• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

emmae in Leptocoma sperata emmae (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

OD tells us here:

Named in honor of Mme E. Jabouille.

We can find in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds that it is a dedication to Emma Jabouille the wife of Pierre Charles Edmond Jabouille. What I know is that his mother was named Emma Jenny née Lejeune http://www.archinoe.net/v2/ad17/visualiseur/registre.html?id=170031875 p. 76 of 331. I think we can find this as well in...

Jean Théodore Delacour: Pierre Jabouille 1875–1947. In: L'Oiseau et la revue française d'ornithologie. vol 17, 1947, pp XIX–XXIII

...if I remember correctly. about his parents we can find:

Louis - Arthur Jabouille s ' était marié à Saintes , le 16 septembre 1873 , avec Emma - Jenny Lejeune , fille de Charles - Emile Lejeune , chef de l ' exploitation du chemin de fer des Charentes , devenu , à une date postérieure , directeur du du groupe régional de l'Eure de Champagnie des chemins de fer de l'Ouest....

Not sure what the future BOW key (not mentioned in Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names) will tells us to whom the name was dedicated.

I personally have no clue if Jabouille was even married (but possible) (maybe http://archives.paris.fr/arkotheque...em_rotate=F&uielem_islocked=0&uielem_zoom=182 p. 7 of 20?. Maybe someone here have more information?

Regarding his mother here at their marriage http://www.archinoe.net/v2/ad17/visualiseur/registre.html?id=170031872 b. 26. September 1855 in Paris. No idea about her death. His father 24. October 1842 Charente (Ruffec) But in Leonore he is born 23. October.

Last edited:
Regarding his mother here at their marriage http://www.archinoe.net/v2/ad17/visualiseur/registre.html?id=170031872 b. 26. September 1855 in Paris. No idea about her death. His father ...
Martin, you sure didn't make it easy for anyone else to find, and see, that Marriage record ;)

However, after at lot of flipping back and forth I found it; here (same link, see view/opening; 39/221, No. 71), or attached excerpt.

What it say? I haven't got a clue (it's all in French).

/B
-

Attachments

• Mariage, L. A. Jabouille + E. J. Lejeune.jpg
    Mariage, L. A. Jabouille + E. J. Lejeune.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 16
Bjorn's link and photo show a marriage record dated 15 september 1873, Louis Arthur Jabouille with Emma Jenny Lejeune, in the town of Saintes, which at the time was in the Departement of Charente-Inferieure.

The groom was thirty years old, the bride seventeen. (Born 24 october 1842 in Ruffec (Charente) and 26 September 1855 in Paris, respectively, if I'm reading the handwriting correctly -- they provided their birth certificates when they got married.) The groom is a Substitute-[Prosecutor? hard to read] of the Republic ; the bride is "without profession."

These are without doubt the same people identified as Pierre's parents by Taphrospilus above; all details match exactly, except the day of the marriage (Bjorn's link most definitely says "quinze", not "seize" - at 5:00 in the evening, in fact, which is a little bit odd, especially since it was a Monday.)

Most likely the Eponym Dictionary wrongly assumed which "Madame Jabouille" the bird was named for; it's unlikely (though not disproven) that Pierre also married a woman named Emma.

Last edited:
Anyone who have access to Jabouille's (French) Obituary? Written by his dear old friend:

Jean (Théodore) Delacour. 1947. Pierre Jabouille 1875–1947. L'Oiseau (et la Revue Française d'Ornithologie) 17: pp. XIX–XXIII.
[As of here, but only as Google snippet views]

It's far longer (and hopefully far richer in detail) than its English/US dittos:
Willoughby P. Lowe & Jean Delacour. 1948. Obituries:... Pierre Jabouille. The Ibis 90 (1), pp. 148–149 (here)
Jean Delacour. 1948. Obituary: Pierre Jabouille. The Auk 66 (1): p. 112 (here, thus not on p. 1112, as it says on the German Wiki page)

Maybe Delacour tells us anything (in the French Obituary) that could lead us to the mysterious Emma? Surely, in an Obituary of about five pages long, there ought to be something, some mentioning of a wife (if he ever had one, of course)?

