• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

finding new birding sites in hertfordshire (1 Viewer)

endean8

:cool: hi everyone just joined. im a bird/nature watcher in hertfordshire, trying to find new sites or explore the underwatched sites if anyone has any info on them please let me know.

Welcome! Andy Bright a member of this forum is probably the guy to contact.
Hope you enjoy the group as much as I have.

CJ

Hi - welcome to the forum.

I'm usually in London, so your patch is near me. Have you been to Lee Valley Country Park and seen the Bittern watch point?

Welcome to Birdforum endean8 :t:

I'm sure that some of the members will be able to help you out with a few sites to visit and what has been seen in your area.

Hi,

I'm sure you know of the site, but i find www.fatbirder.com great site for finding reserves, etc. throughout the uk.
Click on the UK birding link then there are links to every county in the UK which I find useful.

You are lucky to be quite central, Norfolk, Suffolk Lincolnshire not very far away, as well as your local sites.

You are also luckyin living very near one of my favourite pubs in the world!!! The Lytton Arms in Knebworth!

If you are ever coming birding to Wales, let me know.

(I m off to Norfolk in the next couple of weeks - guaranteed a few lifers there i should hope!)

Hi Endean, nice to see another member in Herts....don't think we've got many on here.
My local 'patch' is the Munden estate near Garston, Watford....and is a mixture of arable farmland, mixed woodland and river. In recent years a large field has been allowed to flood, now a permanent 'lake' attracting a few waders and similar wildfowl.

Although I now spend much of my time in N. Herts (currently in Arlesey, Beds.) I'm not too familiar with the Stevenage area for birding.... shopping trips to Roaring Meg is as much as I manage.
Just explore with an o.s. map....that's the most pleasing way to find your own little area.
A good site for Herts birding info is the Herts Bird Club (link to it in the links section on here)...Fatbirder 'type' sites generally have the more popular birding spots, though the county links will point you to more localised info.
Regards,
Andy

Andy

Are you up for a day's birding sometime on your local patch? I can easily get north of London by train from Euston, and maybe some others can. Just an unofficial trip to look at someone else's area. What do you think?

Hi Pete, yes that sounds good.....hope you're not expecting Glossy Ibis or similar ;)
My little 'patch' starts about 200 yards from the Garston stop on the little Watford junction to St.Albans line.
I'm away from Saturday on a weeks holiday to North Norfolk..... tempting to say 'birding holiday' but my girlfriend reads this! Perhaps we can arrange something for when I return?
Regards,
Andy

Excellent. Perhaps you could email me when you're back and we can fix something up.

You ARE doing birdwatching while you're in Norfolk, aren't you?

Hi Pete, will do...when I get back.

"You ARE doing birdwatching while you're in Norfolk, aren't you?"
I know it sounds bizarre for a birder to go to N. Norfolk in January without birding being the priority but I'm in the odd position of having a girlfriend who thinks Sheringham is the greatest holiday destination at any time of the year.....the drawback is that she's not keen on birding nor me going off birding whilst we're on holiday :'D

Andy

Andy

You mentioned your girlfriend had qualities other than a fanaticism for birdwatching (presumably sanity is one of them), but just will you two get up to? A whole week in Sheringham and virtually nothing to do I just can't think!

Peter

ps are you banned from even taking binnies and scope?

As with many birders.....my binos have become part of my anatomy, I feel as if a limb is missing if they're not with me. Scope and camera are almost the same these days unless I want to see something exotic, in which case I leave them at home....this invariably provokes all sorts of birds to pose within 50ft of me!
Hopefully I can sneek all these into the boot.
I will be allowed to peer longingly through the window of Cley Spy's new shop in Sheringham ;)
Andy

What shop is that? I've not heard of it.

Incidentally Andy, I hope you won't mind me asking your advice pretty soon, as I want to buy a Swarovski scope in the New Year - unless you tell me I should getting another make.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back