• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

Barn Owl in old cow shed at Canons Farm again yesterday. Park by Canons Farmhouse, Canons Lane, Burgh Heath and walk c330 yards east, turn left at the derelict barn and view through the door of the large barn 60 yards on the right. It's in there once every week or so. Also a wintering Chiffchaff in the Pages Acre/Chipstead Road area recently and Little Owls reliable along the west side of the south end of Broadfield, Common Buzzards feeding in Broadfield and Woodcocks around as usual.

Papercourt Meadows:

5 Short -eared Owl with some excellent close-up views. Show started about 4.30pm

Also 2 Kestrel and a Buzzard

Allan

Tundra Bean Goose with Greylags in field by Mill Lane (south end) Thorpe, this evening, showing well.

Seems settled, taking occasional stick from the more aggressive of the Greylags.

John

At least 50 Reed Buntings today at Thursley Common, feeding on grass seed on icy puddles along the path directly east of Pudmore Pond. By far the highest number of this species I have personally seen together in the county.

Matt.

Reed Buntings, Thursley

The Reed Buntings have been there for nearly two months. There was 100 and it's a good record. About ten years ago you could find various flocks of small birds wintering in reasonable numbers. They don't come anymore and those that do are only in small numbers. Consequently there are not any wintering Merlins.

After visiting Thursley many times over the Winter, today I finally found the Shrike B :)
Its double figures easily but I thought it was a larger bird, looked no bigger than a blackbird to me !
Had some great views while it hovered and swooped from the bircth trees here:
http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=SU9144241769|Point_s_B|0&z=16&v=h&t=Point_s_B
I was there from 10 til 12noon and it stayed in the same spot the whole time.

Stu

Last edited:
Walk around Tilford NR this morning produced no sign of Lesser Spots, but did have 2 Buzzard, Kestrel, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, & 3 Great Spots.
I'll try again!

John.

Fantastic to see two Ravens displaying over Crooksbury Common this morning, heading SW, then presumably the same two heading NE away from Thursley later on. Also at Crooksbury: at least 1 singing Dartford Warbler, two singing Woodlark, and perhaps 15-20 Crossbill. Also a very high Peregrine.

The Great Grey Shrike showed well through the heat haze at Thursley. Also eight Lapwing, and a pair of Crossbills nest-building on the north side of Shrike Hill.

Matt.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone could help. Am down at Thames Ditton on Sat evening and noticed that QEII Res, and a couple of others are in that area. Hoping to get out on Sunday morning and have a look around that area.

Do you need any particular pass to walk about there or can anyone else advise on places around there that would be worth a look?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike

The only res you might get into is Island Barn, as there is a sailing club there. They tend to turn up about 9 on a Sunday (although they don't sail every Sunday at cetain times of the year), and probably won't mind you having a peak (although there isn't much around at the mo). For the others (QE2 & Walton) there is no general access, unless you've got long legs ;)

If you want any futher info suggest you e-mail me direct.

Cheers
Dave

Hi all,

Wondered if anyone could help. Am down at Thames Ditton on Sat evening and noticed that QEII Res, and a couple of others are in that area. Hoping to get out on Sunday morning and have a look around that area.

Do you need any particular pass to walk about there or can anyone else advise on places around there that would be worth a look?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

After several trips to Papercourt this week I have seen Short-eared Owl, Kestrel, Stonechat, Redwing, Meadow Pipit, Barnacle Goose, Egyptian Goose and Green Woodpecker.

After several trips to Papercourt this week I have seen Short-eared Owl, Kestrel, Stonechat, Redwing, Meadow Pipit, Barnacle Goose, Egyptian Goose and Green Woodpecker.

Hi George,

The Short-eared Owls are great to see and put on a good show. Not long left now to enjoy them before they return to there breeding grounds.

Kevin

Great views of Hawfinches this afternoon at Bookham, at least 3 present. Also seen Marsh Tit, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Goldcrest, singing Chiffchaff, Bullfinch, & Ring Necked Parakeet.

John.

Not a rare bird as such, but at 11am I had 6 (six) Common Buzzards cirling over Lower Sunbury. I have seen the odd 1 but not 6 in one go. It was a lovely sight

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back