• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thekla vs. crested lark Southern Spain (1 Viewer)

Finbirder

Hi

what do you think, both pictures Thekla larks?

-Finbirder

Attachments

• wKivikkok1.jpg
    wKivikkok1.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 279
  • wToyhtok3.jpg
    wToyhtok3.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 294
The bill structure (noticeably down-curved upper mandible) in the second image, and the relatively lighter striations to the chest, might favour Crested over Thekla?

Cheers

#2 is Crested, the bottom edge of the lower mandible is rather straight, Thekla would have a convex edge. ( #1 is probably one as well ).

I may be mis-judging but the 10th primary looks long on the 2nd bird which would make it a Thekla - though it looks better for Crested on general colour tone and thickness of breast streaking. Bill is hard to judge for me!

1st photo looks clearly Thekla and I suppose Crested for the 2nd.

Thanks for all the replys. On field the impression was #1thekla because I had the chance to compare it to a typical crested. The bird on photo 1 had clearly more grayer overall colour with more contrast. Also the bill looked smaller and face "impression" looked different.

Photo2 looked like a crested to me but I was hesistant afterwards because the bill did not look as big with many other cresteds. Also the plumage and chest streakings look quite same to bird 1. Colour is much browner though.

Not easy but i guess the conclusion seems thekla for 1 and crested 2

Simon,
the outermost (reduced) primary in the 2nd bird is clearly shorter than the primary coverts, so it fits Crested Lark very well.

Hi again guys!

here's another two lark individuals that I am unsure of, on field I thought they are Crested Larks, but after looking the picture at least the second one might be a Thekla? I'd like to have your comments on these.
These are also from Southern Spain.

Attachments

• kuva+1.JPG
    kuva+1.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 78
  • kuva+2.JPG
    kuva+2.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 77
  • kuva+3.JPG
    kuva+3.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 86
  • kuva+4.JPG
    kuva+4.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 77
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back