• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodgate Valley CP & Quinton Meadows (1 Viewer)

OK this is a short one as most of mine are and I did not spot much. I am mostly looking for birds on the brook. I saw the moorhen again and this time two chicks. Whilst looking on the brook, I saw a Song Thrush in the road hedge which I thought was pretty good. On a personal note, the swallows that built a nest in our alley way had 4 chicks hatch and they fledged and I saw them all sat on the telephone line getting fed. Now it's been pretty quiet and I've seen the odd one flying in and out. I was wondering if they'd try for another broad. Guess I will have to read up.

Found the heron again on the brook today, which seems to becoming a regular. Also found the moorhen and spotted some fish from a bridge.

I keep visiting but not seen much on the brook, last saw the moorhen and the chick. Bumped into a guy who had seen the kf recently and the resident muntjac.

Now back to running around Woodgate Valley CP. The best I saw was a Jay and Green Woodpecker. On the Brook I saw the moorhen chick again and for the first time in months a grey wagtail flying and landing along the brook! I found the heron further a long the brook near Bournville.

Only recently been reading other links, so apologies if this info is dated. Can confirm the dipper records. Also seen at another nearby location.
For the Woodgate list, add ringed neck parakeet, autumn 1991.
Was told by one of the ex rangers that water voles were resident along the stream but this was ten years ago. Around the same time there was a decent number along the stream at Selly Oak before the bypass was built. A pair of reed buntings was also breeding in the adjoining marsh.

Last edited:
I saw what I thought was a rat swimming along the brook in Woodgate valley this summer. Wish I'd taken a photo now to confirm as it might have been a vole. Would like to see a dipper at WV.

Only recently been reading other links, so apologies if this info is dated. Can confirm the dipper records. Also seen at another nearby location.
For the Woodgate list, add ringed neck parakeet, autumn 1991.
Was told by one of the ex rangers that water voles were resident along the stream but this was ten years ago. Around the same time there was a decent number along the stream at Selly Oak before the bypass was built. A pair of reed buntings was also breeding in the adjoining marsh.

The Voles are still on the Valley. well they were four years ago when i surveyed them. They used to be common along most of the Bourne Brook, but Air Rifles, Pollution and Habitat loss decimated them. Still a few there, but in smaller numbers.

As for the Bye pass, i was there when they put the dozer through the Marsh where the Buntings were breeding. It was also a secondary habitat for the voles during winter, and i picked up a few "nests" that had been crushed.

In a round-a-bout way, it enabled us to get mitigation on several other species aswell as the voles. Still leaves a sour taste, however.

I thought after today's update it would be worth me writing down a list of all the species I have seen in Woodgate this year (and indeed therefore, ever):

Carrion Crow
Magpie
Jay
Jackdaw
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Stock Dove
Feral Pigeon
Blackbird
Redwing
Fieldfare
Mistle Thrush
Song Thrush
Dunnock
Wren
Robin
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Willow Tit
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Bullfinch
Siskin
Linnet
Lesser Redpoll
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Treecreeper
Nuthatch
Goldcrest
Mallard
Grey Wagtail
Pied Wagtail
House Sparrow
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Buzzard
Peregrine
Herring Gull
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Lapwing
Pheasant
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Blackcap
Starling
Meadow Pipit
House Martin
Reed Bunting

As mentioned though, plenty more possible.

Cheers :t:

Keep up the good work and happy your getting a good list together. Enjoy adding to it;)

Are water voles still there?

As for the Bye pass, i was there when they put the dozer through the Marsh where the Buntings were breeding. It was also a secondary habitat for the voles during winter, and i picked up a few "nests" that had been crushed.

In a round-a-bout way, it enabled us to get mitigation on several other species aswell as the voles. Still leaves a sour taste, however.

Can't help on the water voles i'm afraid, i've never seen one there but Dave J will have a better idea than i do.

Spend an hour there on a very wet saturday afternoon. Main highlights were 3 Buzzards, several Jays fighting it out in some trees and a Grey Wagtail by the brook. Away from the brook though it is very very quiet at the moment.

Cheers :t:

You used to see them by the footbridge and road bridge. There was a lot of wildlife there. Saw slow-worm by Battery Park. Good for mammals; stoat and weasel on the railway embankment. A classic example of how urban brownfield sites are undervalued.
There was also a pair of buzzards hanging around. They were still a rarity then.

Voles

Are water voles still there?

On the hospital site, im not so sure.

Part of the mitigation was for them to be translocated to another site that already has Voles. They did want to put them in the Canal running behind the site, which just proves what a bunch of fools were actually involved with the site.

I was told that Voles still inhabit the Bourne Brook running on the other side of Harborne Lane, but i have not checked myself, since the whole affair regarding the development has left a big scar which still gets me angry.

Im pretty confident that Voles can still be found at Woodgate, though their numbers are quite low. Shame, because there was a time when you would be dead unlucky not to see or hear one along the whole stretch ( the reverse today).

:C

I took a quick run round WVCP yesterday afternoon. Didn't see much except crows, pigeons and magpies. Just when I thought I had seen enough magpies I saw more - probably over 30. Not much on the Brook, I keep returning hoping to see the kingfisher again. Especially now the leaves are falling. I did see something in the brook, looked like the moorhen I usually see rather than a vole.

Still visiting each weekend, still not seen the return of the kingfisher. This afternoon I found a heron in the tree on the brook where I have seen the kingfisher before. It must be the bends! Also found the moorhen up a tree and it's chick from this year in the brook. Good to see it's survived this long.

8-12-13

A late morning stroll around the local patch today for the first time in a very long time. There has been quite a bit of work going on to cut back some of the paths and it looks pretty good to me.

Birdwise, species list is below but nothing too out of the ordinary:

BH Gull, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Crow, Wren, Robin, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Jay (at least 6 individuals), Redwing (hundreds), Fieldfare, Blackbird, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Mistle Thrush.

No sign of the Willow/Marsh Tit which wintered here last year but will keep an eye out.

Did see something shiny looking in a tree from a way off, turned out to be a trolley!! 3:)

Cheers

8-12-13

A late morning stroll around the local patch today for the first time in a very long time. There has been quite a bit of work going on to cut back some of the paths and it looks pretty good to me.

Birdwise, species list is below but nothing too out of the ordinary:

BH Gull, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Crow, Wren, Robin, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Jay (at least 6 individuals), Redwing (hundreds), Fieldfare, Blackbird, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Mistle Thrush.

No sign of the Willow/Marsh Tit which wintered here last year but will keep an eye out.

Did see something shiny looking in a tree from a way off, turned out to be a trolley!! 3:)

Cheers

Hi Baggie Dave, once again that's an impressive list. Where did you see the woodpeckers and Jays? All I ever see is magpies and crows. I've not see the Grey Wagtail. Saw a couple over the weekend on the Wood Brook/Bourne and Griffins Brook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back