• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatch Magazine on Hunting (1 Viewer)

TWM

September 2020 issue of Birdwatch (P38-41) has a most depressing article on the excesses of the shooting industry and 'Hunting Holidays'
The numbers are quite appalling, they make Malta look positively idyllic for migrating birds!!!
It is clear that the hunters won't be happy until they have exterminated everything that they can kill!!
I find it hard to get my head round the people that get pleasure from shooting as many birds as they can and leaving them to rot!!
Sadly there seems to bit little hope of any improvement in the situation.
What a sad World we live in.

I read it the other day- totally depressing reading. I certainly didn't realise quite the extent of it-totally appalling!

Totally agree. The magazine has been pretty hot on raptor persecution and hunting and should be commended for this. I don’t know what the answer is - I sign petitions as much as I can and use Twitter to keep such issues in the public eye. Although you are often in somewhat of an echo chamber I would like to see more birders doing similar. If you get something out of a hobby such as birding this seems a good way to put something back. There should be no place for recreational hunting in modern society.

Brands such as Nikon who persist in openly sponsoring such activity should be boycotted too. Still surprised by the number of photographers who are oblivious to the ethical issues here.

September 2020 issue of Birdwatch (P38-41) has a most depressing article on the excesses of the shooting industry and 'Hunting Holidays'
The numbers are quite appalling, they make Malta look positively idyllic for migrating birds!!!
It is clear that the hunters won't be happy until they have exterminated everything that they can kill!!
I find it hard to get my head round the people that get pleasure from shooting as many birds as they can and leaving them to rot!!
Sadly there seems to bit little hope of any improvement in the situation.
What a sad World we live in.

and now the French have allowed the hunting of Turtle Doves again!
They have set a limit of 17,460 but as nobody monitors it then almost 100,000 are likely to be shot!!

Brands such as Nikon who persist in openly sponsoring such activity should be boycotted too. Still surprised by the number of photographers who are oblivious to the ethical issues here.

As far as I know they have abandoned the rifle scope business. Their sports optics line is now limited to binoculars and scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back