• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The advantage of 8x42 binoculars in front of 10x, 12x, 15x ... binoculars (1 Viewer)

bockos

Why would anyone choose binoculars with 8x magnification over 10x and 12x ...? What are the advantages of 8x 42 over 10x and 12x? Thanks for any comment. Why would one choose 8x42 over 10x .. What is your experience with binoculars in the past? I remember that one of my first binoculars were Pentax 18x56 and the Russian 20x60, and I thought I would see more with 18x .. and 20x..but by hand they were not good ... then I took Nikon SE 12x50. ... Swarovski SLC15c56 .... but by hand it's not good .... then I took Swarovski 10x50fieldpro .... it was the best I've seen ... But soon at the end of August I compared it to 8x42NL and 10x42NL ... and I definitely liked 8x42NL the most ... this lightness and relaxation of viewing..width and output beam 5.25 ... for me 8x42NL is a pleasure ... I wonder why I didn't look for 8x42 binoculars at the beginning .. .and I went at 6pm ... and 8pm ... I was stupid ..I had no experience ... I'm talking about binoculars held by hand and carried with me ..

Why would anyone choose binoculars with 8x magnification over 10x and 12x ...? What are the advantages of 8x 42 over 10x and 12x? Thanks for any comment. Why would one choose 8x42 over 10x .. What is your experience with binoculars in the past? I remember that one of my first binoculars were Pentax 18x56 and the Russian 20x60, and I thought I would see more with 18x .. and 20x..but by hand they were not good ... then I took Nikon SE 12x50. ... Swarovski SLC15c56 .... but by hand it's not good .... then I took Swarovski 10x50fieldpro .... it was the best I've seen ... But soon at the end of August I compared it to 8x42NL and 10x42NL ... and I definitely liked 8x42NL the most ... this lightness and relaxation of viewing..width and output beam 5.25 ... for me 8x42NL is a pleasure ... I wonder why I didn't look for 8x42 binoculars at the beginning .. .and I went at 6pm ... and 8pm ... I was stupid ..I had no experience ... I'm talking about binoculars held by hand and carried with me ..
I wonder why I didn't start all over again. with 8x42 ..and I thought that with 18x and 20x I would see more. I'm talking about binoculars held by hand and carried with me. I was stupid and had no experience.

8x42 have a lot of advantages over 10x, 12x and 15x. They are easier to hold steady, they have a greater DOF, they have a bigger FOV, they are brighter, and they have easier eye placement due to the bigger exit pupil. The only advantage of 10x, 12x or 15x is you can see more detail IF you can hold them steady enough to see it. A lot of the advantage of the higher magnification in seeing detail is negated by the fact that you will notice shaking and vibration more unless you have IS or the binocular is mounted on a tripod. In my experience 8x is about the limit for hand holding and even 8x can benefit from IS or a tripod with probably at least a 20% increase in resolution. 8x42 is my favorite format handheld. For 10x or higher I want IS or a tripod, but we all are different in how steady we can hold the binoculars above 8x. Some people can but most can't.

Last edited:
Hi bockos,

When first considering the vast variety of possible binocular choices, most of us here on the forum would have started out in a similar state of confusion
As a general starting point, both in relation to magnification and some other consideration, see what I posted at: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3981985&postcount=21

Once you’ve got some idea of what magnification/ objective combinations are likely to be of most interest to you, you can then start narrowing down on what makes and models you’re interested in
Depending on where you live, being able to visit several well stocked binocular retailers and trying various models, can be most helpful in deciding what features you do and don't like

John

8x42 have a lot of advantages over 10x, 12x and 15x. They are easier to hold steady, they have a greater DOF, they have a bigger FOV, they are brighter, and they have easier eye placement due to the bigger exit pupil. The only advantage of 10x, 12x or 15x is you can see more detail IF you can hold them steady enough to see it. A lot of the advantage of the higher magnification in seeing detail is negated by the fact that you will notice shaking and vibration more unless you have IS or the binocular is mounted on a tripod. In my experience 8x is about the limit for hand holding and even 8x can benefit from IS or a tripod with probably at least a 20% increase in resolution. 8x42 is my favorite format handheld. For 10x or higher I want IS or a tripod, but we all are different in how steady we can hold the binoculars above 8x. Some people can but most can't.

Bockos asked a straightforward, realistic, and honorable question for a newbie. BUT, there are many non-newbies asking similar questions.

As long as people see a binocular of any aperture providing any magnification, with no reference to brightness, resolution, aberrations, collimation, field of view, or image stability, those folks will wonder why the Hale Telescope has to be ... so big, and we will continue to see dozens and dozens of ads on Eagle Bait for ...

280x50, “day/night,” plastic-based, auto-focusing, “military/ZOOM,” “night-vision” binoculars ... with ruby coatings.

P.T. Barnum did not say there’s a sucker born every minute. But somebody did. And judging by the number of fraudulent/claptrap ads we see ... some unscrupulous people are making a fortune off the ill-informed and humbly trusting. But, that’s really all right, I guess; after all, experience is the best teacher.

