• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Columbia (1 Viewer)

Martin1989

Birds of Colombia

Hi everyone,

I've been to Columbia last january, and since it's my first trip to South America i have some trouble for numerous ID...
Could you please help me with these ones?
Most of them are awful and may stay unidentified,, we'll see
Thx

All five pictures are taken in Salento, Central cordillera
On number 5, I'd IDed the male as Tourmaline Sunangel

Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
All five are taken in Salento, Central cordillera

For number 9, i was thinking of Rusty-marginated Flycatcher.
For number 10, black-billed thrush?

Attachments

• IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Taken in Salento, Central cordillera again.

number 12 is black billed thrush?
Number 14: thick billed euphonia?
number 15: ground dove?

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
All 4 were taken in Tatacoa, C Columbia

16 - buteo?
17 - velet fronted euphonia?
18 - i can't find an oriole without a dark throat...
19 - kiskadee?

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 20
4-female Summer Tanager
5-Hummingbird on left - was gonna say female Garden Emerald but range doesn't reach Colombia so maybe not
13-looks all red, should be male Summer Tanager
15-Ruddy Ground Dove
18-not sure if immmature Yellow-Backed has the black mask yet
19-Great Kiskadee most likely than Lesser Kiskadee-which has flatter head and wings than to me look slightly less rufous

Last edited:
Could be, I looked on ebird and Hepatic is present in that area. Maybe someone who has birded there can help. Zooming in the breast on your bird looks deep bright red (I thought Hepatic is either more orange or darker red) so there I think Summer. But then I think I see a darker area around the face (which is more indicative of Hepatic) but with all the branches blocking the bird it's not very clear. The Summer Tanager's red is brighter/deeper and cleaner compared to northern populations of Hepatic Tanager, but this is Colombia, Hepatics there could be very different.

Your welcome! I am puzzled by the lack of replies to this post, only myself replying. Is there another bird forum maybe one more focused on tropical America?

Last edited:
Could be, I looked on ebird and Hepatic is present in that area. Maybe someone who has birded there can help. Zooming in the breast on your bird looks deep bright red (I thought Hepatic is either more orange or darker red) so there I think Summer. But then I think I see a darker area around the face (which is more indicative of Hepatic) but with all the branches blocking the bird it's not very clear. The Summer Tanager's red is brighter/deeper and cleaner compared to northern populations of Hepatic Tanager, but this is Colombia, Hepatics there could be very different.

Your welcome! I am puzzled by the lack of replies to this post, only myself replying. Is there another bird forum maybe one more focused on tropical America?

Should be summer, assuming the actual colour was either red or yellowish rather than the bright chestnut we see in the photo as bill is pale (dark for hepatic)

18 - That's a Yellow Oriole (different species than Yellow-Backed)

yep I'd go with Summer Tanager male at #13, #4 a female without a doubt

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've been to Columbia last january, and since it's my first trip to South America i have some trouble for numerous ID...
Could you please help me with these ones?
Most of them are awful and may stay unidentified,, we'll see
Thx

All five pictures are taken in Salento, Central cordillera
On number 5, I'd IDed the male as Tourmaline Sunangel

Martin

Think 2 might be black-and-chestnut eagle given terminal tail band, pale patches in outer wing and darker inner.
5 is speckled hummingbird rather than an emerald due to buffy unders (some of the Colombian subspecies are not heavily speckled)

had not seen this row:
7-Summer Tanager agaim - immature male with patches of red on face.
8-looks like Apical Flycatcher

4-female Summer Tanager
5-Hummingbird on left - was gonna say female Garden Emerald but range doesn't reach Colombia so maybe not
13-looks all red, should be male Summer Tanager
15-Ruddy Ground Dove
18-not sure if immmature Yellow-Backed has the black mask yet
19-Great Kiskadee most likely than Lesser Kiskadee-which has flatter head and wings than to me look slightly less rufous

