• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Domestic chicken or something else in S Thailand? (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, i took these photos today of a single "hen" feeding on the far side of the field amongst brushes behind my house near the Hat Yai airport. I think the multicoloured back suggests domestics but it was alone and I thought I would double check just in case:) There are not usually domestic chickens in the field but always a first time.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_d77.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_d77.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 28
  • fullsizeoutput_d78.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_d78.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 56
  • fullsizeoutput_d79.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_d79.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 21
  • fullsizeoutput_d7a.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_d7a.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 18
Not a hen - this is an immature male.

Wild Red Junglefowl are indistinguishable from related domestic breeds. They've got multi-colored backs and so on.

The bird in your photos has almost no crest, a fairly small tail, and almost no neck ruff, but it does have hints of all of those plus some fancy colors on the back. That tells me it's an immature male. Here's another one: http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=53&Bird_Image_ID=79887

I'd guess it's wild based on what you've mentioned about the location, but there's no way to be sure it's not feral or domestic. The colors on its back don't help us decide.

Thanks and thanks for the link to the photo, it is much better than the pic in Robson's great book. It is a suburban area but there are lots of people with cows and i suspect chickens. I will assume feral.
much appreciated
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back