Either way; Delacour ought to have known who she was, as he and Jabouille knew each other better than most (from the early 1920's, until "just before the end").

/B

Mme Jabouille's sunbird ssp. (... in need of French)

If we return to, and take a closer look at; Pierre Jabouille's Death Record (second last link in Martin's post #1, or attached excerpt) ...

Doesn't the word "Célibataire" ... indicate that Monsieur Jabouille was celibate, living in celibacy, a least (in 1947) at the time of his passing (meaning that he was unmarried, or in modern words; a single/bachelor) ... ?!?

I assume the "époux décédes" ('deceased spouse') part refers to his Mother. Or?

If not; wouldn't Jabouille himself have been a veuf (or similar), in the/this/his Death Record, as in widower (a man who has lost his spouse/wife by death, and not "Célibataire")?

/B

Attachments

• Jabouille, Death Record.jpg
    Jabouille, Death Record.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
For the sake of more completeness:

archives.paris.fr/arkotheque/visionneuse/visionneuse.php?arko=YTo2OntzOjQ6ImRhdGUiO3M6MTA6IjIwMjAtMDgtMDEiO3M6MTA6InR5cGVfZm9uZHMiO3M6MTE6ImFya29fc2VyaWVsIjtzOjQ6InJlZjEiO2k6NztzOjQ6InJlZjIiO2k6NDA0ODtzOjE2OiJ2aXNpb25uZXVzZV9odG1sIjtiOjE7czoyMToidmlzaW9ubmV1c2VfaHRtbF9tb2RlIjtzOjQ6InByb2QiO30=#uielem_move=-1186%2C-277&uielem_islocked=0&uielem_zoom=201&uielem_brightness=0&uielem_contrast=0&uielem_isinverted=0&uielem_rotate=F I think his father died 25th Febriuary 1887 p. 2 of 21 or full archives.paris.fr/arkotheque/visionneuse/visionneuse.php?arko=YTo2OntzOjQ6ImRhdGUiO3M6MTA6IjIwMjAtMDgtMDEiO3M6MTA6InR5cGVfZm9uZHMiO3M6MTE6ImFya29fc2VyaWVsIjtzOjQ6InJlZjEiO2k6NDtzOjQ6InJlZjIiO2k6MjMxNzI0O3M6MTY6InZpc2lvbm5ldXNlX2h0bWwiO2I6MTtzOjIxOiJ2aXNpb25uZXVzZV9odG1sX21vZGUiO3M6NDoicHJvZCI7fQ==#uielem_move=-1532%2C-55&uielem_islocked=0&uielem_zoom=185&uielem_brightness=0&uielem_contrast=0&uielem_isinverted=0&uielem_rotate=F p. 16 of 31 (no clue if a bird bears his name).

Pierre Charles Edmond Jabouille was honored in Jabouilleia, Gallus gallus jabouillei and Lalage polioptera jabouillei.

Yes, I did that, but the link in post #7 only took me to a "1883-1892 , Décès , 08", where I only found a book/opening of 16/21, from Lanny, and onwards ... !?

I simply didn't understand who you were searching for, aiming at?

The new link (first one) worked better! "1887 , Décès , 08" (16/31) made better sense (i.e. his Father's Death record).

Björn
--

Last edited:
If we return to, and take a closer look at; Pierre Jabouille's Death Record (second last link in Martin's post #1, or attached excerpt) ...

Doesn't the word "Célibstaire" ... indicate that Monsieur Jabouille was celibate, living in celibacy, a least (in 1947) at the time of his passing (meaning that he was unmarried, or in modern words; a single/bachelor) ... ?!?

I assume the "époux décédes" ('deceased spouse') part refers to his Mother. Or?