I wish I had a small fortune in the bank. If so, those ads would be short-lived, a few of those liars would be in prison—even in THEIR country—and Eagle Bait would get a threatening letter from the U.S. Attorney General. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Few people can use high-power binoculars like the SLC 15x56 without a tripod. My experience is that 12x is the max power I can use without a tripod and still see more details than with 10x or 8x. I own the Swaro SV 10x50 and 12x50 and love them. I compared the SV 10x50 and the NL 10x42 and found the SV to be significantly better (for me). I was surprised to read that many have sold their SVs 10x50 and replaced them with the NLs, everybody is different. I will receive an NL 8x42 in a couple of days and I will be able to see for myself if they are as good as you (and others) said they are.

Last edited:

Thank you for the quick comment. I will have to try a Canon 10x42L IS binoculars one day. Just try it. But really 8x42 is a remarkable binoculars for me. especially Swarovski NL Pure 8x42 ... which I tried for only 3-4 hours..and I really liked them on a sunny day. Also 10x42NL. Is close.

Bockos asked a straightforward, realistic, and honorable question for a newbie. BUT, there are many non-newbies asking similar questions.

As long as people see a binocular of any aperture providing any magnification, with no reference to brightness, resolution, aberrations, collimation, field of view, or image stability, those folks will wonder why the Hale Telescope has to be ... so big, and we will continue to see dozens and dozens of ads on Eagle Bait for ...

280x50, “day/night,” plastic-based, auto-focusing, “military/ZOOM,” “night-vision” binoculars ... with ruby coatings.

P.T. Barnum did not say there’s a sucker born every minute. But somebody did. And judging by the number of fraudulent/claptrap ads we see ... some unscrupulous people are making a fortune off the ill-informed and humbly trusting. But, that’s really all right, I guess; after all, experience is the best teacher.

I wish I had a small fortune in the bank. If so, those ads would be short-lived, a few of those liars would be in prism—even in THEIR country—and Eagle Bait would get a threatening letter from the U.S. Attorney General. :cat:

Bill

Yes really these ads..I have to be careful . Thank you for what you have written. Maybe the problem with fake ads is bigger than I thought.

Last edited:
Hi bockos,

When first considering the vast variety of possible binocular choices, most of us here on the forum would have started out in a similar state of confusion
As a general starting point, both in relation to magnification and some other consideration, see what I posted at: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3981985&postcount=21

Once you’ve got some idea of what magnification/ objective combinations are likely to be of most interest to you, you can then start narrowing down on what makes and models you’re interested in
Depending on where you live, being able to visit several well stocked binocular retailers and trying various models, can be most helpful in deciding what features you do and don't like

John

Thank you for the helpful words. Very wise words. I apologize for my bad English. But now I remember how in the beginning many years ago I bought an English small binoculars Zuum 8-100x25. for about 40 euros .. for 8x25 looked very good. I don't remember any aberrations. I do not know exactly for what purpose it was made. Maybe for horse racing. Maybe you know better than me. But this compact binoculars were cute and very dark .. Then I gave it to a beautiful girl, but that's another story ...for Gift

Last edited:
Hello Bockos,

One must consider how you use your binocular: for bird and nature observation, at a stadium, for hunting, perhaps for astronomy. I find it difficult to use a 10x, except for brief observations near the horizon. I find it difficult to use an 8x for astronomy, except for looking for planets at dawn or dusk. At the last lunar eclipse, I relied on a 7x. No one binocular fits all bird watching needs. Before the pandemic, I often carried two: a 6x or a 7x and a 10x.
Another consideration is when do you use a binocular. In high latitudes, at dusk or dawn, a 42mm objective is quite appropriate. At lower latitudes, in daylight, a 32mm objective might be sufficient.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Few people can use high-power binoculars like the SLC 15x56 without a tripod. My experience is that 12x is the max power I can use without a tripod and still see more details than with 10x or 8x. I own the Swaro SV 10x50 and 12x50 and love them. I compared the SV 10x50 and the NL 10x42 and found the SV to be significantly better (for me). I was surprised to read that many have sold their SVs 10x50 and replaced them with the NLs, everybody is different. I will receive an NL 8x42 in a couple of days and I will be able to see for myself if they are as good as you (and others) said they are.

Thank you for your words. I agree that 10x50fieldpro is hard to beat optically. ..Also 15x56SLC..and 12x50fieldpro and 8x56SLC ... they are very good .. But I'm obviously looking for binoculars to be with me every time ... every day ..100% usable ... So I found 10x50fieldpro , a little heavy ... a little slower focus, when fast birds fly in front of me from left to right ... when they fly very fast and change the direction of flight .. then I noticed 10x50fieldpro a little slow to focus them. Also 1kg is a little heavier for me..When I compared it on a sunny day with 8x42NL and 10x42NL, I put FRP on both of them .. both NL were more stable in my hand than 10x50 and all other binoculars in general ..Obviously for me the limit is 42 mm and about 800 g. Yes NL are 159m wide .... 133m ... and these colors and contrast..I obviously see the dilemma: 1. Binoculars ... and 2. I ... I see very good binoculars optically.10x, 15x, 20x. .. but by hand for me I can't keep it stable .. it's just a tripod. That's why I'm looking for the golden mean. The price is a compromise. The decision is more difficult than I thought. And I love 10x50 and 12x 50 and 15x 56..but what can I do I can't wear them every day ... maybe 8x42 and 10x 42..is a compromise for me.

