• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mt. Chocorua, New Hampshire, US (1 Viewer)

mae12

Hello all, unfortunately do not have a photo, have been trying to ID this bird online myself with no success. Hiking Mt Chocorua on August 20th, few days ago.

Half mile from summit spotted a black bird with white underside strutting in the underbrush of nearby trees, just off-trail. Shape similar to mourning dove? Dark eyes with fairly large, vibrant red rings around them. The red ring around the eyes were very attention grabbing.

Apologies for no photo. Thanks for any help.

I agree with nartreb. A quick check of eBird showed that Mt. Chocorua has had Spruce Grouse reported as recently as late July.

A very nice bird, and welcome to BirdForum mae12!

Yeah, it's a pretty good sighting. Chocorua is near the edge of their range for both latitude and elevation. They're usually a little further north, and/or a little higher up, where there's more spruce/fir, and not all that commonly seen in any event.

They can be extremely stealthy sometimes, but sometimes they'll come sit on your feet, and sometimes they'll violently defend their nesting area against any and all intruders - hikers, dogs, you name it.

Thanks much to you both! That looks to be correct, although he was in deep shade and the grays appeared much darker in coloring to our eyes. We were fairly close, within 15 feet I would say and he did not seem bothered in the slightest, among some spruce trees. Thanks for your assistance, I'm glad I've decided to join!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back