• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question - Sa Mola de S'Esclops (1 Viewer)

htcdude

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help. I think Sa Mola de S'Esclops is going to be the nearest place to me to escape for a couple of hours in the morning before the family wakes up when we're on hols next week. I've read a bit about the place in books (especially the Birding Tourist's Guide to Majorca, 2010), but I've also found online that there was a fire there in 2012 and a lot of the habitat was destroyed?

Does anyone know the area well enough to know how much it has changed and what I'm likely to see please?

Also, is the best place to park on the spot shown on the map below and follow the windy track up?

sa mola de s'esclops.JPG

Thanks,

Nige

Hi Nige. Sorry you have had no response.
It’s an area I used to go to a lot. I went many times to cover the story of the fire for our local newspaper so I watched the environment slowly recover.
Like all fires, good things came out of the disaster. The fire was one of the worst ever and hundreds of homes were evacuated. The wind blew the wrong way and incredible amount of damage occurred.
It’s a great area for climbing and walking, some serious walks start from the area and the views are stunning. There are a few bars and restaurants along the coastline there which offer the most breathtaking views along the shoreline and out to sea.
I feel sure you will love the place.
Birdwise, it’s a crossover time with winter birds departing (I am still seeing Thrushes and Robins) and summer migrants arriving. There are some rare birds seen in that area so you just never know. Please do let us know what you see, few birders go to there so coverage is scarce.
Good luck, Mike

Ps there was a bit of parking at the bottom where the walk starts, enough for two or three cars so getting there early is probably best.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.
It sounded like the fire was quite devastating, but glad it's recovering.

And thank you for the info, I will see if can get down there one day for a couple of hours before the family are up ��

Nige

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back