• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Age of my zeiss? (2 Viewers)

Mike,

I emailed Zeiss USA with the serial No. from my Dialyt glass and they provided me the year of manufacture.

Regards,

Andy W.

It isn't that old. It's the first version of the West German Zeiss 8x30B with a late serial number from maybe around 1970-71. Hopefully Gary will notice this thread and provide an exact date. The post below discusses the two versions and their serial numbers.

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2612936&postcount=15

I bought a pair of those about 12 years ago. At that time Zeiss USA was able to completely clean and refurbish them, including supplying new rubber eyecups and didn't charge me anything. Your eyecups look to be in pretty good shape and happily your pair has the desirable prism housing strap lugs in addition the bridge slits that were the only strap attachment option in earlier production. I don't know what Zeiss's service department will or even can do with these old Porros now, but it's worth an inquiry. If Zeiss is no help then Cory Suddarth of Suddarth Optical Repair is the guy to contact.

Henry

So, you just used the general email address in the "contact us" section? I know it was a long time ago, but just thought I would ask. I tried the phone number, but it seemed to be directing me in quite a circuitous route. I will try again.

Most of my contacts with Cory about the repair he did for me were phone calls using the website phone number. That was about two years ago.

Henry

Henry,

I believe Joker9937 was wondering about contacting Zeiss-USA. Btw, can you please free some PM space, I have tried to send you a PM but you have exceeded the quota.

Peter

Thank you to you all. Your info has been interesting and helpful. I contacted Zeiss, and the person I spoke to was very polite. I followed up with an email as he requested, but have not heard anything in return. No worries. I did not expect them to be interested in working on an old set of binos.

Not to milk the forum for all of their knowledge at one time, but I found another set that I picked up. I wonder if anyone knows when these were made and if they are worth restoring? Someone did a horrible job of re-painting them. Much of the info on them has been blotted out. I have attached pics for as much info as possible.

I can't quite make out the model name, but I think it says "Deltarem". The ser. # as I can see it says "1526564" (not sure that the last number is a "4", but the preceding numbers are fairly clear).

Nearly as heavy as an anvil, but the views look pretty good. I don't want to say what I paid, because it is probably way too much. But, is something like this worth sending to a pro like Cory Suddarth, and putting a couple of hundred into it? Even with being afraid that I spent more than I should have, it was still less than a one or two nice steak dinners.

If not, it is still enjoyable as is. I can take the plates off, as well as other affected parts, and make it look much more attractive than it does currently.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• 20190325_153223.jpg
    20190325_153223.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20190325_152714.jpg
    20190325_152714.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190325_153038.jpg
    20190325_153038.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190325_153007.jpg
    20190325_153007.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190325_153139.jpg
    20190325_153139.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 48
Well, no response, but it's only been a day. I'm questioning whether what I think I'm reading on the right side is actually "Deltarem".

First of all, everything I've read since posting says that they're exceptionally rare. Secondly, the pictures I've found don't look exactly Luke mine. Not sure mine are quite as squat. The eyepiece build looks different on mine too.

So, while they definitely say, "Carl Zeiss Jena", "8x40", and the serial number is mostly legible, the jury is still out on what the model actually is.

Any clue, anyone?

Thanks, Henry. Much appreciated. That looks more likely, based on the proportions. I was a little excited that I'd possibly stumbled on a rare and desirable bino. Still, though, it's pretty nice. Just not the gem I was thinking it was. LoL

Thanks for the model name. Much appreciated.

As far the Zeiss 8x40 pictured, I would not spend the money needed for a restoration. Maybe if it had
sentimental value, but you could purchase a nice clean specimen for less than the cost of restoration.

I would keep looking for a nice Zeiss, and I would want a newer model with multicoated lenses, that way you will have a clearer, brighter and sharper view.

Have you a budget in mind ?

Jerry

Hi,

I agree with Henry on the Delactem - only 8x40 center focus model in the general vicinity of the date of mfg, but it is interesting.
The serial number dates this in 1930 and the Delactem is listed as having been produced from 1931 to 1943 - so either the list of serial numbers is off by a few ten thousand (not too likely) or we have a very early example of the Delactem.

http://www.europa.com/~telscope/zeissbin.txt

http://home.europa.com/~telscope/zeissbn2.txt

As for using it - modern bins with modern coatings will be a lot better than this obviously uncoated example. If you are a collector, things are different of course. Although a 8.75 deg true field of view is quite nice in an 8x40 model... how sharp is it at the edge?