>>13-looks all red, should be male Summer Tanager

The bill and lores look dark which means hepatic. However, I'm not 100% confident that they are because of the quality of the photo

There's a few different subspecies of the Hepatic Tanager and some look almost exactly like a Summer Tanager, especially highland South American species. They are much brighter red and without the darker or grayish areas in the face as the subspecies in the US and Mexico. Even with a picture not blocked by branches it wouldn't be so easy to tell those Hepatics from Summer unless the species were side by side. Even the female and immature "Summer" on these pictures could be Hepatic. I notice puffed up feathers forming a "crest" on these, don't know if that could identify them, possibly they both do that.

Last edited:
There's a few different subspecies of the Hepatic Tanager and some look almost exactly like a Summer Tanager, especially highland South American species. They are much brighter red and without the darker or grayish areas in the face as the subspecies in the US and Mexico. Even with a picture not blocked by branches it wouldn't be so easy to tell those Hepatics from Summer unless the species were side by side. Even the female and immature "Summer" on these pictures could be Hepatic. I notice puffed up feathers forming a "crest" on these, don't know if that could identify them, possibly they both do that.

yes, thanks. My comment was based on the ID notes in the Proaves Colombia guide. So should be good for Colombia. As I said, I find it difficult to be sure of bill colour based on this photo. I'd also note that I don't think I've seen a summer tanager this richly coloured in South America (I've seen a few), but that's not to say they don't occur.

Taken in Salento, Central cordillera again.

number 12 is black billed thrush?
Number 14: thick billed euphonia?
number 15: ground dove?

#11: female lesser goldfinch, I think
Agree others you suggest (it's a male ruddy ground dove as correspondents have noted). At least one of your thrush photos is very rufous but doesn't look much like clay-coloured thrush which is also recorded from quindío - so I suppose it must be black-billed.

All 4 were taken in Tatacoa, C Columbia

16 - buteo?
17 - velet fronted euphonia?
18 - i can't find an oriole without a dark throat...
19 - kiskadee?

16 - looks good for dark phase broad-winged hawk (white windows in primaries, bars on tail, apparent size etc)
19 - most likely great kiskadee

Working within the photo quality, here's my take on these:
1- Golden-faced Tyrannulet. Jizz (particularly stubby wings and posture) and face pattern make me fairly confident of this, and it's a common bird there.
2- My gut impression is Black-and-chestnut Eagle. The paddle wings give an impression of Spizaetus or some of the Kites, and S isidori is the best fit. Was this photo from Salento itself or from Valle de Corcora?
3- Pin headed, the long straight tail, yellow legs visible in lightened photo, wing shape point me at Plain-breated (Sharp-shinned) Hawk. I have a hard time convincing myself that this could be a Hook-billed Kite or Double-toothed Kite, which are the only other things that spring to mind.
4- Summer Tanager. With that crest I don't see any way it could be Hepatic/Highland Hepatic/Tooth-billed (depending on your taxonomic / common name preferences).
5- Tourmaline Sunangel and Speckled Hummingbird
6- Female Long-tailed Sylph
7- Summer Tanager again for me. The blotchy look + the crest are pretty classic.
8- Pale-edged Flycatcher. I take it as an obvious Myiarchus and the pale edging on the folded wing and the pale outer edge of the outer rets are pretty definitive. It is also the most common Myiarchus in that area. Note that Apical Flycatcher (suggested above) would be out of range and out of habitat here.
9- Rusty-margined Flycatcher
10- Black-billed Thrush
11- A juv/female Spinus sp. With the color coming in on the throat a bit, the wing pattern, and the apparently lightly streaked breast I might guess more likely a Siskin, and perhaps Andean Siskin, but not really confident.
12- Despite the odd coloring in the picture the chest/belly pattern looks like what I would expect from Black-billed Thrush in that area.
13- Summer Tanager
14- Thick-billed Euphonia. eBird suggests it is very uncommon in Salento, but there's no doubt that is what the photo is of!
15- Ruddy Ground-Dove

