• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Still Tops In My Book... (1 Viewer)

Mac308

United States
Sure, they don't bring out new models as rapidly as the Detroit auto makers, but they're built like Teutonic Tanks... there's something about bringing products more slowly to market that is old-fashioned and smart. Do it right first.

The Ultravid line is diminutive in size, has actual working objective covers (ok, the ocular cover stinks, but I replaced mine with the BN version), a terrific diopter adjustment ring, and an internal build that is second to none. Their grease-less focus knob is also brilliant... some here gripe about it, but I've used it at -30F and it works just like at +90F... you can't say that about any other binocular.

So here's to Leica... still the top of the heap all things taken in consideration. A binocular is more than just its view, it's the sum of its parts!

Sure, they don't bring out new models as rapidly as the Detroit auto makers, but they're built like Teutonic Tanks... there's something about bringing products more slowly to market that is old-fashioned and smart. Do it right first.

The Ultravid line is diminutive in size, has actual working objective covers (ok, the ocular cover stinks, but I replaced mine with the BN version), a terrific diopter adjustment ring, and an internal build that is second to none. Their grease-less focus knob is also brilliant... some here gripe about it, but I've used it at -30F and it works just like at +90F... you can't say that about any other binocular.

So here's to Leica... still the top of the heap all things taken in consideration. A binocular is more than just its view, it's the sum of its parts!

I think most of the top brands perform as well when it comes to hot / cold focus. I know [from experience] the FL / HT / Conquest do, so too even the lowly Terra - smooth and precise down to -24 C. [-35 C with windchill!]

Mac,

You raise some excellent points. I have both the HD's and BN's in 8x32. The BN's are still my favorite. In fact I just sold my Nikon Superior SE 8x32 because I never used them. Always pick up the BN's.

- Good optics
- Great handling
- Nice focus
- Nice cover
- Small size, but but enough to hold

Well, that's my opinion. I like the HD's too but they're not as comfortable as the BN's in the hand. Too small perhaps?

Mac,

You raise some excellent points. I have both the HD's and BN's in 8x32. The BN's are still my favorite. In fact I just sold my Nikon Superior SE 8x32 because I never used them. Always pick up the BN's.

- Good optics
- Great handling
- Nice focus
- Nice cover
- Small size, but but enough to hold

Well, that's my opinion. I like the HD's too but they're not as comfortable as the BN's in the hand. Too small perhaps?

Hello Steinadler,

At one time I had the BN, the SE and the Zeiss FL 8x32's. As you did, I sold the Nikon. However, I find that I prefer the Zeiss, but the Leica BN is a very nice glass, indeed. The BN is heavier and therefore feels more substantial but I think that the Zeiss has proven just as sturdy. The dioptre setting on the Leica may be more reliable, but the FL glass does something for the colour quality, especially in the blue range

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I love my Leica 8x32BN, I also have the Zeiss FL 8x32, both great binoculars to use, but there is just something about the BN, it looks and feels classier somehow. I had considered getting the Leica 8x32HD, and have read a lot of reviews and rankings, overall it appears to be rated a little below the Zeiss FL 8x32 with very similar reviews, the attraction was the smaller size but there seem to have been some compromises made to get the compact size of the HD, and the BN seems to be more popular. So I have concluded I am probably better off sticking with my BN for now.

Never owned one but to me the Leica badge is the most covetable.

Yet to try UV7X42.

Torview

If you are a fan of the Leica colour balance, which is very attractive, the 7x42 UV is a terrific view. A wider FOV would be nice to go with the depth of focus, but it is a great instrument.

Lee

I have concluded I am probably better off sticking with my BN for now.

Not sure about that 'better off with BN' bit although I don't think you are missing a whole lot by staying with your BN, it remains an iconic bin.

But personally I do think Uvid is a little better in respect of brightness and contrast.

But then again I am Zeiss fan-boy so what do I know? Well, one thing is clear and that is that Leica will be replacing Uvid in the not too distant future which could mean a new model to tempt you or a least a good discount off the Uvids.