If not; wouldn't Jabouille himself have been a veuf (or similar), in the/this/his Death Record, as in widower (a man who has lost his spouse/wife by death, and not "Célibstaire")?

/B

The "deceased spouses" means Arthur and Emma, i.e. Pierre's parents. That's unambiguous. "Epoux decedes" is the masculine plural, so it means at least two people, at least one of whom is male. If it were intending to say that Pierre was a widower, then in addition to requiring a new sentence, it would use the feminine form "epouse" (or the feminine plural "epouses") to refer to his deceased wife/wives.

And yes, "celibataire" means unmarried. In normal usage it means "never married" - you'd say "widower" ("veuf") or "divorced" if you meant "no longer married". Indeed this record book shows a "veuf" as the first and last entries on page 122, and a "divorcee" also on that page. So I'm satisfied Pierre was never married.

Last edited:
We're getting close to an End (I think) ...

Thanks "nartreb" that's what I thought (and hoped for), thereby ... :t:

emmae as in:
• in the hard-to-place Sunbird ssp. Nectarinia/Leptocoma sperata/brasiliana emmae DELACOUR & JABOILLE 1928 (OD in post #1, first link), as "Leptocoma braziliana [sic] emmæ", dedicated ("in honour of Mme E. Jabouille") by Dealacour, (on behalf of P. Jabouille)

... which most likely was aimed at Jabouille's dear Mother Emma Jabouille (1855?), née Lejeune, whose full name (when "her" Sunbird was described) seems to have/had been Emma Jenny Jabouille, ... wife (post-1873) of Louis Arthur Jabouille (1842–1887), Mother of the Author (Auctor) Pierre Charles Édmond Jabouille* (1875–1947).

[... as well as the other siblings mentioned/listed in the foot-note (also found by Martin) here. incl. his (youngest) Brother Paul Louis Édmond Jabouille (born 1884), whose wife, in his/her turn, was; Simone Gabrielle née Lasalle.]

Doesn't the (French) text, in that foot-note, say that Emma died the ("8 août"/8 august) in 1895, or?

Anyone think otherwise?

To me (just like Martin suggested/hinted at, in post #1, and as "nartreb" assumed in post #4, and concluded in post #11), it does look like the The Eponym Dictionary of Birds (2014) once again (sigh!) simply read in (far) too much from the ODs very short dedication: "N.B.—Named in honour of Mme E. Jabouille."

[N.B. = (Latin) Nota Bene/nota bene , meaning; "note well", or "take notice of" alt. "pay special attention to"]

Björn

PS. Note; without yet having read (nor seen) Delacour's (French) Obituary I wouldn't dare to claim that it truly was aimed at his Mother. It could be, or not. It certainly seems to be. We'll see ...

Last edited:
The "deceased 8 August 1895" refers to Emma's father, or perhaps to Louis-Arthur Jouillet -- it's a very long and confusing sentence-- but it's in the masculine form so it' can't be referring to Emma.

Ok, one small backstep (tiny correction/modification), so how about:

emmae as in:
• in the hard-to-place Sunbird ssp. Nectarinia/Leptocoma sperata/brasiliana emmae DELACOUR & JABOILLE 1928 (OD in post #1, first link), as "Leptocoma braziliana [sic] emmæ", dedicated ("in honour of Mme E. Jabouille") by Dealacour, (on behalf of P. Jabouille)

... which most likely was aimed at Jabouille's dear Mother Emma Jabouille (born 1855), née Lejeune, whose full name (when "her" Sunbird was described) seems to have/had been Emma Jenny Jabouille, ... wife (post-1873) of Louis Arthur Jabouille (1842–1887), Mother of the Author (Auctor) Pierre Charles Édmond Jabouille (1875–1947), ... and onwards (as in earlier posts).

Better?

I guess (and hope) that the Obituary, of "Pierre Jabouille 1875–1947", published in L'Oiseau (et la Revue Française d'Ornithologie) 17 (1947): pp. XIX–XXIII, can erase any last remaining uncertainty/hesitation/doubts.

