd been there a few days.

Tree Bumblebees.

I'd leave it. We had Tree Bumblebees in one of our Swift boxes last year - this year Great Tits nested successfully in the same box, and now a pair of Swifts seem to be moving straight in (the same days the tits fledged). Similarly an old GS Woodpecker hole had Hornets in the following year then Great Tits the year after. There are also various species of invertebrates that breed in old bees nests, and species that eat the wax etc so the nest will decompose over time.

Chances are though that the bees will build a new nest elsewhere - they're not going to want the old one.
Last year and the year before we had tree Bumblebees nest in our plastic garden waste composter I,d never really seen This species before the first time they arrived to nest thou this year they have Not returned back to nest, but the bee,s are around as I,m often releaseing Them out of the conservatory on sunny days.

The colony in the Nest Box is still going strong,.....and it's great entertainment, watching them,.... in fact, probably more entertaining than having birds nesting in the box.

They've been in residence since March, when I first saw a solitary bee entering the nest hole, (presumably the Queen), and there are now literally scores of them, buzzing around the box all day long.

The box itself, now has yellow smudgeing around the entrance hole, as well as on the front of the box itself, which I'm presuming is nectar.

They're no trouble at all, and it's great to see the garden full of bees for a change.

I've just discovered bees are clustering under my roof tiles. They aren't causing any trouble yet. Is it safe to leave them to do what they do or should I call in the experts to deal with them?

I've just discovered bees are clustering under my roof tiles. They aren't causing any trouble yet. Is it safe to leave them to do what they do or should I call in the experts to deal with them?
I've never had bees yet that have caused any trouble, leave them alone and they won't bother you, just enjoy them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back