• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringing Today (1 Viewer)

tchagra

Well Hola Once Again

A real mixed bag of weather down here today,some real heavy showers,but in between times hot sunshine,continually opening and closing the nets,so a rather disjointed a.m.

Trapped 13 birds,10 of which were migrants,the residents were zitting cisticola,greenfinch and house sparrow,migrants incl.,2 sedge warblers,4 reed warblers,2 willow warblers,garden warbler and a grasshopper warbler.

richard:t:

... and a report from the North

Richard

Up here in the north has most of the migrants already left.
But the numbers of those still staying are fair.

My "Yardringing" this week-end (20-22 September 2002):

1 - Great Spotted Woodpecker
1 - Tree Pipit (Late)
24 - Dunnock (Good number)
2 - Robin
9 - Chiffchaff (Good number)
8 - Willow Warbler (The last individuals)
2 - Goldcrest
1 - Spotted Flycatcher (Very late)
7 - Blue Tit
14 - Great Tit
8 - Tree Sparrow (New for my Yard)
15 - Brambling
12 - Goldfinch
4 - Siskin
1 - Lesser Redpoll
2 - Rustic Bunting (in the end of the migration period)
200 - Reed Bunting (extraordinary numbers for my Yard)

I also ringed my bird No. 10 000! A male Brambling was the lucky one, and this species was one of the 177 species that I have on my "ringed list" up till today.

Regards Peter

Last edited:
ringing

Hi Peter

I am most impressed,i will have to add my species total up and let you know what i come up with,mind you i have done a little in arizona and israel as well as UK,Spain and Gibraltar,so that will have got me a few extra than what i would normally have ringed just on my home patches.

Today and yesterday was ringing along a local river site,and autumn migration has really got under full swing.

Total for 2 sessions in the mornings are as follows:

4 BLACKBIRDS
4 BLACKCAPS
4 SPOTTED FLYCATCHERS :migrant
4 SARDINIAN WARBLERS
1 SAND MARTIN:migrant
1 REED WARBLER:migrant
3 WILLOW WARBLES:migrant
6 GREENFINCH
9 GARDEN WARBLERS:migrant
3 CETTIS WARBLERS
1 WRYNECK:migrant
1 COMMON REDSTART:migrant
6 SWALLOWS:migrant
11 PIED FLYCATCHERS:migrant
3 KINGFISHERS
3 GOLDFINCH
1 WHITETHROAT:migrant
1 ORTOLAN BUNTING:migrant

Ortolan was a ringing tick for me unbelievably,but on Gibraltar I always let the visiting ringers have first choice.

Cheers for now

Richard

Peter

10,000 is an impressive number of birds ringed.
How long has it taken you to reach that number?

All this talk of ringing is starting to stir the interest of other members of the forum!
ElAnnie's on her way and and I don't think she'll be the only one.

Richard,

We have a ringing station about 5 miles away on Hilbre Island in the Dee estuary. Have you ever been ringing there?
The other one I know of locally is at Woolston Eyes reseve near Warrington. I am a member of Woolston Eyes Conservation Group and I know they welcome visitors who wish to see their ringing activities. I must go and have a look!

paj:t:

local ringing groups

Hi Pajarero

Hilbre ,I have not been too but i am sure being in the Dee Estuary area,it is a great place for waders.

I am not a wader buff,but i manage to ring a few down here in S.W.Spain and they are most wonderful to see in the hand,if you want to overdose on them,take a trip to the Wash wader group where they ring vast numbers and get lots of interesting controls.

Do take a look at your local group,i have heard of them,go with an open mind,you may really enjoy it,or dont really approve.

Let me know what you think,it really is a fascinating "science".

all the best

richard

Yes plenty of waders and wildfowl on Dee estuary.
Also peregrine, merlin, short-eared owl and hen harrier.
I've seen some ringing on Hilbre but I will get down to Woolston as well.

paj

Ringing

pajarero

I put my first ring on a bird at Haparanda Sandskar Birdringing Station (northernmost parts of the Bothnian Bay) in 1982 and been one of the administrators of that station for more than ten years. Normally I spend a week during the autum miration there.
1986-1990 i ringed in Mozambique - small numbers but intresting species.
Since 1990 I've travelled some and always try to find a ringing/banding station to visit.

Ringing info & pics of many of the birds I have ringed You'll find on this address: http://www.communique.se/medit/

Regards Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back