• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thekla? Spain (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
So from my road trip I spent a morning with the Larks.

This one I have as Thekla. The bill looks short, convex lower mandible, the crest rises from the middle and not the front, white eyering... At the time I felt the call was different being less whispt than the numerous Crested.

Am I right?

Attachments

• IMG_7079.JPG
    IMG_7079.JPG
    421.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7082.JPG
    IMG_7082.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 41
It’s difficult to really see the bill shape and length at this angle (are these the only images? Any in flight?) these can vary but at this angle without knowing how much it is foreshortened, it seems short, convex on the lower manible and stubbier enough for Thekla. Plumage also varies with some overlap with Crested but the brighter and stronger super, prominent eyering and heavy breast streaking favour Thekla as does the apparently strong rufous tones in the tail. The thickness and shape of the crest in both species also varies depending on mood/weather etc and again at this angle, it’s tricky. As you know, they are very difficult to separate unless on good views - it does look like a Thekla but I can’t ID it with certainty. I struggle to separate the calls personally but Thekla has a lower pitch though.

Specific location/habitat might also be a clue. (Although in this case if Crested Larks were numerous, you would be looking at overlap, so perhaps not helpful in this instance)

In short,(!!) I’m inclined to agree with Thekla Lark

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back