Joachim

Last edited:
As far the Zeiss 8x40 pictured, I would not spend the money needed for a restoration. Maybe if it had
sentimental value, but you could purchase a nice clean specimen for less than the cost of restoration.

I would keep looking for a nice Zeiss, and I would want a newer model with multicoated lenses, that way you will have a clearer, brighter and sharper view.

Have you a budget in mind ?

Jerry

Hello, Jerry. I see your point about the resto. I will probably enjoy it as is for now. I might try and give it a shot myself, but am trying to build a collimator right now. (I think we talked on CN) I won't disassemble these for cleaning until I can be sure to get them back together properly.

Yes, I am keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a newer model. I don't have a specific model or price in mind. I am just picking up cheap ones here and there to get a bit of an education, I guess.

I am open to suggestions, though, on models to keep in mind. Not that money is no object, because it is, but if it is excellent and the price is right, I would make it happen somehow. I generally like these old examples, though.

Hi,

I agree with Henry on the Delactem - only 8x40 center focus model in the general vicinity of the date of mfg, but it is interesting.
The serial number dates this in 1930 and the Delactem is listed as having been produced from 1931 to 1943 - so either the list of serial numbers is off by a few ten thousand (not too likely) or we have a very early example of the Delactem.

http://www.europa.com/~telscope/zeissbin.txt

Someone mentioned this anomaly to me by email. Interesting. I wish whoever had painted the daylights out of this thing hadn't. It doesn't look terrible until you look more closely, but it's the principle.

http://home.europa.com/~telscope/zeissbn2.txt

As for using it - modern bins with modern coatings will be a lot better than this obviously uncoated example. If you are a collector, things are different of course. Although a 8.75 deg true field of view is quite nice in an 8x40 model... how sharp is it at the edge?

Joachim

Yes, I can tell a distinct difference between this binocular and something like my Audubons or the one other set of Zeiss that I have; the ones I mentioned up-thread.

They are very sharp, though. I am probably not the best judge, but they do seem sharp well out from the center. Not sure about to the very edge, though. They do give a comfortable view. Daytime views are a little washed out, but still enjoyable. I think with an internal cleaning, and a few adjustments, I think it might improve.

Stars are enjoyable. The moon was not as nice as I expected.

Still for an 89 year old set of glasses, pretty cool, in my opinion.
Joker

Zeiss Jena confirm your bino was made in 1930.

For a pic and more go to: http://www.archive.zeiss.de/zeig_start.fau?prj=zeiss&dm=museum&listex=Ident-Nummern&zeig=1017

Lee

Thank you. I wonder how it ended up that they were recorded as starting in '31.

Hi,

as for the model list with manufacturing times - unlike the serial number / year list which comes from factory records - it was compiled by collectors and thus might contain some inconsistencies.

I would only consider having them repaired or cleaned if they are either out of collimation or have visible dirt and you plan to use them...

Joachim

"First of all, everything I've read since posting says that they're exceptionally rare. Secondly, the pictures I've found don't look exactly Luke mine. Not sure mine are quite as squat. The eyepiece build looks different on mine too."
- Zeiss made two versions of the Delactem: the first one in 1930 when the model was introduced and a second in 1937 which was squatter looking having a shorter body and shorter eyepieces.

Regarding year of introduction - Usually collectors lacking other sources have to resort to historical catalogs, brochures and newspaper advertisements to date the introduction of old model binoculars although these methods may not always be accurate. Concerning Zeiss binoculars Dr. Hans Seeger has written two meticulously researched and voluminous books (unfortunately for English speakers mostly in German) about Zeiss binoculars 1894-1919 (2010) and 1919-1946 (2015) of which I have attached a picture of my copies (the papers you see sticking out of the books are my German to English translations). Dr. Seeger researched Zeiss workshop records in addition to other primary source documentation to determine when many of the different Zeiss model binoculars were introduced (and there were a bewildering number of different models) and the characteristics of these models. The Zeiss workshop records he used and which are reproduced in the books also provide definitive information about serial numbers and years of manufacture. Previously, the best Zeiss serial number information was the europa.com listing which although still useful and generally accurate cannot be used to accurately date Zeiss binoculars made between 1894-1907 and does not include a second “short number” serial number series used by Zeiss during WW 2.

Attachments

• DSC01136 (640x395).jpg
    DSC01136 (640x395).jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hello. I have just purchased a Zeiss 10 40 BGAT Classic. The serial number is 2182603. Can you please tell me in which year they were made?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back