• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Raptor Watchpoint (1 Viewer)

burhinus

New this year anyway!

Great Ryburgh, Norfolk. Good views of Honey Buzzard, Common Buzzard, Hobby, Sparrowhawk, Goshawk, and more.

Has anyone been ? any comments?

burhinus

Last edited:
Re New Raptor Watchpoint

Seems I must be the only person to have visited this one. Has anyone else got a raptor watchpoint closeby. What have you seen?

burhinus

Hi Alan

Sounds very good for a garden. I envy you. I do get regular Sparrowhawk in my garden. Have had Common Buzzard and Marsh Harrier over but not often.

I think we should be having a forum for garden birds soon. Seems like you should have some good postings for it.

Cheers burhinus

burhinus,
Yes, I have been there this year and I found it to be very good. Plenty of raptors around including Honey Buzzard although I had to wait maybe an hour for this species.
The initial difficulty I had was finding the place. I discovered that the locals have no sense of distance. 'Just around the corner' means, 'go around the corner and continue for 3 miles!!'. I also asked directions from a very sweet, little old lady who was tending her cottage garden in the middle of nowhere. Her directions turned out to be spot on but at the time, I couldn't understand a word that she said because she had an amazingly strong Norfolk accent!!

Colin

Are there any formal raptor watchpoints in the UK where people count the birds passing? The Americans seem to be big on this and I think there are also such sites in Europe. Perhaps we don't get enough of a migration to make it worthwhile?

Hi Starain,

Because of Britain's mild winters, most of our raptors are resident as they don't need to migrate. The only migratory species are fairly scarce: Osprey, Honey-buzzard, Montagu's Harrier and Hobby (summer visitors) and Rough-legged Buzzard (winter). These five also happen to be species which tend to migrate on a broad front, not concentrating at particular points. The final problem is that large raptors don't like to cross water: the North Sea is too wide for raptors to cross comfortably, so by and large, they don't.

There are some far better raptor migration points further east in Europe, where the continental climate means winters are much colder, forcing birds to migrate more. The famous ones are:
Falsterbo, at the southwest tip of Sweden
The Bosporus at Istanbul, on the crossing from Europe to Asia between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean
Southern Israel, the crossing from SW Asia to Africa

Michael

We went to Gt Ryburgh a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, as we were on our way somewhere, we only had about an hour there. But in that time we had excellent views of 3 honey buzzard including the male doing his wing clapping display.

Definitely worth a visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back