• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Scilly Pelagic (1 Viewer)

Reader

I don't know if you guys are aware of a proposed three day Scilly Pelagic that has been organised for Aug 16th, 17th & 18th (Fri, Sat, Sunday) but it was put on the pager last weekend. Remarkably little interest has come of it so far so I thought that if I put it on Birdforum it might get far more interest.

My mate & I are definitely interested but there needs to be more. Ideally about 15 / 16 are needed. The cost for the three days would ber £80 a head.

It is broken down as 5 hours on the Friday, 7 to 8 hours on the Saturday and up to five hours on the Sunday. It is on the Sapphire and Bob Flood will be joining the boat.

This has got to be a bargain, based on other prices for Scilly Pelagics, and the best bit is that it fits in with the Scillonian sailing times so you don't have to go to the expense of using the planes. You sail out of Penzance Friday morning at 9.15am and sail back from St Mary's on the Sunday at 3pm.

If you are interested ring Joe on 07776 204631.

I hope numbers can be built up as it would be a shame to miss this opportunity.

John

updated information needed

I don't know if you guys are aware ...If you are interested ring Joe on 07776 204631.

John

Hi John,
any news about the 3-day-trip. I have arranged with Joe the Saturday-Trip right now. But 3 days for 80 Pounds Sound reasonable. Would be interested. Tricky is accomodation up to now....
Johannes

The trip is definitely on still and we are going on it. If you want to get in touch with him his number is 0777 6204631 (the ASapphire). I managed to get accommodation arranged and have also booked on the Scillonian.

John

Hi John,
any news about the 3-day-trip. I have arranged with Joe the Saturday-Trip right now. But 3 days for 80 Pounds Sound reasonable. Would be interested. Tricky is accomodation up to now....
Johannes

It is a great weekend and the best way of getting tickable views of Wilsons Petrel. A bargain it is not. The travel and accomodation costs make it not a trip you would do every year.

I know I may be a bit dull here, but is this a "3 day pelagic", that is 3 days at sea staying on the boat or 3x1 day pelagics that is out each day and back to harbour find your own food and board?

I don't know if you guys are aware of a proposed three day Scilly Pelagic that has been organised for Aug 16th, 17th & 18th (Fri, Sat, Sunday) but it was put on the pager last weekend. Remarkably little interest has come of it so far so I thought that if I put it on Birdforum it might get far more interest.

My mate & I are definitely interested but there needs to be more. Ideally about 15 / 16 are needed. The cost for the three days would ber £80 a head.

It is broken down as 5 hours on the Friday, 7 to 8 hours on the Saturday and up to five hours on the Sunday. It is on the Sapphire and Bob Flood will be joining the boat.

This has got to be a bargain, based on other prices for Scilly Pelagics, and the best bit is that it fits in with the Scillonian sailing times so you don't have to go to the expense of using the planes. You sail out of Penzance Friday morning at 9.15am and sail back from St Mary's on the Sunday at 3pm.

If you are interested ring Joe on 07776 204631.

John

Their website isn't updated with this trip. It might help increase numbers if it was advertised.

I know I may be a bit dull here, but is this a "3 day pelagic", that is 3 days at sea staying on the boat or 3x1 day pelagics that is out each day and back to harbour find your own food and board?

See the details in Reader's original post - three trips over the course of three days

They have advertised it twice on the RBA pager. Two weeks ago they had enough to do the trip with a few places still left to fill. Whether or not those places are still up for grabs is anyone's guess.

John

Their website isn't updated with this trip. It might help increase numbers if it was advertised.

This looks exactly like the three -trip package advertised by Oriole Birding - dates, boat and personnel. They mention 20 people as possible plus the two leaders - Bob Flood and Neil Donaghy.

If you are on Scilly anyway it definitely looks a bargain at £80. The Oriole package is £450 including accommodation etc.

Steve

It is a bargain in the scheme of things but not if you break it down cost by cost.

In the end if you class it as a weekend away then it isn't so bad and if the boats turn up trumps birdwise then that's a bonus.

I'm certainly looking forward to it.

John

It is a great weekend and the best way of getting tickable views of Wilsons Petrel. A bargain it is not. The travel and accomodation costs make it not a trip you would do every year.

It is a bargain in the scheme of things but not if you break it down cost by cost.

In the end if you class it as a weekend away then it isn't so bad and if the boats turn up trumps birdwise then that's a bonus.

I'm certainly looking forward to it.

John

You'll miss the Birdfair though John

Steve

We have found a B&B for £30 a night plus I booked the Scillonian for £66 so all in all that will cost £206 + the cost of getting to the Scillonian, say another £80. £280 for a long weekend with possibly a bit of an adrenilin rush thrown in for good measure doesn't sound too bad to me.

The sailing times also give you a chance of a few hours on the Scillies and who knows what might be found there.

John

This looks exactly like the three -trip package advertised by Oriole Birding - dates, boat and personnel. They mention 20 people as possible plus the two leaders - Bob Flood and Neil Donaghy.

If you are on Scilly anyway it definitely looks a bargain at £80. The Oriole package is £450 including accommodation etc.

Steve

There's still a few places up for grabs if anyone is interested (as per advert on the RBA pager). Details in my opening post.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back