Lee

I also once had an 8x32 BN. Fantastic binocular. The BR/HD is a marginal improvement, mainly ergonomically. I prefer the smaller size of the Ultravid, but that's a personal thing.

Regarding the FL 8x32 vs the Ultravid 8x32... I've owned a pair of FL 8x32's, and compared them carefully with a USAF optics chart over a weeks time to my 8x32 BR. The BR's were no more or less bright at first and last light, but the Leica had slightly better resolution and a bigger sweet spot. I sent back the FL's.

Recently compared the same 8x32 bins again (except the Leica was the HD, not BR) and had the same results on a USAF chart at the store.

The FL's have nice ergonomics, accessories, etc., but the Leica image coloration is more natural to my eyes, and the Leica's have a slightly bigger sweet-spot (at least among the 4 different models I tried).

Of course, binoculars at this level is really a matter of grading diamonds... they're all pretty good!

I really like Leica products. I believe they are top shelf. But, what do you guys think of the fact that Leica is the only alpha sport optics company that does not have a lifetime transferrable warranty (at least in the USA) ?

My 8x32 BR's have a lifetime warranty, albeit non-transferable.

Leica was in serious financial straights a couple years ago and are only now climbing out of thier hole. Sports Optics are only a tiny fraction of Swarovski and Zeiss's business. They have deeper pockets and it's reflected in their warranties. BUT, in particular for Swarovski, you absolutely pay more for that warranty up front.

Good news about Leica is one may go a lifetime without needing to use the warranty...

But personally I do think Uvid is a little better in respect of brightness and contrast.

"A little bit better" - that sums it up nicely. The Ultravid is "a little bit better" than a roof prism binocular developed more than 15 years ago, but no more.

It's about time Leica got their act together, "a little bit better" just isn't good enough.

Hermann

My 8x32 BR's have a lifetime warranty, albeit non-transferable.

Leica was in serious financial straights a couple years ago and are only now climbing out of thier hole. Sports Optics are only a tiny fraction of Swarovski and Zeiss's business. They have deeper pockets and it's reflected in their warranties. BUT, in particular for Swarovski, you absolutely pay more for that warranty up front.

Good news about Leica is one may go a lifetime without needing to use the warranty...

Excellent point about paying extra for a better warranty. I get the impression that many people believe the higher price of the Swaros somehow equates to them being better binoculars, but I agree with the OP - Leicas are still the gold standard. I had my Trinovids for 20 years and I anticipate having my Ultravids for at least that long. I can't think of any other binocular brand I could say that about.

Last edited:
Leica Longevity

Hello,

I have three Leitz, old name of the firm, binoculars, made before 1951. All needed some work, but all function. The 7x50 Marseptit is better than newer 7x50 Porro, made by that Austrian company. My 8x30 Binuxit is perfectly usable by anyone who does not wear glasses and with special eye cups, I can use them with my specs. With care, they will probably function for another fifty years. I have similar expectations for my 8x32 BN.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Hear! Hear! Hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!

About time somebody showed some love for Leica. The Swaro "Best Fest" was getting old with all the back slapping and self-congratulations.

The new Trinny didn't seem to catch fire, but I think that a good part of it was the fact that the original Trinnies, or at least the Leica version with phase coatings, were so well made and became such classics that Leica probably shouldn't have called their new second tier line by the same name. Be like Zeiss calling the Conquest HDs B/GA ClassiCs.

jraider makes a good point about the warranty, which held me back from purchasing a used Trinny on more than one occasion. That doesn't take away from the image or the build qualities mentioned above, but I think if Leica's warranty and customer service were more in line with Nikon USA, Zeiss and Swarovski, more birders might consider purchasing them either new or used. I know I would.

Brock

I can't think of any binocular less in need of a warranty than a Trinovid.

Greetings. Mechanically, maybe, but I think that the waterproofing seals would require checking every few years to be confident that the nitrogen is still there. Such need would benefit from a more liberal warranty transfers than those currently applicable. Hastily added, Leica trinovid and ultravid models are awesome and do provide enormous joy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back