• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sanderlings? - Sutherland (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
Just when I thought I was beginning to understand one or two of the sandpipers, I came across these earlier today on Brora beach. I thought the sanderlings had gone, but these were behaving just like them, running up and down the beach with the surf. They've also changed colour! Are these juveniles or non breeding adults or something? Isn't it a bit late in the year for sanderlings to still be here?

Attachments

• sanderlings-D-A.jpg
    sanderlings-D-A.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 122
Yes, Sanderling George, a mixture of adults going into winter plumage, and juveniles.
Don't take this the wrong way, but which Field Guide do you use to help identify birds? The Collins Field Guide has some beautiful plates of waders by Killian Mullarney which are really helpful.

I've been using Mr Google recently, but he's not very accurate. Books seem to eat away long hours with less than satisfactory results, so I'm planning on trying software next. Problem is all the software seems to be apps for phones. I don't use a mobile phone and I can't seem to find any decent windows 10 bird ID software. That's why I come here to annoy you lot.

Last edited:
I've been using Mr Google recently, but he's not very accurate. Books seem to eat away long hours with less than satisfactory results, so I'm planning on trying software next. Problem is all the software seems to be apps for phones. I don't use a mobile phone and I can't seem to find any decent windows 10 bird ID software. That's why I come here to annoy you lot.

That just made me laugh....Mr Google..'He's not very good'

I use Google....and you're right at times 'HE'S NOT VERY GOOD.... Google identifies it for me, I post it and then experts on here tell me it's something else. I feel such a ........!

Agree all Sanderling, but all adults in post-breeding moult; it's still a bit too early for the juveniles to be arriving here yet. The more rufous birds are likely males, the greyer birds likely females.

Why thanks Pauls, I'm still working on it. I've been working on it off and on all day, but I'm almost there. The problem was the white feathers were burned out by the sun. I'll post the finished image when it's ready.

Last edited:
The fixed and finished image. I wouldn't usually invest so much time into one photo, but I'm not likely to get another shot like this of sanderlings so a day well spent I think.

Attachments

• rawedited.jpg
    rawedited.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 49
The fixed and finished image. I wouldn't usually invest so much time into one photo, but I'm not likely to get another shot like this of sanderlings so a day well spent I think.
Yes a nice photo of so many birds, Sanderlings are the only waders I,ve had following the edge of the tide at titchwell and slowly getting within feet of me on the sand I was giveing them lumps of my sandwich at one time which they made short work of this was in springtime in may back in the 90,s I had some nice views of them through my spotting scope If they stayed still enough which in those circumstances they hardly ever do you,d get a lovely close up of one some of these birds were in full breeding plumage the turnstones of a few I saw were not as bold as the Sanderlings and always flew by but In the right circumstances they,ll come to your feet I once read on a post here.

The sanderlings will eat bread? Had no idea. I've seen turnstones up here, but only once and that was in winter on a remote coast. I guess I'll have to wrap up warm this winter and get out along the coasts again.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back