We'll see (if anyone can find it?) ...

/B
---

Last edited:
I would speculate she was still alive in 1927 (date of the OD) and/or just died around that time? Nothing more in the obituary.

Last edited:
I would speculate she was still alive in 1927 (date of the OD) and/or just died around that time? Nothing more in the obituary.
Maybe somewhat picky/pernickety, yes; but the "date of the OD" was 1928 (see page 125); "... collected in Indo-China during their fourth expedition in 1927-1928 :— ... ", published in BBOC No. CCCXXV, from a "Meeting of the Club ... on Wednesday, June 13, 1928 (p.121). ;)

/B

PS. The Type itself, a Male of "Leptocoma braziliana emmæ", was collected on the" Island of Phu-Quoc" on "30.XII.27" (see Hennache & Dickinson, 2000: here, p.618, or the OD itself). A bird collected the day before New Year's Eve makes it pretty hard to describe it, and have it published, the same year, doesn't it?
--

Last edited:
Just to stop anyone from unwarranted work ...

Martin ('Taphrospilus') have kindly sent me the demanded: "NECROLOGIE; PIERRE JABOUILLE 1875 - 1947" (from/in Bulletin de la Société Ornithologique de France), but ... as I don't know French, I simply can't understand much of it (close to nothing) ... |:S|

I wonder if someone else feel like having a look at it?

If so, send me an e-mail-address (in BirdForum's Private Meassage system), and I will forward it.

[Due to copyright rules I cannot post it here]

/B

PS. Martin, I hope this is ok by you?

The jovial and open Jabouille

The same word "célibataire" is also found on the very first page of this text (see attached excerpt), but I´m not sure of the context.
Jovial et ouvert, Jabouille ne me cacha pas sa satisfaction de me voir jeune et célibataire. Une rumeur maligne lui avait fait craindre l’arrivée d’un vieux professeur solonnel accompagné de sa famille . . .
Google Translate: Jovial and open, Jabouille did not hide from me his satisfaction at seeing me young and single. A malicious rumor had made him fear the arrival of an old solitary professor accompanied by his family. . .

Maybe there's a very simple reason of why Jabouille didn't have a (or any) wife? That is, if this Google Translation is somewhat accurate of course. Jovial and open, as in simply; gay (in it's contemporary, or modern, meaning) ... ?

Could be, or not.

/B
--

Attachments

• Necrologie ... Jabouille.jpg
    Necrologie ... Jabouille.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Google translate got it right, except you put a period where the text had a comma, after the third word.

I think you're stretching quite a bit on translating "jovial and open" to "gay". There are a number of 19th-C expressions that hint at homosexuality while maintaining deniability ("gai" would be one), but I've never seen "jovial" used that way.

You might be right about the reason he didn't marry, but all this passage tells us is that he liked being single.

Google translate got it right, except you put a period where the text had a comma, after the third word.
You also wrote 'solennel' (= solemn, pompous) 'solonnel', which google did not understand and, for some reason, chose to render as 'solitary'.
I think you're stretching quite a bit on translating "jovial and open" to "gay". There are a number of 19th-C expressions that hint at homosexuality while maintaining deniability ("gai" would be one), but I've never seen "jovial" used that way.
I would understand 'gai', applied to a person in a standard context, as meaning happy and unworried. If the context allows it, it can hint at sexual freedom (as in 'le gai Paris'), but not necessarily homosexuality. The word started being associated to homosexuality after it had entered English.
The main image that 'jovial et ouvert' brings to my mind is a smiling face.
You might be right about the reason he didn't marry, but all this passage tells us is that he liked being single.
I'd understand it as suggesting he prefered field expeditions with a young and single companion.
(I certainly know birders who never married without being gays, and who prefer birding trips with people who do not bring a non-birding family with them. Don't you? ;))

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back