• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (2 Viewers)

You can also access two further hides at Hondo reception area by going round the boardwalk, turn sharp left at the end and walk along the track for about 200m, a small one on your left and a better one a further 50m on your right.

El Hondo this morning, seems a lot quieter than my last visit in May. I don't really do out and out birding these days more looking for a photo opportunity, spent time with a couple of Spanish gents trying to photo tog a Kingfisher but no show. Personally I find Hondo quite long range and isn't suited to what I now focus on. Lots of Brit Birders having a "social meet up"

Birds of note....Bluethroat, Marsh Harrier male & female, Osprey, some eagle types (I need to get up to speed with these!) two people commented via scopes a "large" BOP in the distance

Keep them coming

Last edited:
Lining up a trip (for a friends party) at the beginning of November - sadly to Benidorm! Anyway, I see that I'm near El hondo (about an hour) so there are some benefits. I know that Spotted Eagles are there during the winter months.

As for access to the reserve I will not be available on a Saturday morning but on reading around I can overlook various parts of the reserve - Costa Blanca bird site has some maps. Does anyone know which hides will I be able to access? I don't want to reinvent the wheel so sorry if someone has already pointed these out.

Do I have targets? Well I think in addition to the above a Marbled Duck would be nice otherwise I'm happy to potter about exploring... Vistabella Road seems a good spot.

Also I see that around Benidorm is going to be worth exploring - in addition to the 'mountains' are there some marshes worth exploring? My twitching extends to about an hour in terms of driving so wouldn't want to go much further than El Hondo...

As I said I'm happy to explore but don't want to miss the obvious or the 'absolutely must do if you're in the area'.

Thankyou in advance...

I have been visiting the area for the last 10 years now, as my in-laws live in La Marina, just a few km from EL Hondo. And to date, I never did the official visit on a Saturday morning.

The hides along the Vistabella road (CV-861) are very easily accessed. Assuming you're driving, you can park under a few trees near a bend in the road (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/38°09'52.5"N+0°43'47.3"W/@38.1645837,-0.7306642) and cross over a small concrete bridge across the canal, then head right. There are 4 hides along that track between the concrete bridge and the CV-855. Each has quite a different outlook, onto open lakes or reedbeds or marshland.

And there are accessible hides at the San Felipe Neri visitor centre, even when the visitor centre is not open (which is most of the time!). There is a hide behind the visitor centre (good for Marbled Duck), a circular boardwalk with good views over small lakes, two more hides a short walk further on from the boardwalk, and then a tall tower on the path towards Vistabella Road (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/38°10'55.6"N+0°46'33.2"W/@38.1821203,-0.7771076)

EDIT: having reread your post, I realise that you probably won't have time to do both the above options. If you're after Marbled Duck, you need to head for the San Felipe visitor centre. The pool behind the visitor centre is usually good for Marbled Duck and Red-knobbed coot (originally, these were re-introduced, with conspicuous collars, but there are now "uncollared" birds seen). Marbled ducks can also be seen on the lake seen from the northernmost (left-hand) hide that you get to by turning left at the end of the boardwalk

Last edited:
Simon-P

I note one of the sites your hoping to visit include Los Urrutias, could you give some information on the location and what to look out for.

Thanks

Paul S

A decent cafe on the 'pier' here. Good for waders and Egrets. I normally get Kentish Plover as shown.

Attachments

• lu1.JPG
    lu1.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 67
Crossbill and crested tit yesterday as I walked to the beach from 'base camp mum', a good start. Local birding yesterday, day one, dead at Lo Monte though.

I have been visiting the area for the last 10 years now, as my in-laws live in La Marina, just a few km from EL Hondo. And to date, I never did the official visit on a Saturday morning.

The hides along the Vistabella road (CV-861) are very easily accessed. Assuming you're driving, you can park under a few trees near a bend in the road (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/38°09'52.5"N+0°43'47.3"W/@38.1645837,-0.7306642) and cross over a small concrete bridge across the canal, then head right. There are 4 hides along that track between the concrete bridge and the CV-855. Each has quite a different outlook, onto open lakes or reedbeds or marshland.