Tatacoa photos:
16- I would go for dark morph Broad-winged Hawk or Short-tailed Hawk. Perhaps jizz looks more like Broad-winged, but I will admit I'm no expert on the fine points here, I've suffered telling them from White-throated Hawk enough times as well.
17- Velvet-fronted Euphonia
18- Yellow Oriole. It's the more expected species there, and what we can see of face/throat coloration points more at this species than others.
19- Great Kiskadee

Working within the photo quality, here's my take on these:
1- Golden-faced Tyrannulet. Jizz (particularly stubby wings and posture) and face pattern make me fairly confident of this, and it's a common bird there.
2- My gut impression is Black-and-chestnut Eagle. The paddle wings give an impression of Spizaetus or some of the Kites, and S isidori is the best fit. Was this photo from Salento itself or from Valle de Corcora?
3- Pin headed, the long straight tail, yellow legs visible in lightened photo, wing shape point me at Plain-breated (Sharp-shinned) Hawk. I have a hard time convincing myself that this could be a Hook-billed Kite or Double-toothed Kite, which are the only other things that spring to mind.
4- Summer Tanager. With that crest I don't see any way it could be Hepatic/Highland Hepatic/Tooth-billed (depending on your taxonomic / common name preferences).
5- Tourmaline Sunangel and Speckled Hummingbird
6- Female Long-tailed Sylph
7- Summer Tanager again for me. The blotchy look + the crest are pretty classic.
8- Pale-edged Flycatcher. I take it as an obvious Myiarchus and the pale edging on the folded wing and the pale outer edge of the outer rets are pretty definitive. It is also the most common Myiarchus in that area. Note that Apical Flycatcher (suggested above) would be out of range and out of habitat here.
9- Rusty-margined Flycatcher
10- Black-billed Thrush
11- A juv/female Spinus sp. With the color coming in on the throat a bit, the wing pattern, and the apparently lightly streaked breast I might guess more likely a Siskin, and perhaps Andean Siskin, but not really confident.
12- Despite the odd coloring in the picture the chest/belly pattern looks like what I would expect from Black-billed Thrush in that area.
13- Summer Tanager
14- Thick-billed Euphonia. eBird suggests it is very uncommon in Salento, but there's no doubt that is what the photo is of!
15- Ruddy Ground-Dove

Tatacoa photos:
16- I would go for dark morph Broad-winged Hawk or Short-tailed Hawk. Perhaps jizz looks more like Broad-winged, but I will admit I'm no expert on the fine points here, I've suffered telling them from White-throated Hawk enough times as well.
17- Velvet-fronted Euphonia
18- Yellow Oriole. It's the more expected species there, and what we can see of face/throat coloration points more at this species than others.
19- Great Kiskadee

>>1- Golden-faced Tyrannulet
Of course. Knew I knew it.

>>On 3) sharpie, assume that white thighs aren't a problem? I thought it was probably sharpie too but was thrown by that and by the neck pattern (very like a forest falcon although obviously not that).

On #3 I thought that too but found some photos of Plain-breasted Hawk in flight that had the thighs tucked up and in, not showing rufous. I see what you mean about the neck pattern - hadn't noticed that before. Not sure what to make of that.

I just can't make myself think that is something like Hook-billed Kite nor something like Double-toothed Kite, and can't think of any other contenders.

Hard to be 100% certain from one photo, but I don't have any better ideas.

On #3 I thought that too but found some photos of Plain-breasted Hawk in flight that had the thighs tucked up and in, not showing rufous. I see what you mean about the neck pattern - hadn't noticed that before. Not sure what to make of that.

I just can't make myself think that is something like Hook-billed Kite nor something like Double-toothed Kite, and can't think of any other contenders.

Hard to be 100% certain from one photo, but I don't have any better ideas.

...My feelings exactly.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back