Hello Bockos,

One must consider how you use your binocular: for bird and nature observation, at a stadium, for hunting, perhaps for astronomy. I find it difficult to use a 10x, except for brief observations near the horizon. I find it difficult to use an 8x for astronomy, except for looking for planets at dawn or dusk. At the last lunar eclipse, I relied on a 7x. No one binocular fits all bird watching needs. Before the pandemic, I often carried two: a 6x or a 7x and a 10x.
Another consideration is when do you use a binocular. In high latitudes, at dusk or dawn, a 42mm objective is quite appropriate. At lower latitudes, in daylight, a 32mm objective might be sufficient.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thank you for your comment. Maybe you're right. Maybe the binoculars should be two ..one 7x .. (or 8x ...) and one 10x ... maybe 10x .. .. Binoculars held by hand. If I allow a tripod maybe ATX 115 or Zeiss Harpia telescope or others .. also maybe binoculars 15x ... or 20x..Yes. But I would hardly carry a telescope and a tripod every time on the river, in the forest, on the beach, in the mountains .... day and night..morning and evening or on a bright sunny day .. Maybe we need an 8x42 (7x42) and one 8x32 and one 10x42 ..I do not know. If a person has the opportunity to take only one binoculars ... this will probably be 8x42 for me ... as the first binoculars ... from the little experience I have. If I'm on the beach I may want 10x ... yes.
* sea shore in the sense of looking at the sea, the horizon

Last edited:
In a prism? That reminded me of a scene from Superman2 in which the villains are trapped in a 2D glass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWoyRlPOb3Q

Hey, Peter,

Since the stroke, my fingers often seem to have a mind of their own. But the "M" is next to the "N" ... So, that was the problem. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

'Fact is, i can PROOF my work, and PROOF my work, and PROOF my work, and ,as soon as I press ENTER, still find more errors. Desirable? No. It's just the hand I have been delt. :cat:

Bill

Hey, Peter,

Since the stroke, my fingers often seem to have a mind of their own. But the "M" is next to the "N" ... So, that was the problem. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

'Fact is, i can PROOF my work, and PROOF my work, and PROOF my work, and ,as soon as I press ENTER, still find more errors. Desirable? No. It's just the hand I have been delt. :cat:

Bill

One thing I've learned as a writer is you cannot proof your own work unless some time has passed (like a week or two :C)

Hey, Peter,

Bill
Hey Bill,

Just a lousy attempt at a joke, I thought it was funny that the idea of incarcerating villains in a glass plane or prism has already been used in a movie.

Anyway, be safe and healthy.
Peter

So I found 10x50fieldpro , a little heavy ... a little slower focus, when fast birds fly in front of me from left to right ... when they fly very fast and change the direction of flight .. then I noticed 10x50fieldpro a little slow to focus them. Also 1kg is a little heavier for me...
The NL 10x42 is only about 15% lighter than the Swaro 10x50. I agree with you that the focuser of the 10x50 is a bit on the slow side but so are the focusers of many Swaro models including the NL 10x42. Regarding hand holding the binos steadily, for some reason I can do that more easily with the 10x50, maybe I am more used to them and also perhaps the additional weight helps a bit to inertially damp the higher-frequency vibrations.

The NL 10x42 is only about 15% lighter than the Swaro 10x50. I agree with you that the focuser of the 10x50 is a bit on the slow side but so are the focusers of many Swaro models including the NL 10x42. Regarding hand holding the binos steadily, for some reason I can do that more easily with the 10x50, maybe I am more used to them and also perhaps the additional weight helps a bit to inertially damp the higher-frequency vibrations.
Yes . Maybe you are right .. 10x50 EL fieldpro is a great binoculars. If there is a day Swarovski NL 10x 50, I will want to have it ... to 8x42NL ...

Hey Bill,

Just a lousy attempt at a joke, I thought it was funny that the idea of incarcerating villains in a glass plane or prism has already been used in a movie.

Anyway, be safe and healthy.
Peter

Hey, knock it off! You know me better than that. Lay it on me. I take MY humor wherever can find it! You should too. The joke was just fine. Besides, I’ve seen Superman II.

As for oldfortyfive ... thanks for joining me in the sword-falling competition.

There is one member of this forum who would swear I don’t know how to communicate properly. I sure hope he never gets to talk to any of the dozens of publishers who keep wanting my work. But they’re just publishers. What could they possibly know about writing? :cat:

“If a writer knows enough about his subject, he may omit things that he knows. The dignity in the movement of an iceberg is due to only one ninth of it being above water.” — Ernest Hemingway

Bill
amazon.com/author/wwiljoco

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 3.40.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 3.40.28 PM.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
@ bockos: would be fun to know your experience when trying a 7x compared to 8x and higher. You might be in for another surprise (steadiness, depth of view)!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back