And there are accessible hides at the San Felipe Neri visitor centre, even when the visitor centre is not open (which is most of the time!). There is a hide behind the visitor centre (good for Marbled Duck), a circular boardwalk with good views over small lakes, two more hides a short walk further on from the boardwalk, and then a tall tower on the path towards Vistabella Road (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/38°10'55.6"N+0°46'33.2"W/@38.1821203,-0.7771076)

EDIT: having reread your post, I realise that you probably won't have time to do both the above options. If you're after Marbled Duck, you need to head for the San Felipe visitor centre. The pool behind the visitor centre is usually good for Marbled Duck and Red-knobbed coot (originally, these were re-introduced, with conspicuous collars, but there are now "uncollared" birds seen). Marbled ducks can also be seen on the lake seen from the northernmost (left-hand) hide that you get to by turning left at the end of the boardwalk

Thanks Lazza for info!

Nothing at Lo Monte, dead. The first pool at Clot de Galvany is overgrown again and nothing is viewable. Usual stuff at the second, nothing special. Second lake at El Fondo visitor centre is pretty much dry. A few bits around the the other pools. Lots of noisy Spaniards about today as it is a holiday. I made Hobby which is unsurprising as I have never seen as many dragonflies as this on previous visits.

I did manage this shot of a Sedge Warbler happily feeding amongst the reeds at fourth hide, top pool, Lo Monte which I understand has been there some time

Also...Chetties, Reed Warbler, loads of tits, LTT, GT, Grey Heron, Cormorant, but as you say quite. although I only spent around 1.5 hours there more occupied with the Sedge Warbler

untitled-407.jpg

Last edited:
Couple of shots from San Pedro...Black Winged Stilt, Curlew Sandpiper, Imm Greater Flamingo

I spend quite a lot of time at the Salinas San Pedro as its only about 6 miles from the property. Also had 20+ Black Tailed Godwit, loads of Ruff, 10+ Dunlin, 10+ Redshank, 10+ Ringed & 2+ Kentish Plover, 10+ Turnstone, 5+ Common Sandpiper, 150+ Blacked Neck Grebe, 40+ Slender Billed Gull, 30+ Audouins Gull, 6+ Gull Bill Terns, 1 Sparrow Hawk, 1 Little Bittern, 1 Grey Wagtail, big roost of 200+ Jackdaws leaving reed bed around first light

More images on....... https://rpswildlifetravels.blogspot.co.uk

untitled-377.jpguntitled-270.jpguntitled-435.jpg

Last edited:
Also did have a trip out Los Urrutias way, stopping at the traffic lights in the centre I could hear the unmistakable calls of Monk Parakeets which I spent a couple of hours photographing...

Monk Parakeet

untitled-435.jpg

Couple more images.....

El Mojon...Redshank

untitled-310.jpg

Salinas, El Pinet...Greenshank,
IQ not so good with this image as I was on a 2x externder at 1600mm focal length, even in good light I don't rate the 2X

Day 8-203.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, it's my fist post in this web.
Hello Bafty the Hondo have two part: north and south; you must visit both, in south have the Vistabella fields and the hides at the reserve (Reseva in spanish) if you cross a little bridge. Here, three days ago 80 Spooobills, Common greenshank, Spotted redshank, juvenile Bonelli's eagle, 2 Booted eagles and more. In the north part you'll go to the Information Center because there are three interesting lagoons.
I recomend you the visit to the feeding station for raptors in Alcoi because yesterday could see a another Rüpell's griffon, 2 in in this mounth and a lot of Griffons vultures. In the sorrounds is easy to see Crested tits, Crossbills, Rock buntings...
Good luck

We struggled to find the Alcoi site for the vultures a few years ago when we went (the sign had been removed) and only found it by luck. You get good views when they're perched and it's amazing when they're all above you soaring.

Anyone managed to catch up with the reported Black Shouldered Kite seen along the Palm Farm Track ?...see again yesterday

Images on the CBBS site

Users who are viewing this thread

Back