• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (4 Viewers)

IOC has 6 months updates:
To keep up with the current industry of taxonomic revisions, the IOC editorial team and advisors update the web-based list each January and June/July.

Based on what I've seen in the past, non-English new names are always one version behind.

Hadn't heard about Limestone Wren Babbler. Is their hyphen right under new agreement / rules?

Nov 28 Post proposed split of Lesser Short-toed Lark with tentative English names.
Nov 28 Reject proposed splits of Donaldson-Smith's Turaco from White-cheeked Turaco, (Western) Black-billed Turaco from (Eastern) Black-billed Turaco and Reichenow's Turaco from Livingstone's Turaco.
Nov 28 Post proposed split of Limestone Wren-Babbler with tentative English names
Nov 27 Change English name of McCown's Longspur to Thick-billed Longspur.
Nov 5 Post proposed split of Caatinga Antshrike Thamnophilus capistratus from Barred Antshrike.

Hadn't heard about Limestone Wren Babbler. Is their hyphen right under new agreement / rules?
Unless there have been rules changes in the last couple of months, those proposed names are perfectly acceptable. You generally only add hyphens if you're combining types of birds in a name.

Rufous Limestone Babbler or Greyish-bellied Limestone Babbler is as accurate as Plain Mountain Finch or Red-crowed Ant Tanager.

The only exceptions to that rule that I can think of off the top of my head are Stone-curlews/Thick-knees and Painted-snipe. But those names have a far longer lineage.

Dec 4 Accept proposed split of Sumatran Blue Robin from Javan Blue (Sunda) Robin

Dec 4 Accept proposed splits of Arabian Eagle-Owl, Bonin Greenfinch and Taiwan Bullfinch.

Dec 4 Reject proposed splits of Common Pheasant and Olive Woodpecker.

Dec 4 Revise sequence and genera of Musophagidae.

People fretting about the status of Common Pheasant on their various lists can breathe a sigh of relief for now ;)

People fretting about the status of Common Pheasant on their various lists can breathe a sigh of relief for now ;)
That's a shame - I was looking forward to the whole pheasant-shooting industry being rendered even more worthless to the birding community by making them all untickable hybrids 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back