• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pelican case for scope (1 Viewer)

gee912

Hi, I recently got a spotting scope.

Does anyone use a Pelican type case for storing/transporting their scopes?

Interested to see photos or hear how you guys protect your optics.

I'm looking at buying a pelican case with Trekpak insert and wonder how protective this would be for rough travelling or international birding trips.

Any advice would be really helpful.
Thanks, Gerard

Also would like to know! I have thought about getting one for my binoculars, since I fly somewhat often and don't want anything to happen to them... will be getting a scope soon and this is in the back of my mind.

Also would like to know! I have thought about getting one for my binoculars, since I fly somewhat often and don't want anything to happen to them... will be getting a scope soon and this is in the back of my mind.
Hi pnw_hiker,
Yeah I'm sure others would have been through this as well.

At the moment I'm looking at a Pelican 1485 with Trekpak insert. I have read that some people don't like the pick and pluck foam as it gets a bit ratty after awhile. Also the Trekpak gives more room to fit other things inside the case. We just got a Swarovski scope so I want this thing to last a long time and be protected well.

Whilst they offer very good protection Peli cases do scream out, "Steal Me!", that there is something expensive inside.

I don't know how it is nowadays, but I used an aluminium case from a local store for my Celestron 5 that I could carry into the aircraft cabin.
I cannot remember if I carried the Slik 88 tripod or it went in the hold.
This gave me a 5 inch scope for astro work abroad.
I made my own foam protectors.

I had an enormous aluminium trunk custom made for the 12.5 inch Dall Kirkham as standard ones weren't big enough. I made my own foam protectors. But I never took this abroad.

My heavy 8.5 inch Newtonian was driven by car 1,500 miles and was fine. I had the hydroelastic suspension of the Austin 1800 pumped up to high pressure.

I would never give cameras, lenses etc. to be put in the hold.
They get stolen, used like footballs etc.

Movie people have no choice and use really strong cases.
My friend did transport his 6 inch Newtonian in a large case in the Boeing 767 hold and that was O.K.

I don't know if spotting scopes can go in the cabin or not nowadays.

I carried 20x80 binoculars in a case around my neck.

A book, camera and a binocular were excluded from weight restrictions. The 20x80 was O.K. for this.

The Zoomar 180mm f/1.3 lens had its own large aluminium case.

Hi,

I like my optics in the carry-on backpack. This obviously limits how much stuff you can take, but it also means I know how it's going to be handled. I am a lot more comfortable with my laptop going into checked baggage instead as this is old and encrypted.

Joachim

I don't know if spotting scopes can go in the cabin or not nowadays.

They can. My Kowa scope went through airports security in several airports in France, Turkey and Nepal.

The Turkish airport security was the toughest, as the security lady had no clue what she was looking at, and went to her supervisor with my scope in its case.
Having a small bird identification guide helps to explain.
A scope is not so different than a camera lens after all.

When I fly, I put my 77 scope in a IM2306 StormCase with pluck out foam, and this, into a cheap travel bag, together with my Binos.

Once at security, I leave the Binos in the bag, and remove the scope case for inspection. Most of the time, opening the case is enough for visual check, and I don't have to remove the scope.

Last edited:
Whilst they offer very good protection Peli cases do scream out, "Steal Me!", that there is something expensive inside.

Before I went to Namibia I first went to a thrift store and bought a cheap suitcase that was slightly larger than my Pelican case. Nobody bothered my gear because it was in a dirty torn suitcase.

Chad

I recommend using any case that seals as well as a Pelican for transportation only. They'll trap any moisture which is bad news for storage. Silica gel can mitigate this.

Your scope is likely waterproof so unless you go swimming (as in overturned kayak) you probably don't need such protection. These cases are very bulky, heavy, expensive, and has been said, scream steal me.

Last edited:
Hi,

yes, I also had to prove what my scope was for once (sitting on a table as the tripod was in the checked suitcase).

As for pelican cases - good reasons have been mentioned why not to use them (unless you have an expedition with enough equipment that there is no chance to take it to the cabin - and then hopefully a good insurance in case they get "lost"). And if you have to use them, don't keep stuff in there for extended periods - warm, dry and well ventilated is the key...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back